Greg Olsen reveals that Pete handcuffed Wilson last year

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1f59nk8k said:
As far as "handcuffing" goes, what do people define as handcuffing?

It seems some people equate providing structure for a floundering quarterback (the ugly midseason stretch where 2 high defenses broke the offense) to "handcuffing." I'd argue that, while not perfectly executed, that it's simply an example of responsible coaching, as was the decision to make a change on offense so that he wouldn't have to step in and take the offense back to basics to keep the team from throwing games away.

The team rebounded and, while not flying high like in the beginning of the season, went 6-1 to end it. Let Russ Cook was good for a while, and then it really wasn't.

There's a weird dynamic thats taking place here where people don't think the head coach should be.. ya know.. coaching.

Stubbornly sticking to a very neutralized Let Russ Cook attack would be just as bad, if not worse due to turnovers, than a stubborn adherence to Peteball.(which, by the way, didn't happen as the team remained a fairly pass happy team after the "handcuffs" were slapped on.) Not only that, but it'd be just as irresponsible for the good of Russell to keep him plugging away in an attack that had obviously been figured out instead of protecting him by taking some pressure off.

You need to stop it with your common sense. It's not allowed here on .NET. Chapter 24 Section 35, paragraph 5 clearly states.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Why do yall keep saying what pete carroll did worked? it didn't, if it did we would have went past the first round. Let russ cook regardless. Honestly, i believe pete carroll has control issues, he never wanted russell wilson to have any control of the offense and the only reason he has backed off is because he was scared russell wilson was gonna leave.

which he will be if pete carroll tries to put the handcuffs on russell wilson and it results in a 1st round exit.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
It shouldn't have mattered what interceptions get thrown, pete carroll should have trusted schottenheimer to work out with wilson. You don't take the ball out of your qb's hands right in the middle of the season, you mess with his confidence that way, not to mention throw off the chemistry of the offense in general. which is exactly what happened.

all i know is everybody has already told yall that pete carroll is the reason why 2020 ended the way that it did and now greg olsen has confirmed it. if you are still arguing, it is because you are in denial. Waldron will end up indirectly exposing pete carrolls playbook for all of its problems.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BASF":f6you8gu said:
pittpnthrs":f6you8gu said:
BASF":f6you8gu said:
If we didn't pull the reins on Wilson and his hubristic interceptions we may not have even made the playoffs.

Those pulled in reins sure didnt help in the playoffs.

This isnt news, its 'Pete Ball'. Happens every year at some point. It'll happen this season too.

If it wins us six of the last seven games so we aren't eliminated in December, I am all for it.

We tried passing in the playoffs last year. The reason we lost is Iupati getting owned constantly forcing Pocic to try to help him which allowed him to get owned. You can't handcuff your offense by allowing an old slow unhealthy lineman to come back for the playoffs and expect the offense to perform better. Pete allowed it two straight seasons. Let's hope that Iupati doesn't announce that he is unretiring for Pete to decide we can use him for our playoff run.

Team was down the entire game and Wilson still only passed 27 times to 25 runs.

With Lupati and Pocic allowing that much pressure, a good coach should have rolled Wilson out to get away from it. I'll let you guess how many times a roll out was called. (Hint - ZERO),

Tinamedina

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3i74t1mx said:
Maybe the coaches saw Wilson missing the open receivers or something like that. What if they didn’t do it. Would Russ have gotten really bad and had things really fall apart.

Really who knows. But if Russ continued to throw bad throws what would we be saying now. So maybe Pete saved Russ from looking awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know whats interesting is that other qbs threw interceptions and not once did their coach put handcuffs on them, they trusted them to figure it out along with their oc. Ken norton is a bad dc, and he was bad all of 1st half of the 2020 season, and not once did pete carroll remove ken norton nor did he put handcuffs on him. he let ken norton figure it out.

yall have to face it, pete carroll does not trust russell wilson, i think he understands he needs russell wilson to win, but does not like wilson's style of play and never has. The seahawks will be better off when pete carroll retires, better hope russell wilson is still there.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
AgentDib":898lk8x6 said:
Scorpion05":898lk8x6 said:
But if you do consider him a Top 5 QB, then what Pete did is absurd. Trusting your QB is essential in this league.
I don't think it's anywhere near that simple. What matters is why the QB is turning the ball over. Good decisions can lead to turnovers if the receiver bobbles it or the defender makes a great play, and QBs get away with bad decisions all the time when the defender does not make the play. Russ's turnovers in the GB playoff game were fine because they were mostly Kearse's fault, and they kept on going that way because they felt it was a fluke.

If any QB is throwing bad INTs, Brady and Brees included, then that is cause for concern and adjustments. Most of Russ's turnovers over his career have been relatively excusable because he has been careful with the football.

Between week 6 and week 9 last season Russ had 10 turnovers and the team lost three games. Many people, including myself, argue that a key reason for these turnovers was that the opposing defenses shifted to more cover 2 in order to limit our extremely successful deep passing attack and our offense continued to try forcing big plays instead of adapting. It doesn't matter whose fault that is, the point is that there was a clear problem that the coaching staff needed to address.

Whether the coaching staff fixed things in the right way or not is obviously a matter of debate, but I find myself agreeing with Maelstrom that it is really weird that some posters here think our coaching staff should not do obvious coaching things.

Why didn't bruce arians or sean payton take the ball out of tom bradys or drew brees hands? why? this is the question everyone wants to avoid because then they would have to admit the problem is pete carroll.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Spohawks":v7534lii said:
So it went from "let Russ cook" to "Russ, just use the microwave".

Yall can make all the jokes you want, but when its 3rd and 4th quarter and pete carroll's slow and conservative play calling has once again put the team behind, yall are gonna be asking russell wilson to save the day once again. Thats how it worked for the past 9 years, pete carroll calls the wrong plays, poor time management and russell wilson saves the day, and pete carroll receives the credit.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Speaking of good-faith arguments 8) Think that's gonna go out the window here

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3kezg4ku said:
BASF":3kezg4ku said:
pittpnthrs":3kezg4ku said:
BASF":3kezg4ku said:
If we didn't pull the reins on Wilson and his hubristic interceptions we may not have even made the playoffs.

This isnt news, its 'Pete Ball'. Happens every year at some point. It'll happen this season too.

If it wins us six of the last seven games so we aren't eliminated in December, I am all for it.

We tried passing in the playoffs last year. The reason we lost is Iupati getting owned constantly forcing Pocic to try to help him which allowed him to get owned. You can't handcuff your offense by allowing an old slow unhealthy lineman to come back for the playoffs and expect the offense to perform better. Pete allowed it two straight seasons. Let's hope that Iupati doesn't announce that he is unretiring for Pete to decide we can use him for our playoff run.

With Lupati and Pocic allowing that much pressure, a good coach should have rolled Wilson out to get away from it. I'll let you guess how many times a roll out was called. (Hint - ZERO),

This is probably why the playcaller from that season and game got fired, and they hired a new one.

misfit

Reaction score
We lost to a Jared Goff w a broken hand in the playoffs so Pete's plan does not work. It's not as simple as run= good, pass =bad.

This is a different sport but I can't imagine Steve Kerr making curry stop shooting 3s after the warriors have a few bad games

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
misfit":3jtf1tvy said:
We lost to a Jared Goff w a broken hand in the playoffs so Pete's plan does not work. It's not as simple as run= good, pass =bad.

This is a different sport but I can't imagine Steve Kerr making curry stop shooting 3s after the warriors have a few bad games

It's also not as simple as pass = good, run = bad, which is the prevailing sentiment both on here and on Seahawks twitter.

misfit

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":11u3bvz6 said:
misfit":11u3bvz6 said:

It's also not as simple as pass = good, run = bad, which is the prevailing sentiment both on here and on Seahawks twitter.
I agree I think our run schemes in the past have also been very archaic and boring. Waldron showed a lot of promise week 1

pmedic920

Reaction score
Holy Catfish this is the longest running argument we’ve ever had.
Same dudes, same words over and over.

I try to keep in mind that football is a team sport and the team includes the coaches.
I think it’s a pretty rare occurrence that a win or loss can be completely placed on one team member.

As fans, we’ve seen the most successful area under Pete w/Russ as QB. I simply don’t understand the obsession with arguing about PC&RW.
Is there a reasonable explanation?

TreeRon

Reaction score
This whole episode was a trap by Marcellus Wiley. He was fully armed to once again belittle RW, which he does when ever the chance. If you watch the entire episode you'll sense the scorn and vitriol.

Jville

Reaction score
pmedic920":yaoaz42l said:
Holy Catfish this is the longest running argument we’ve ever had.
Same dudes, same words over and over.

I try to keep in mind that football is a team sport and the team includes the coaches.
I think it’s a pretty rare occurrence that a win or loss can be completely placed on one team member.

As fans, we’ve seen the most successful area under Pete w/Russ as QB. I simply don’t understand the obsession with arguing about PC&RW.
Is there a reasonable explanation?

It's a collection of empty heads with too much idle time on their hands making noise. The repetitive noise is reminiscent of a scratched and worn out vinyl record.

BASF

Reaction score
Tinamedina":2aic0dhx said:
Why do yall keep saying what pete carroll did worked?

It is simple. We lost while playing good defenses in the middle of the season because Wilson threw several interceptions where he forced the throws instead of going to open receivers. It is why I say his hubristic interceptions. Several of them smacked of him saying to himself, I can make this throw because I am Russell Wilson. When Pete pulled the reins, we were still facing good defenses and went 6-1. That one loss was the Russell Wilson show again and we failed.

it didn't, if it did we would have went past the first round.

This is far too simplistic. We had the throw first, Let Russ Cook game plan for the playoff game. If you don't believe me, go back and watch the game again. We only ran the football six times in the first two quarters until the pick six. We lost that game because of Pete Carroll's stupid stubborn belief that he could put Iupati in the lineup for the playoffs without screwing up the continuity of the line. He was washed up and Carroll still rolled with him. Their front seven ate our lunch because of it.

I understand that most people only want to focus on the QB, but football is won in the trenches.

Why didn't bruce arians or sean payton take the ball out of tom bradys or drew brees hands? why? this is the question everyone wants to avoid because then they would have to admit the problem is pete carroll.

It is funny that you bring this up because the truth is that no fan base would actually know if their coaches tried to rein in the throwing except for Tampa and N.O. fans. The truth is that none of the people outside of those markets watch enough of their games to make such a definitive statement. Also, the truth is that neither of them have the arm Wilson does and try to force throws as he did during the stretch last year that we finally faced some decent defenses and Wilson got exposed.

BASF

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":7auqkmy3 said:
pittpnthrs":7auqkmy3 said:
BASF":7auqkmy3 said:
pittpnthrs":7auqkmy3 said:

This is probably why the playcaller from that season and game got fired, and they hired a new one.[/quote]

We had to start running more because our line was being dominated at the line of scrimmage on pass plays. I don't think there is any poster here that will disagree that we needed to roll Wilson out more to relieve the pressure. I agree with Maelstrom, it is probably the reason Schotty was let go. His schemes were not up to date and carried almost no variations, which in todays NFL means you will only last so long.

chris98251

Reaction score
BASF":1xkwqpu0 said:
Maelstrom787":1xkwqpu0 said:
pittpnthrs":1xkwqpu0 said:
BASF":1xkwqpu0 said:

This is probably why the playcaller from that season and game got fired, and they hired a new one.

We had to start running more because our line was being dominated at the line of scrimmage on pass plays. I don't think there is any poster here that will disagree that we needed to roll Wilson out more to relieve the pressure. I agree with Maelstrom, it is probably the reason Schotty was let go. His schemes were not up to date and carried almost no variations, which in todays NFL means you will only last so long.[/quote]

He quit, the reason is Pete was meddling, there is also the fact he could not figure out how to beat cover two which is why Pete was meddling. It was philosophical differences why he left, so really Pete wanted things done his way and Schotty was basically a puppet going forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not so much the fact that Pete put the handcuffs on Russ after the terrible six turnovers in four game stretch, it's the fact that Pete, Russell and Schotty had no answers for teams figuring out how to defend what they were doing.

Once we started playing good defenses that just took away the deep passing routes with two high safeties? We had no answer.

THAT my friends is the moral of the story here, not the fact that Pete put the handcuffs on Russ. That's football, the good teams, coaches and coordinators know how to adjust game to game, and series to series.

The fact that we had no answer is the inexcusable sequence for an obviously very talented offense that should have been able to figure out how to adjust.

Latest posts