Has the team improved

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":b7aymxgx said:
IF there is a regular season, it feels that 49ers, Bucs, and Saints probably are in the top 3 NFC teams.

(Thank god the 49ers did not get Brady, because that likely meant getting Gronk - and Gronk & Kittles together would have been a nightmare for us.)

Next tier you have a jumble of teams like the Cowboys, Packers, & Vikings. Eagles and Rams are probably on a slightly lower tier, along with potentially the Cardinals (if they get better).

Where do we fall in this?

It feels we should have a better regular season, as we filled holes. But last year we played a large collection of teams without their starting QB. This means we could potentially be better but have the same or slightly worse regular-season record.

We certainly don't look to have added anything key for the playoffs, maybe Dunbar (but I don't see him as a field-tilting player).

Did we even close the distance with the 49ers? It feels like losing Clowney means we are less competitive against them, not more. I would put us in the 2nd tier with the Cowboys, Vikings, and Packers.
Top 5/6 NFC teams:

Niners
Saints
Seahawks
Bucs/Vikings
Packers

Seattle is better than Bucs/Vikings, and are on par with Green Bay, but still behind the Niners and Saints in overall talent/in game coaching schemes

Seattle absolutely needs to improve on defense to win and need to be less inconsistent on scoring early (not Wilson's fault) on offense

olyfan63

Reaction score
sutz":3swoselp said:
Well, if all you care about is "all star" level talent, then you probably don't think so.

I think they have added mid-level talent and depth in several areas and in that way, yes, IMO the team is better. Many of our problems the last two years have been due to injuries and not having quality guys to step up when needed. In several areas, primarily in the secondary and D-line, I think the veteran help we've added plus the additional year of experience for the 1-2 year players will help a ton.

Totally on-board with this line of thinking. We will HAVE a pass-rush this year, whether by rotation comittee, or picking up a "name" pass-rusher at a too-high price. We have better depth at a rnage of

Our O-Line will surprise people and move the football on the ground. The Cable guys are all pretty much gone. Now we have Solari guys. Lewis will be a beast. Jordan Simmons will be a bulldozer if we can keep him healthy.

I have a hunch we'll see an interesting dynamic, especially for 3rd downs, where Russell will have a couple security blanket options, blitzes picked up, and improved screen game, between Greg Olsen and DJ Dallas. I have this hunch that those 3 will spark a 3rd-down chemistry that will keep a lot of drives alive that fizzled in prior years. Especially with DK in the mix, even better this year. Not sure if we'll see Lockett in the slot or if someone else will break out there to have Lockett outside.

We'll have a good offense, even a VERY GOOD offense, very smash-mouth-but-balanced. So the questions that need to be answered, IMO, are on defense. Will Pete Carroll put out another sucky defense, like the last couple years, has the game passed him by? I think the answer is NO, that we will see much more of a Pete Carroll defense this year, but right now we are missing some parts and some depth. Dunbar... shaking my head... will he even play? Our DT rotation... will it be stout enough up front? Brooks will be a star at LB, after a short adjustment period.

It will look like things are held together by chewing gum and baling twine at times, with some fugly wins the first 2/3 of the season. Come December, we will be a true NFC power, with some of our impact guys getting fully healthy.