Frank Smith Discussion

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Frank Smith is the current Dolphins offensive coordinator under young phenom Mike McDaniel. Frank doesn't call plays, but he does assist with the implementation of the entire offense. Recently voted as the top offensive coordinator in the league by a large NFLPA survey answered by almost every NFL player according to the amount of votes.

The Dolphins have been Shanahan-tree madness this year let down by a limited quarterback. They run more two-back sets than any other team in the NFL, and they have a yards per play that is outside of the orbit of any other team in the NFL other than the Niners.

Frank Smith wasn't born in that new-wave Shanahan world. He was the assistant coach of the Saints OL from 2010-2014. Moved on to coach TEs with the Bears and Raiders. Coordinated the run game and coached the OL of the Chargers in 2021 before landing his current gig.

Frank's got a bit of everything. Bit of Reid tree, bit of experience under Payton, and now experience coordinating the offense that's breaking the NFL. His background in the run game is especially appealing given the identity issues we've experienced on offense.

Frank coordinates one of the most efficient rushing attacks in NFL history currently.

He'll have to answer for how much of this is McDaniel's masterwork and how much of it is his, but if you're looking to capture the success of the Shanahan offense that can run through you and pass around you, Frank Smith is probably the premier candidate for that.

The current Shanahan 21 offense will be figured out eventually, just like the McVay 11 has. Will Frank Smith be able to guide the ship once it is? Well... fair to wonder. Frank is green as they come. No playcalling experience. It'll depend on the lessons that he's learned from the other offensive geniuses in the NFL, and if he's ready to put his own touches on his remasters of the greatest hits.

On the personal side, Frank Smith is beloved by his players. Ask Darren Waller how much Frank Smith means to him personally, for an example. I don't have any concerns about his temperament. Good guy.

Feel free to discuss Frank's candidacy below.

Resume attached for further background.

Screenshot 20240116 113349 Wikipedia

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like him as a potential candidate and him not calling plays doesn't worry me at all. I'd be good with him if he's picked. Players voted him the best in the league to play for and they love him. The Waller story is something you want your head coach to have.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have to plead the 5th on most of these coordinators, but I'm with PNW. It's hard to get excited for a coordinator when his HC still has playcalling duties, and makes all the in game adjusting like McDaniels does in Miami.

But if Schneider interviews Smith and he blows him away with all the other intangibles? Good enough for me.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
My concern, did his HC do all the heavy lifting?

Harbaugh is miles ahead of any other option, has a draft advantage for the next 3-4 years, and past nfl sucess. If winning is what we seek, he should be the guy, from a business standpoint.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My concern, did his HC do all the heavy lifting?

Harbaugh is miles ahead of any other option, has a draft advantage for the next 3-4 years, and past nfl sucess. If winning is what we seek, he should be the guy, from a business standpoint.
I don't think the draft advantage is all that real. Didn't really help him in SF.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
I think it was more Scott McDrunkface or whatever his name was.
Maybe some, along with a little luck but most likely it was a combination of factors, one being, Pete had insider knowledge and the power to call the shots.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if Frank Smith would be a good hire. He'd be coming from the Dolphins, whose offense the last 2 seasons has looked both methodical & explosive, I know he technically didn't call plays, but surely he had to have some part in it, I doubt he just sits on the sidelines twiddling his thumbs.

Someone here said that Miami's offense can make up for OL's that can't hold on too long, which sadly describes Seattle's OL. Maybe his past experience with OL's/TE's/RB's is just what this team needs.

Lastly, some here have said they want a Dan Cambell-type leader, I would like that as well. By all accounts he is someone whose personality & leadership commands respect, being voted #1 OC by the NFLPA is a great achievement.

So for me, it's between him, Johnson, and Macdonald, I would be happy with any one of them.

toffee

Reaction score
Two thoughts:
  1. Our last OC, also didn't call plays before he joined us. McVay called his own plays, Waldron didn't
  2. Frank Smith was twice the OL coach, that's our weakness.