Great Kam Chancellor Interview

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3raqiz4c said:
pittpnthrs":3raqiz4c said:
Sgt. Largent":3raqiz4c said:
pittpnthrs":3raqiz4c said:
Yeah, that play had real ramifications. Team never recovered from it.

What about the two 70+ yard drives the defense gave up in the 2nd half after the offense gave them a 10 pt lead to protect?

I get that Cliff went out and the LOB was banged up, but the fact that all these defensive players still have animosity and tunnel vision with the ONE play that "lost" them their 2nd SB is irritating to me.

They also have to own that loss, because the fact is they played terrible in the 2nd half giving up back to back long drives for TD's to even put the offense in that heroic situation to win the game.

Kam also might have heard why Pete threw the ball the next training camp if he wasn't holding out for two months unsuccessfully.

The fact that the defense was so beat up and the team was even in it makes it all the worse. Yeah the defense gave up a couple of drives in the second half, which is to be expected when you take into account their health. Whats also to be expected is some help from the offense. Here's how many points the offense scored in the 4th quarter for the banged up defense,,,,,,,,ZERO. Dont blame the defense at all for being bitter.

Bitter is fine, bitter is a normal emotional reaction to losing a Super Bowl in that fashion.

But it's a team game, you can pick out 20 moments of that game where the Hawks failed, many on the defensive side of the ball. For these guys to continue to fixate on ONE play and not take some responsibility is disingenuous for me.

You are correct, I watched at least 20 seconds of clock run down while we screwed around with the play call.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Oh no...

The D gave up 2 long TD drives to... Possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game, with Cliff Avril out, Jeremy Lane out, Sherm, Kam and Earl with major injuries and Marcus Burley inactive, which left only an untested big outside CB to cover the slot

dink and dunk passes are the weakness of Pete's Cover 3, Brady and Edelmen are absolute masters of the dink and dunk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
xray":3ichvolz said:
IMO...Carroll has gotten over it because he never changes . Wilson and all the Hawk players from then still are haunted by that play. If that doesn't stick in your craw ? Seriously ?
So, hmm, a second half let down by the World Famous LOB, THAT is what "Sticks In My Craw".
It comes down to a single play at the waning seconds of the game, and Wilson couldn't make up for the MISTAKES that the Defense made leading up to 'THE PLAY', seriously?
AND if it's Defense That Wins CHAMPIONSHIPS, Why didn't they win that one too?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
NJlargent":4xad2q8e said:
The one thing that aggravates me more than anything is any reference to the 10 point lead. Without that defense we never sniff the SB that year. At some point that defense was going to run out of gas and understandably so.
Tommy didn't, and neither did the Patriots 'D'
The BLAME isn't on just one PLAY, nor is it on just ONE player, it was on the "TEAM", Offense & Defense. :roll:

OP
OP
pittpnthrs

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
scutterhawk":wrh9ko90 said:
So, hmm, a second half let down by the World Famous LOB, THAT is what "Sticks In My Craw".
It comes down to a single play at the waning seconds of the game, and Wilson couldn't make up for the MISTAKES that the Defense made leading up to 'THE PLAY', seriously?
AND if it's Defense That Wins CHAMPIONSHIPS, Why didn't they win that one too?

Again, somebody acting like the defense was totally healthy. Why didnt they win that one too? Because the injury list looked like something from the battlefield in Normandy. The one game they had to rely on the offense and zero points in the 4th.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm not super upset about the loss anymore. There were certainly warriors on that defense - Sherman could barely move his arm and there were numerous other injuries. There were good reasons to throw the ball (not necessarily that specific play) in that situation. Marshawn had been stopped numerous times that year on the goal line, and it was (in theory) really obvious that it should have been a run. On the other hand, with the Super Bowl on the line, there aren't many players I'd prefer to have the ball in their hands than Beast Mode. Also on the other hand, the Patriots specifically said afterwards that they were waiting for that EXACT play. Someone had to win, and as they say, both sides are getting paid.

What I AM upset about is that the players on that team still haven't gotten over it. I've heard numerous great players say you have to have a short memory. QBs who throw a pick have to forget about it and get back out on the field. CBs who give up a long reception have to suck it up and keep playing against the guy that beat them. And great teams have to forget about last year (win or lose). I don't think Brady spent years griping about the three super bowls he lost.

These guys are paid millions and sometimes tens of millions of dollars to buy in and play their butts off. I'm still more mad that they were actively undermining the locker room while they were still being paid those millions by the Seahawks than I am about the play or the loss.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Torc":10z4rtec said:
I'm not super upset about the loss anymore. There were certainly warriors on that defense - Sherman could barely move his arm and there were numerous other injuries. There were good reasons to throw the ball (not necessarily that specific play) in that situation. Marshawn had been stopped numerous times that year on the goal line, and it was (in theory) really obvious that it should have been a run. On the other hand, with the Super Bowl on the line, there aren't many players I'd prefer to have the ball in their hands than Beast Mode. Also on the other hand, the Patriots specifically said afterwards that they were waiting for that EXACT play. Someone had to win, and as they say, both sides are getting paid.

What I AM upset about is that the players on that team still haven't gotten over it. I've heard numerous great players say you have to have a short memory. QBs who throw a pick have to forget about it and get back out on the field. CBs who give up a long reception have to suck it up and keep playing against the guy that beat them. And great teams have to forget about last year (win or lose). I don't think Brady spent years griping about the three super bowls he lost.

These guys are paid millions and sometimes tens of millions of dollars to buy in and play their butts off. I'm still more mad that they were actively undermining the locker room while they were still being paid those millions by the Seahawks than I am about the play or the loss.

Good points. They are human just like us fans so I certainly understand the frustration and anger even. After all, not only winning the Super Bowl but even getting a chance to play in it is something tens of thousands of players have never had the opportunity to do, even Hall of Famers. So yes, I get it, but years later the bitterness and lack of taking ANY accountability for the loss is what bothers me. What happened to this being a TEAM game?

There's no "I" in team but there is "ME" I guess. :Dunno: