Gurley

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":29xffyvz said:
getnasty":29xffyvz said:
Maulbert":29xffyvz said:
getnasty":29xffyvz said:
Seems like there's more to Gurley's downfall that were not hearing about. If the Rams ate all the guaranteed money i might throw them a 4th.

He has an arthritic knee! What more is there to tell?

I don't doubt the knee thing but his usage doesn't make sense to me. It could just be a combo of Mcvey out thinking himself and the knee injury though.

An arthritic knee is not an injury. It's a degenerative condition that will NEVER heal. They were barely using him because every time they do, it will get worse. He's a time bomb.

Ya....his usage was down because they wanted him healthy late in the year for possible run.

That knee is done. Its only a matter of time...and it won't be long.

Feel bad for the guy. Only way I go after Gurley is if its for very little $$$ and no draft compensation...IE, very little to no risk.

RBs are disposable these days. Niners have three. How much you wanna bet three years from now they have three new guys back there performing similarly to these guys.

Rams were way too reliant on a guy without a long career ahead of him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Gurley had multiple knee injuries at Georgia.

And then his age...

Why did they give him so much money? Did the think he was Marshawn? :204070:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2kg48xor said:
Maulbert":2kg48xor said:
getnasty":2kg48xor said:
Maulbert":2kg48xor said:
He has an arthritic knee! What more is there to tell?

I don't doubt the knee thing but his usage doesn't make sense to me. It could just be a combo of Mcvey out thinking himself and the knee injury though.

An arthritic knee is not an injury. It's a degenerative condition that will NEVER heal. They were barely using him because every time they do, it will get worse. He's a time bomb.

Ya....his usage was down because they wanted him healthy late in the year for possible run.

Feel bad for the guy. Only way I go after Gurley is if its for very little $$$ and no draft compensation...IE, very little to no risk.

RBs are disposable these days. Niners have three. How much you wanna bet three years from now they have three new guys back there performing similarly to these guys.

It was so frustrating when we handed him that contract.

Because 8 games into the McVay era, you could see:

Kupp would cost $10+ million

John Johnson would cost $10+ million

Goff would get "franchise QB" money

Donald would get a record contract

That's just four guys. Over the course of the next two/three years, we've extended Havenstein, Higbee, and acquired/extended Cooks, with Ramsey soon to follow.

All of those in a vacuum are fine - and after 8 games I said "do NOT re-sign Todd Gurley". It was the easiest decision to make and we messed it up.

As a result, this season we may lose either Littleton or Fowler, and if the Rams could snap their fingers and give Gurley's contract to either of them, they'd do it without thinking twice. So frustrating to see something clearly two years ago and have it be flubbed.

knownone

Reaction score
Gurley would be an interesting player to sign if the Rams cut him. He’s probably only worth $3m/year, and he provides a decent option in the passing game.

hburn21

Reaction score
Ramfan128":ba8l8vus said:
Marvin49":ba8l8vus said:
Maulbert":ba8l8vus said:
getnasty":ba8l8vus said:

That's just four guys. Over the course of the next two/three years, we've extended Havenstein, Higbee, and acquired/extended Cooks, with Ramsey soon to follow.

All of those in a vacuum are fine - and after 8 games I said "do NOT re-sign Todd Gurley". It was the easiest decision to make and we messed it up.

As a result, this season we may lose either Littleton or Fowler, and if the Rams could snap their fingers and give Gurley's contract to either of them, they'd do it without thinking twice. So frustrating to see something clearly two years ago and have it be flubbed.
I’m not to keen on the cap so I’m wondering if you guys can even afford to tag Fowler at this point, would his cap hold be around 17-19 mil until he’s traded or extended?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
knownone":1jfld4kn said:
Gurley would be an interesting player to sign if the Rams cut him. He’s probably only worth $3m/year, and he provides a decent option in the passing game.

He's a $17.25 million cap hit next season, with $12.6 million dead cap. I doubt they're just going to cut him and eat it. They better hope they can find a Cleveland or Washington type franchise that sucks enough to trade for him.

The Rams got into cap hell so fast it's surprising.

Maulbert

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1jsxcis8 said:
knownone":1jsxcis8 said:

He's a $17.25 million cap hit next season, with $12.6 million dead cap. I doubt they're just going to cut him and eat it. They better hope they can find a Cleveland or Washington type franchise that sucks enough to trade for him.

The Rams got into cap hell so fast it's surprising.

Well, Gurley's contract was terrible even if he didn't have a bad knee. No running back is worth that money.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hburn21":345uy4do said:
Ramfan128":345uy4do said:
Marvin49":345uy4do said:
Maulbert":345uy4do said:

I’m not to keen on the cap so I’m wondering if you guys can even afford to tag Fowler at this point, would his cap hold be around 17-19 mil until he’s traded or extended?

Yes. Once the cap increases and if we cut some dead weight, we'll have $25 million in cap space.

If we restructure Goff and push some of his bonus into the next few years, we'll have about $40 million.

But the problem with franchising any player is that he's probably not going to settle for less than that amount going forward - and as much as I like Fowler, he's not worth $17 mil per year.