FoxSports isn’t buying what’s going on in Denver

Polk738

Reaction score
Wilson wasn't beating the Jets either, if anything Gardner definitely would've picked him off in the endzone at least once in that game

Threedee

Reaction score
Hackett has kinda painted himself into a corner. When everything started going south, beginning in the very first game, he dutifully fell on his sword with things like "I'm responsible" and "It starts with me." There has been enough wobble in how he presents things that he has lost a lot of the Bronco crowd. I don't think the fine thing would fly at all. I do think he could probably get away with straight-up benching Wilson if Rypien had shown anything, but he didn't show much.

This is the bed that Hackett has made, and now he has to lie in it. And I think if he were to try anything like that, it has as much chance of getting him fired as any other result.
He's been a bad coach, but, I think the only two calls he has made that are universally reviled were going for the unmakable FG in one game, followed by not calling for the safe FG to force OT in the later game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He's been a bad coach, but, I think the only two calls he has made that are universally reviled were going for the unmakable FG in one game, followed by not calling for the safe FG to force OT in the later game.
I know some people have re-thought their assessments of Hackett's decision to go for the FG in Seattle based on how bad Russ has played since then. There was some obvious incongruity between going for the 64 yard FG and not going for the shorter FG later. But there have been a lot of plays that Hackett got roasted for, that I'm not 100% convinced were plays he necessarily called for. I don't know how much autonomy Russ has had, or how many of those play calls were on him, but I'm pretty sure Hackett is never going to talk about it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Russ was all-in on that first call. He didn't want to try that 4th and 5 in Seattle. He has enough autonomy to burn a timeout when he wants to - he's the damn quarterback, and his coach is his "partner."

He also would've fought to go for it if he actually wanted to even after burning all that time, because they had 20 seconds and two timeouts left. Russ fought to go for it in 2013 in the NFCCG vs. San Fran.

Hackett may have wanted to kick, but Russ wanted them to kick too. It's obvious to me. The blowback from that probably also caused them to aggressively go for it for no reason against Indy, when he promptly threw a horrible pick - exactly the type of failure he was scared of in a legacy game against Seattle. All on his shoulders.

Threedee

Reaction score
I know some people have re-thought their assessments of Hackett's decision to go for the FG in Seattle based on how bad Russ has played since then. There was some obvious incongruity between going for the 64 yard FG and not going for the shorter FG later. But there have been a lot of plays that Hackett got roasted for, that I'm not 100% convinced were plays he necessarily called for. I don't know how much autonomy Russ has had, or how many of those play calls were on him, but I'm pretty sure Hackett is never going to talk about it.
Most bad plays will always have defenders. Those two are a bit impossible, though. In the Book of Bevell, there will always be 2nd & 1 from the Goal Line vs all of those failed screens and whatnot.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Russ was all-in on that first call. He didn't want to try that 4th and 5 in Seattle. He has enough autonomy to burn a timeout when he wants to - he's the damn quarterback, and his coach is his "partner."

He also would've fought to go for it if he actually wanted to even after burning all that time, because they had 20 seconds and two timeouts left. Russ fought to go for it in 2013 in the NFCCG vs. San Fran.

Hackett may have wanted to kick, but Russ wanted them to kick too. It's obvious to me. The blowback from that probably also caused them to aggressively go for it for no reason against Indy, when he promptly threw a horrible pick - exactly the type of failure he was scared of in a legacy game against Seattle. All on his shoulders.
Exactly!

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson needs a Ditka to snap his ass out of the Hollywood walk of fame mentality. A coach that will say run the plays or I sit you regardless of your salary, tell him he's going to be the next Doug Flutie and ride the pine and get moments to shine and passed around the league the rest of his career.

toffee

Reaction score
This has Mark's fingerprints all over it. Russ should never have hired a baseball agent to handle his contracts in the NFL. Hackett is not the best coach, but Russ better not think that a new coach is going to help him do a complete 180. His flaws have been exposed, and now he has to deal with it.
A new coach would be a gamble, there's no guarantee Russ will suddenly be great with a new coach. BUT, if Russell's improvement from this new coach turned out to be marginal, then Russ ran out of excuses.

toffee

Reaction score

You totally nailed it, that was my opinion during the game when all these played itself out. Wilson did not say a word, not with Hackett, not with anyone during those TWO timeouts. He didn't tell his 'partner' that he wanted to in, he just sat there. The original decision was to go for it on that 4th and 5, the offense was lineup for snapping the ball. At the last second, Russ called that time out and just walked off the field. Hackett knew at that point that Russ didn't want to take that risk, if anything, Hackett covered for Russ.

Did you guys notice that teammates started all the side eyes, and other disrespectful stuff after that first game? THEY KNEW.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

That first one doesn't appear to have been Hackett's fault. He had sent in a play on that final fourth down against the Seahawks. Wilson helped position a couple of teammates, then got to where he was supposed to receive the snap. As the play clock wound down, a few of Wilson's teammates looked back at him as if to ask "what the hell's going on?!" They were clearly waiting for Wilson to call the signal for the snap, but he didn't. He obviously wasn't trying to draw the Seahawks offside, because he didn't even try the hard count. He just let the play clock run out.
I'm not sure if the Seahawks did something unexpected with their defensive alignment, and Wilson didn't know what to make of it (he's not exactly known for being great at reading defenses), or if he just didn't get the look he was hoping to get, or what. But Wilson didn't start the play, the play clock ran out, and the Broncos took a time out to avoid the delay-of-game penalty.
Wilson had said for years that he "lives for" such moments, and he, Hackett, and their parrots in the media had been saying for months that Wilson and Hackett's relationship was a partnership, not a player-coach relationship. Further, we all saw when Wilson, Team 3, and their media buddies said that Wilson leaving Seattle for Denver wasn't about money, but about "control," and that Wilson had gotten the control he wanted from the Broncos. So if Wilson had wanted the ball in his hands on the Broncos' final fourth down in the game in Seattle, he could have had it. But when the Broncos called the time out, Wilson went to the sideline and toward the bench without any effort to talk to Hackett about going for it. After they lined up for the field-goal attempt, Carroll called a time out to "ice" the kicker. The Broncos took advantage and snapped the ball after the time out was granted and took a practice kick anyway, which should have been a penalty, and the extra yards would have forced the Broncos to go for it, but it wasn't called. So Wilson had two time outs to talk to his "partner" Hackett and try to get another chance to run a fourth-down play, but he didn't even try.
Conclusion: even though Hackett had initially sent in a go-for-it play for fourth down, Wilson made a "business decision." He showed us how yellow he is and 🐔chickened out 🐔. He decided it was better to let the kicker try what would have been tied for the second-longest field goal in NFL history (and a yard longer than Tom Dempsey's old record that had stood for decades) and let the head coach take the blame than for Wilson himself to be involved in the last play if they failed to get the first down.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
That first one doesn't appear to have been Hackett's fault. He had sent in a play on that final fourth down against the Seahawks. Wilson helped position a couple of teammates, then got to where he was supposed to receive the snap. As the play clock wound down, a few of Wilson's teammates looked back at him as if to ask "what the hell's going on?!" They were clearly waiting for Wilson to call the signal for the snap, but he didn't. He obviously wasn't trying to draw the Seahawks offside, because he didn't even try the hard count. He just let the play clock run out.
I'm not sure if the Seahawks did something unexpected with their defensive alignment, and Wilson didn't know what to make of it (he's not exactly known for being great at reading defenses), or if he just didn't get the look he was hoping to get, or what. But Wilson didn't start the play, the play clock ran out, and the Broncos took a time out to avoid the delay-of-game penalty.
Wilson had said for years that he "lives for" such moments, and he, Hackett, and their parrots in the media had been saying for months that Wilson and Hackett's relationship was a partnership, not a player-coach relationship. Further, we all saw when Wilson, Team 3, and their media buddies said that Wilson leaving Seattle for Denver wasn't about money, but about "control," and that Wilson had gotten the control he wanted from the Broncos. So if Wilson had wanted the ball in his hands on the Broncos' final fourth down in the game in Seattle, he could have had it. But when the Broncos called the time out, Wilson went to the sideline and toward the bench without any effort to talk to Hackett about going for it. After they lined up for the field-goal attempt, Carroll called a time out to "ice" the kicker. The Broncos took advantage and snapped the ball after the time out was granted and took a practice kick anyway, which should have been a penalty, and the extra yards would have forced the Broncos to go for it, but it wasn't called. So Wilson had two time outs to talk to his "partner" Hackett and try to get another chance to run a fourth-down play, but he didn't even try.
Conclusion: even though Hackett had initially sent in a go-for-it play for fourth down, Wilson made a "business decision." He showed us how yellow he is and 🐔chickened out 🐔. He decided it was better to let the kicker try what would have been tied for the second-longest field goal in NFL history (and a yard longer than Tom Dempsey's old record that had stood for decades) and let the head coach take the blame than for Wilson himself to be involved in the last play if they failed to get the first down.
Funny that you say that...
Herbet was confused with our defense as well. So i have to wonder if defensively as well that we're doing a good job at hiding looks now.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Nailed it!

QWERTY

Reaction score

Quote:”
Monday on 2 Pros and Cup of Joe, Jonas Knox calls BS on reports that Russell Wilson wanted to play against the Jets, but it was Nathaniel Hackett who ultimately made the call to sit him because of injury. Jonas thinks it was really Russ who wanted out of the game because he wanted to expose Nathaniel Hackett and the rest of the team for being the problem in Denver.”

Just a snippet