Fun Fact: 10 of Wilson's final 11 games had *worse* protect

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3vdlv0sz said:
Maelstrom787":3vdlv0sz said:
Fun fact: A 67% Pass Block Win Rate over a full season would have been the third best mark in the league. Pretty heinous omission of context there from the supposedly objective Baldwin.

I think his point is, Wilson regularly deals with pressure that we have normalized.

For every sack people blame Wilson for, how many has he avoided?

If you add Sacks caused by Russ minus Sacks avoided by Russ + O-line protection issues, you still get a pretty bad result.

I don't really care about the overall point. I'm not arguing against improving the line, in fact I agree that it should be a priority. I'm saying that manipulating statistics to draw a conclusion that the stats in no way lead to is bad. Baldwin did that by phrasing a 67% PBWR as bad (it's not), and then switching to "ranking" in the next tweet without elaborating that he was talking about entirely different rankings... likely PFF rankings. It's plainly dishonest.

The graph shows the predominant issue with the line quite clearly, in my opinion: inconsistency. They played like one of the best and one of the worst lines depending on game, and we never really knew which would show up. I'm of the opinion that this likely points more to scheme/coaching rather than talent, and regardless of acquisitions, I think the line is going to look better in Waldron's scheme. The previous scheme was highly difficult for an offensive lineman.

If it were as easy as acquiring a new left guard or a new center, it would've been fixed by now.

hoxrox

Reaction score
According to John Clayton, the O-line was ranked 9th with success rate on passing downs. :?:

[youtube]l_gJDl4rBYw[/youtube]

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":50a8pm1d said:
According to John Clayton, the O-line was ranked 9th with success rate on passing downs. :?:

[youtube]l_gJDl4rBYw[/youtube]

Footballoutsders has them ranked 30th in pass blocking so it depends on whose number you use.

Most use only sacks as their reference number, however you also need to worry about hits, hurries, and pressures.

I have seen as low as 16th never 9th. I have seen for the first 5 games 9th, but not for the whole season.

Since PC has been here this is how the sacks line up

Sacks given up by Seahawks oline since PC got here

2010 42
2011 50
2012 33 Wilson first year
2013 44
2014 42
2015 45
2016 41
2017 43
2018 51
2019 48
2020 47

Seasons with offensive line in the top half of the league in pass block grade:

Patrick Mahomes: 3 of 3
Aaron Rodgers: 12 of 13
Russell Wilson: 0 of 9

Someone posted his oline rankings for while he has been here. I cant find it but Footballoutsiders has this, keep in mind they take into account sacks that are a result of the QB.

2020 - 30th
2019 - 24th
2018 - 30th
2017 - 25th
2016 - 25th
2015 - 31st
2014 - 24th
1013 - 32nd
2012 - 20th

So best 20th avg 27th

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2cg0wupe said:
Fun fact: A 67% Pass Block Win Rate over a full season would have been the third best mark in the league. Pretty heinous omission of context there from the supposedly objective Baldwin.

It just goes to show the level of protection Mahomes needs to be elite.

I am getting a kick out of people actually watching another franchise QB for a change, and realizing that they do not walk on water. You have to actually support them, give them a good scheme, build a proper offensive line, give them weapons.

Y'know what the Seahawks have done a piss poor job at for most of Wilson's career. Yet, Wilson has better numbers than all of them. Save for Mahomes last 3 seasons, but it's still close between the 2.

Good for Wilson to callout PCJS, and demand better. It shows Wilson actually cares, he isn't cool with just collecting his money, putting on a fake smile and going off quietly into the night with 1 SuperBowl. He wants to win. The Seahawks should do whatever they can to support Wilson on his endeavor. Lord knows, Pete's one and done way has failed spectacularly over the last 5 years.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
If Russ wants better protection, he could free up some cap room off his salary for starters.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3t3snhd6 said:
If Russ wants better protection, he could free up some cap room off his salary for starters.

That won't happen. He needs that money to buy the Seahawks one day. After all, it's about his legacy.