Geno Restructure?

bigcc

Reaction score
Are there any rumors of JS bringing in another QB ? No ? Then Smiths the guy . Deal with it . :)
Smith is the guy this year, but your logic to get there makes zero sense

We don't know if he wants to take a QB or not, and of course there aren't rumors in the nfl, won't be any credible ones for ANY team until FA starts

Parallax

Reaction score
Yeah it would have been soooo hard to replace his number of games started and absolutely no continuity in a brand new offense with someone much cheaper, AND that is completely ignoring the extra cap hit they created for NEXT year that you conveniently failed to mention. JS might have been the issue but I will wait and see.
I think Lock could take over with perhaps no drop off because, while Geno may be stronger in some ways, Lock is stronger in others. I'm not one who considers Geno a top 10 QB. Here are the stats from last year Softy reported last week:

Seahawks with Geno under center –
  • Yards per game – 21st
  • Offensive touchdowns per game – 24th
  • Offensive points per game – 18th
  • 3rd Down Conversions – 23rd
  • Red Zone Scoring – 25th
Geno Specific –
  • Touchdowns – 17th
  • QBR – 12th
  • Ratings – 17th
  • Yards Passing – 16th
  • Touchdown Percentage – 21st
  • Completion Percentage – 19th
  • Yards per Attempt – 13th
  • 3rd Down Conversions – 27th
Those numbers hit me as the very definition of mediocre. In fact a bit worse than average by NFL standards.

As for making more cap space, it just takes the money from next year. We got to this place by repeatedly kicking cans down the road. In my opinion, the smart move would have been to let him go, resign Lock and another veteran, and then see who might be available in the draft (without overpaying). If no one, fine. Let Grubb develop Lock.

Jville

Reaction score
Yeah it would have been soooo hard to replace his number of games started and absolutely no continuity in a brand new offense with someone much cheaper, AND that is completely ignoring the extra cap hit they created for NEXT year that you conveniently failed to mention. JS might have been the issue but I will wait and see.

I'm not a prisoner of anyone's envisioned dystopian.

I'm living in the present reality.

The year in 2024.

bigcc

Reaction score
So, are we going with one QB on the roster this season?
To start the league year, yes lol

We literally can't sign anyone until then to my knowledge.

By may the roster is for most intents filled, but you can't really glean too much of what the roster is going to look like until after the draft

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm not a prisoner of anyone's envisioned dystopian.

I'm living in the present reality.

The year in 2024.
And in 2024 geno will be a 34 year old qb learning literally an ENTIRELY new offense, underneath an ENTIRELY new team culture.

The time to move on was this year, but geno is the guy this year for better or worse.

Hopefully we draft a qb so we don't have LITERALLY the same threads next season before his even larger roster bonus same time next year

Jville

Reaction score
Geno has years of experience. He's all in.

The coaching staff is excited about the prospect of getting to work in building the offense around their quarterbacks. It remains to be seen if they can also get Drew under contract for 2024.

bigcc

Reaction score
Geno has years of experience. He's all in.

The coaching staff is excited about the prospect of getting to work in building the offense around their quarterbacks. It remains to be seen if they can also get Drew under contract for 2024.
He's started games in only one offense since his miserable time with the jets, waldrons, and guess who is gone?

Also "if they can", I literally wouldn't sign lock to vet min, let him walk and try to get enough playtime for a comp pick if another qb gets hurt.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
And in 2024 geno will be a 34 year old qb learning literally an ENTIRELY new offense, underneath an ENTIRELY new team culture.
If you put a guy who's been driving big rigs for the last 12 years into a completely different big rig, it will take some time for him to adjust, but many of the skills will directly translate. Compare that to a guy who's just getting his certification in a big rig, it will take a lot longer for that guy to reach the same level of comfort and proficiency in the new rig than the older guy in the new rig.

I'm not worried about Geno learning a new system.

bigcc

Reaction score
If you put a guy who's been driving big rigs for the last 12 years into a completely different big rig, it will take some time for him to adjust, but many of the skills will directly translate. Compare that to a guy who's just getting his certification in a big rig, it will take a lot longer for that guy to reach the same level of comfort and proficiency in the new rig than the older guy in the new rig.

I'm not worried about Geno learning a new system.
OK, but then we need to hire a brand new big rig driver the following year, when we could have had a guy with a years experience

This is a godawful analogy since I don't know a damn thing about big rigs, but back to qb, we're still at a point of taking a rookie next year.

Geno isn't a long term answer, and frankly we ****** up if he's here past this season.

For a brand new team, this was the year to move on. I'll forgive it if we draft qbotf, but if we do something stupid like run lock back at qb2, we're back to the same miserable discussions next year because like it or not, most QB's aren't playing at 35+

Jville

Reaction score
OK, but then we need to hire a brand new big rig driver the following year, when we could have had a guy with a years experience

This is a godawful analogy since I don't know a damn thing about big rigs, but back to qb, we're still at a point of taking a rookie next year.

Geno isn't a long term answer, and frankly we ****** up if he's here past this season.

For a brand new team, this was the year to move on. I'll forgive it if we draft qbotf, but if we do something stupid like run lock back at qb2, we're back to the same miserable discussions next year because like it or not, most QB's aren't playing at 35+

If that analogy went over your head, what might that say about your understanding of Seahawks decisions?

bigcc

Reaction score
If that analogy went over your head, what might that say about your understanding of Seahawks decisions?
That I understand football, which I've played, coached, and religiously watched for over 25 years, more than big rigs that I've never been in the cab of, let alone driven. I've also done things like read through the CBA, while I've never read through a big rig guide book or whatever the **** they have

So great point!

Good lord 🙄

EDIT: the CBA is readily available online, free, since I'm a nice guy

If you're interested in really reading anything, just download the pdf to make it easier

I'm sure knowing a good portion of the rules as they're written, has no impact on understanding team decisions though buddy!

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score

The time to move on was this year, but geno is the guy this year for better or worse.

Hopefully we draft a qb so we don't have LITERALLY the same threads next season before his even larger roster bonus same time next year

This is a great point that the extremely pro Geno crowd misses in my opinion. He’s 34 and learning a whole new system. The o it way that makes sense is if they draft their QB of the future and he’s learning it too as the backup. To put this off a year just doesn’t make sense. Kind of wondering if this turns out to be an Alex Smith type situation. KC got killed for it by their fans too because Smith was a borderline top 10 QB at the time. Interesting.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I bet a rookie QB learns the play book faster than Geno does.

Jville

Reaction score
It seems to me that we see examples where posters relate to players as if they were plug and play icons. Expressing little interest in the give and take involved in getting 11 men playing as a unit and adapting from one play to the next. There is so much that simulations and fantasy games don't convey about the real game on the field.

I see the value in the grit and leadership Geno has built up over the years as the result of some very hard lessons. But I also acknowledge that there are others can't see that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is a great point that the extremely pro Geno crowd misses in my opinion. He’s 34 and learning a whole new system. The o it way that makes sense is if they draft their QB of the future and he’s learning it too as the backup. To put this off a year just doesn’t make sense. Kind of wondering if this turns out to be an Alex Smith type situation. KC got killed for it by their fans too because Smith was a borderline top 10 QB at the time. Interesting.
I don't see why people think it's a disqualifying circumstance that we've got a new staff and new incoming offensive system. Anyone is going to be starting from scratch, including a rookie and even Penix as the system has to change anyway. The hashes are constricted and the league is obviously different than the CFB ranks.

A new staff coming in, especially one that presumably wants to hit the ground running and compete out of the gate, isn't obligated to blow everything up and start over. Grubb's history seems pretty synergistic overall with Geno's playstyle and we're not sitting atop the draft order, so why are people getting bent out of shape? Let the dudes retain who they want to retain. They've obviously got an idea of what they want the team to look like by the time September rolls around.

There is going to be a learning curve for any player on the roster, and there's going to be a learning curve for any player they acquire or draft. Additionally, I think some here are a bit too quick to dismiss the other learning curve present for rookies... like, the one where they have to learn how to be a professional NFL player. Anyone here making definitive statements about what time is best to move on from the incumbent quarterback, especially before the draft even rolls around, is being at least a bit obtuse.

It makes sense if they end up drafting a legitimate QBOTF candidate, and it makes sense if they end up not securing a QBOTF candidate because they didn't have one available that they actually wanted. It makes sense regardless.

bigcc

Reaction score
If we still draft a qbotf, while I would have rather him played for experience, despite very likely being worse than Geno this year, I get it.

If we just pushed the decision forward another year, like you said it doesn't particularly make any sense,unless they don't have any faith in the players available this year.

Hard for me to accept when next years class is less top heavy AND not as deep (so far, guys obviously pop up).

Worth noting that Alex was a year or two younger than geno, and that chiefs weren't rebuilding the culture/offense though.

Point is, it made significantly less sense for the chiefs and still paid off, there's no reason for the hawks to delay in a deep qb class.