First Round OT ?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they're comfortable with the cupboard bare at LT behind Brown, other than Cedric Ogbuehi who has been genuinely terrible in the NFL as a starter.

It wouldn't shock me if they roll the dice and ignore it, though, because there ain't much there at LT without trading up significantly. Probably better to shore up the interior line (with it being a strength of this drafts sweet spot) and hope for the best at the respective tackle positions.

Fant may not have seemed important, but if Brown goes down and Ogbuehi steps in, I think we're all gonna miss George a little bit.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
One thing that concerns me about our draft intent is that we already have a slug of O Line guys on hand. Pete likes tenure types for O Line. I'm thinking we might get one more in the draft but use the rest of our picks at other spots. And that may be as it SHOULD be. We HAVE to get our defense back to a higher level. We've already made some progress on that for both line and secondary, but we've still got needs. In addition I see RB as an obvious priority with one of our higher picks before the pool is diluted to also rans. You just can't rely on finding a Carson in the castoffs. We got lucky at that once already, so trying to do it again is like trying to draw an ace of spades twice in a shuffle.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I read something the other day about guys who'll go higher than your seeing in most mocks. They identified a couple of tackles, Ezra Cleveland and Thomas were both called out.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3u64g8r7 said:
I like Thomas a lot but he's a guard or right tackle. The only LT prospect I've found so far that to me projects as a left tackle is Ezra Cleveland from Boise. He stands straight up in the run game, and may not be the best scheme fit, but I don't see anyone else with left tackle level pass protection pass the first two guys.

The way the game is played in today's NFL, teams are moving their premium pass rushers around. The distinction between LT and RT is barely discernible now.

I think it has a great deal to do with the explosion of 3 WR sets and move TEs. You don't see a great many inline TEs playing on passing downs. So where a strong side end would have to deal with a possible TE chip and RT -- they are just now left with a RT.

Good teams are doubling up on DEs. Even tripling up. Mainly because in today's NFL, the bottleneck in OL talent is at OT. Most teams don't have one very good OT, much less two.

I don't think the premium on 'is he a LT' exists anymore except with the Dave Gettlemans of the league. The NFL game has evolved beyond the one stud and one turd OT scheme. DCs are moving their premium rushers around to take advantage of better matchups.

Philadelphia, KC, SF and NE are prime examples of teams that draft and consider LT/RT to be non existent distinctions, but rather two virtually identical needs.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":dz13olkt said:
Tical21":dz13olkt said:
I like Thomas a lot but he's a guard or right tackle. The only LT prospect I've found so far that to me projects as a left tackle is Ezra Cleveland from Boise. He stands straight up in the run game, and may not be the best scheme fit, but I don't see anyone else with left tackle level pass protection pass the first two guys.

The way the game is played in today's NFL, teams are moving their premium pass rushers around. The distinction between LT and RT is barely discernible now.

I think it has a great deal to do with the explosion of 3 WR sets and move TEs. You don't see a great many inline TEs playing on passing downs. So where a strong side end would have to deal with a possible TE chip and RT -- they are just now left with a RT.

Good teams are doubling up on DEs. Even tripling up. Mainly because in today's NFL, the bottleneck in OL talent is at OT. Most teams don't have one very good OT, much less two.

I don't think the premium on 'is he a LT' exists anymore except with the Dave Gettlemans of the league. The NFL game has evolved beyond the one stud and one turd OT scheme. DCs are moving their premium rushers around to take advantage of better matchups.

Philadelphia, KC, SF and NE are prime examples of teams that draft and consider LT/RT to be non existent distinctions, but rather two virtually identical needs.

This sounds more like a theory conjured up by IPA sipping millennials addicted to fantasy football than the hands, feet & passpro of a blindside protector & whats coming off the edge. Wow, guys like Walter Jones & Joe Thomas are suddenly almost obsolete overnite & whats driving it?, because defenses have put a priority on pass rushers and are moving them around more, sure... sounds legit :roll: . The Seahawks place such a premium on sacks that they drafted LJ Collier, an every down DE #29 in the first knowing he will never be a Derrick Thomas. As for 3 WR sets & evolving TE's, again this sounds more Madden speak than addressing the actual protection a QB needs to deliver the ball down the field. Your post sounds like someone who really wants to draft defense and is straining to make a case against something you see as a backburner LT prospect. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure our FO won't seriously address a LT in this draft, they'll opt to wait until Duane Brown steps aside & scramble for one later. But it will be OK, according to your line of thinking it will be easy as finding a big lumbering RT for a left handed QB.

Tical21

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1a7ps6qc said:
Tical21":1a7ps6qc said:

I still think having the blind side protected is far more important than the front side. Fumbles happen from the backside.

Latest posts