Explanation of the phantom routes.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Nice writeup initially about DK knee - but also an explanation of the 'phantom route(s)' play DK was running last game - there was another thread with a video highlight.

The thing that JUMPED out at me was the following quote from the article:

“The receivers have a big part in the running game and it’s not always the blocks,” Carroll said. “They have to recognize what the situation is, how they can get their guy and eliminate him from the play. (Offensive coordinator) Shane (Waldron) has been talking about how it takes all 11 to run the football; everybody has to be a part of it, and contribute. That’s a good illustration. We love seeing that, pointing that out and making a big deal about it.”

This means that PC is listening to Waldron. This means that the offense will continue to evolve, and in a collaborative fashion - what we've all been waiting for! Sounds to me like Waldron has buy-in from the top all the way down. Good on him!

Edit: It also means that we're getting TO the actual Waldron offense which we've waited for. One of the initial things that was talked about when he came on was that with the 3TE sets and the 'stuff' that he wanted to do (approximate quote): "You won't be able to tell if it's a run play or a pass play". Seems like we're getting there.

It also means that this kinda subtle misdirection that we've seen creeping into these plays, and stuff like the direct snap overhead fake by Geno - are designed - and part of the long term plan. Awesome.

I love it! Just keeps getting better this year.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It’s good that they’re getting buy in from everyone too. The quote about taking 11 to run… I remember a game from the Mora Era with Housh out wide on one wing and Burleson on the other. It was a run up the middle so both guys just stepped in front of their defender and did nothing but olé the CBs. One of those CBs caused a fumble, the other recovered it. It’s great to see the extra effort from this squad.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I really like what we're seeing from Waldron, I hope to God he's here for more than a year.

The article is paywalled, what does it say about DK's knee?

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I really like what we're seeing from Waldron, I hope to God he's here for more than a year.

The article is paywalled, what does it say about DK's knee?
I hope to God he's here for a WHILE. We finally have what we need there.

BEHIND the paywall as requested:

"That may mean the big story of last week — would Metcalf be able to recover from a scary knee injury suffered on Oct. 23 against the Chargers in Los Angeles? — may be a non-story this week.

Metcalf held his weekly news conference Wednesday, something he didn’t do last week when it was unclear if he could play against the Giants.

Metcalf made it back well enough to start, play 40 snaps and catch six passes, including his third touchdown of the season.

Wednesday, he said it was never really a question in his mind that he would play, despite being carted off the field in Los Angeles with a patella tendon injury.

“I told myself I was going to play and I don’t try to put negative thoughts in my head, because when I say I’m going to do something I’m going to do it,” Metcalf said. “I just had to convince Pete (Carroll) and everybody else that I was going to play, because they were trying to protect me at all costs.”

The Seahawks did try to not overuse Metcalf as his snaps were down about 20% from a usual game.

Via Pro Football Focus, he ran routes on 29 of his 40 snaps, and was targeted on 10 of those. That limited his run-blocking snaps to just 11."

Nunya

Reaction score
If a WR can get their defender to bite of a phantom pass, it is as good as a block....maybe even better.