Gee Scott "Stick to Sports" Gee talks about Sports influence

ivotuk

Reaction score
This, IMHO, is probably the best show he's EVER done. I used to think that athletes should just "Stick to Sports," but recent events have changed my narrow-minded view of the topic. Narrow-minded because I didn't include all of the Charity work that Athletes do. Foolish on my part.

Thank you Gee Scott for helping me better understand.

Initially I was also against MB sitting during the National Anthem, but Ray Robert's podcast helped me understand the goal much better, and I now support Michael.

The Ray Roberts podcast blew me away. I'll post it as soon as I can find the link.

One other podcast had Brandon Mebane talking about being discriminated against in LA. When the owners of an apartment found out that Mebane was black, the refused to lease the apartment to him. I was stunned.

Admittedly, growing up in Alaska, I haven't had much exposure to racism. But I've grown in that respect when I broadened my horizons, and I've learned much more as a Seahawks fans, listening to players speak.

Like Cortez Kennedy stated: "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks." Because they are doing something as a team that is influencing the Country, in a positive way.

Gee Scott in for JOHN CLAYTON September 25, 2017 - Hour 1

Gee Scott is in for the Professor today. He starts the show with a moving reflection on sports and how unifying they can be

Then, In the top 5, he discusses the Seahawks loss to the Titans, UW and WSU's big wins over the weekend, The Mariners officially being eliminated from the playoffs, and the Raiders falling to Washington in the Sunday Night Football match-up. Then, Gee takes your calls on the biggest thing the Seahawks need to fix, and Mike Sando joins the show for Behind the Lines.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... hn+Clayton

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading that; great post.

Out of curiosity, how was life growing up in Alaska?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2nzopzwc said:
Enjoyed reading that; great post.

Out of curiosity, how was life growing up in Alaska?

In all reality, not a whole lot different than anywhere else. Colder, more adventure and wild animals. My dad was an airline pilot, bush pilot, and guide. So a bush pilot and guide is what I become. Dad was also WWII Pilot in the Army Air Corp, flew in the Berlin Airlift, and was in for 20 years. Transferred to Alaska in '57 and retired after 20 years in 1961.

2 Military bases so a lot of different people from all over the U.S. and all ethnicitys. You didn't pay that any mind though. When I made a trip to the deep south and saw how African-Americans were treated, I was shocked.

Went through 3rd and 4th grade in a B.I.A. school in Kaktovik where there was one from for 1st through 4th, and another room for 5th through 8th. Then they shipped those poor Eskimo kids to a B.I.A. high school in Denver. Talk about culture shock.

I did go through 1st and 2nd grade in Austin, Texas.

That's a condensed version :)

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
That's an impressive life man. It's like you've lived a couple in just one.

Explains why you're so open minded.

mikeak

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I have been for the protest. I have seen discrimination and compared it to other countries where I have lived and TO ME it is blatant in the US and starts at such a young age that it unfortunately is ingrained in society.

With that said I did hear something yesterday on the radio. Some guest on Mike and Mike (normally hate that show) but he said something I have thought about. What he said makes me now feel that the protest happened, the protest had the intended effect now build from that by standing or do the Dallas think and take a knee prior to the anthem and then stand to keep showing that this is something to work towards.

I am paraphrasing but what was said is that politics is debated everywhere now. We fight about it with friends and people have lost friends and stopped talking to family members because of how polarizing politics has become. I do find myself in that group so I understand it.

So if you don't have a place where you can NOT talk politics - where you can NOT avoid creating separation then where and when are people supposed to come together? Where are they supposed to realize that the guy or gal next to me is just like me maybe a little richer or poorer but at the end of the day they have the same goals and aspiration. If you don't have those places in society then you will never end up with people trying to understand each other.

Sports was one of those places. Where you have a pick-up game, sit down and watch a game and yell at the ref etc and now even here does it create a divide and does not build bridges.

As I said - I was for the protest, I do think it has created the awareness and now I do hope that it can build on that and create unity which will not happen as long as the protests continues. So to tie to the OP -- I do think it is time to get back to playing sports and separately continue the movement outside of the arena. Even if there is a protest at the beginning of each season the every game thing should IMHO stop

hawk45

Reaction score
I think it's unhelpful to conflate "don't disrespect the flag/anthem" with "stick to sports."

I haven't heard anyone take issue with athletes using their position of power to advance social goals. They take issue with athletes deliberately protesting in a disrespectful way designed to inflame people to attract attention, and then crying when people don't look past the disrespect and read their minds as to what they are "really" saying.

I dont' see the positive being accomplished for the country unless we are to believe that someone living in a cave was unaware of high profile lethal force vs blacks until NFL players knelt before a football game.

I actually don't think they are deliberately being divisive the way Kaepernick was, but then Kaepernick had an actual purpose and commitment and knew what he was doing. They seem legitimately bewildered that anyone is offended. That's perhaps the only positive I've seen from the situation: they're getting the picture that fans aren't crazy racists merely for believing their own eyes about the anthem protests.

IMO this has been more of a reality check for players, coaches, and owners than it has for the fans. The fans haven't learned anything they didn't already know.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was against MB's protest at first because there wasn't a plan on how to proceed. I worried that the conversation would not be about the issue at hand, but more about Michael Bennett, and Kapernick. But with Michael's arrest, it has changed everything because it gave the protest focus.

NOW, I think the need to move on from the protesting the National Anthem in respect for all the men and women, of all races, and many nationalities, that have sacrificed their lives and their health, fighting for what we do have today.

I would also like to see them support the Military publicly, I think that would help in some way to legitimize what they have done up to this point. Bring Soldiers on to the field with them to celebrate the National Anthem, standing up. This would disarm any argument saying that it's about the players, and strengthen their point.

NFL Players, some of them veterans, do a lot outside of football to help veterans, but it's not front page news, so bring them on the field where they can get their names and their branch of Service in the bright lights and cameras.

My Mom and Dad were in the Military, and I was taught to respect the Men and Women in the Service, and the Veterans. Every time I see a vehicle with the Purple Heart license plate, or the Veterans plate, it brings it back, front and center just how good we have it.

But it's not perfect, things need to change, instead of "AFRICAN AMERICAN SHOT BY POLICE!" Then next week it's back to trashing whoever it is they disagree with and nothing gets done, nothing changes.

This protest, I hope, is going to be about change. But the point has been made. Let's get back to football, and if you want to keep the message front and center, lock arms during the Anthem like you did last year. AND, get the other sports involved. Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer.

StoneCold

Reaction score
For myself it is clear what this is about. I don't need to parse out their comments, and pick them apart for their lack of clarity, or to point out they are not offering an or "The" solution. You may have an issue with how they are protesting, but it's clear to me this is mainly about the abuse of police power. It touches on many aspects of how our society views minorities, race relations and police conduct. Undoubtedly when you start to comment on the whole you will hear a variety of angles and that can muddy the picture, but for me it still comes back to how our police use force. It is the stories of unarmed people dying that spurred these protests. I read a darkly comic comment the other day that with the advent of cell phone cameras we see less evidence for Bigfoot and UFO's but more evidence of abuse by police.

If we are going to see a positive outcome from this, people in general will need to focus on how we protect the police doing a dangerous job and the people they are entrusted to protect. Their have already been a few suggestions in these threads. I hope it spreads.

Mindsink

Reaction score
ivotuk":32o6z25v said:
But it's not perfect, things need to change, instead of "AFRICAN AMERICAN SHOT BY POLICE!" Then next week it's back to trashing whoever it is they disagree with and nothing gets done, nothing changes.

The media is perpetuating the division. White on black crime is a front page story. It's what gets ratings. It's what outrages people the most because they can attach #RACISM to the story. So we get hammered with those images and ideas.

hawk45

Reaction score
StoneCold":2iybzzji said:
For myself it is clear what this is about. I don't need to parse out their comments, and pick them apart for their lack of clarity, or to point out they are not offering an or "The" solution. You may have an issue with how they are protesting, but it's clear to me this is mainly about the abuse of police power. It touches on many aspects of how our society views minorities, race relations and police conduct. Undoubtedly when you start to comment on the whole you will hear a variety of angles and that can muddy the picture, but for me it still comes back to how our police use force.

That sounds like you're saying that their method of protest isn't a core component of why their message is being stepped on. That despite the lack of them specifically staying on-message and bringing up use of force over and over, they've done their job if they just mouth platitudes about equality and justice. It's up to the rest of us to see past their method of protest and vague language.

It's not some inevitable variety of angles that is muddying the picture at all.

I can see past it, and and you can see past it, and we can agree use of force is or should be the real issue. But they are their own worst enemy with respect to that being lost.

As I said, it's night and day with Kaepernick. He specifically articulated why he was disrespecting the flag and tied it to use of force, and stuck with the use of force issue so his message wasn't so easily lost or demagogued.

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawk45":7bkpxdse said:
StoneCold":7bkpxdse said:
For myself it is clear what this is about. I don't need to parse out their comments, and pick them apart for their lack of clarity, or to point out they are not offering an or "The" solution. You may have an issue with how they are protesting, but it's clear to me this is mainly about the abuse of police power. It touches on many aspects of how our society views minorities, race relations and police conduct. Undoubtedly when you start to comment on the whole you will hear a variety of angles and that can muddy the picture, but for me it still comes back to how our police use force.

That sounds like you're saying that their method of protest isn't a core component of why their message is being stepped on. That despite the lack of them specifically staying on-message and bringing up use of force over and over, they've done their job if they just mouth platitudes about equality and justice. It's up to the rest of us to see past their method of protest and vague language.

It's not some inevitable variety of angles that is muddying the picture at all.

I can see past it, and and you can see past it, and we can agree use of force is or should be the real issue. But they are their own worst enemy with respect to that being lost.

As I said, it's night and day with Kaepernick. He specifically articulated why he was disrespecting the flag and tied it to use of force, and stuck with the use of force issue so his message wasn't so easily lost or demagogued.

Actually I would agree that they are not being clear and it is hurting the message and it's perception. But I would also say that when someone is pointing out the house is on fire, focusing on the burning house is a bigger deal than some of the shortcomings of the messenger(s).

hawk45

Reaction score
StoneCold":zmo41xeo said:
Actually I would agree that they are not being clear and it is hurting the message and it's perception. But I would also say that when someone is pointing out the house is on fire, focusing on the burning house is a bigger deal than some of the shortcomings of the messenger(s).

That's the thing though. You and I can focus on it. But how many people are not focusing on it due to their poor messaging.

I'm not saying it's okay to ignore real issues because their messaging is flawed. I'm saying their flawed messaging is critically important because there are folks out there - other than us - who legitimately distracted from it.

And if there are folks who do understand but are pretending not to, why give them an out to seize on? This is precisely what happened when the president weighed in. Those military vets protesting outside VMAC? They all had good convos with Bennett and didn't seem like the type of people to deliberately ignore the "real" message out of evil racism. Yet there they were, upset enough to protest.

We can't just wave this off as a minor, easily-overlooked flaw that isn't hugely detrimental to the cause is all I'm saying. That's putting the blame back on the fans for something that lies squarely at the feet of the players.

Proof of this is the fact that the players/teams are now backtracking. Why would they be backtracking if their flawed messaging was just some minor thing to be overlooked?