Hawks drafted Witherspoon before Lion could.

toffee

Reaction score
Every reason to believe Lion was celebrating their drafting of Witherspoon believing Hawks would take someone to address our front seven. John took Witherspoon out of their jaws.

As for one of the Cardinals’ trade partners, the key to the Lions’ draft was adjusting on the fly. Sitting with the sixth pick didn’t work out for them. Detroit GM Brad Holmes figured if Arizona picked Johnson at No. 3, then one of the two completely clean defenders he saw in the class, Anderson or Illinois Devon Witherspoon, would slip to him. Then, the Cardinals traded out, the Texans took Anderson, and everything got thrown in a blender.

Holmes and Dan Campbell were facing a scenario where the Colts would take a quarterback and Witherspoon, who they’d targeted for months, would land in Seattle. And while the Lions figured the Seahawks might not pull the trigger—GM John Schneider had taken only one corner in the top 100 in 13 drafts in Seattle, and that one was the 90th pick (Shaquill Griffin in 2015)—Detroit still had to prepare for the possibility.

We didn’t think we’d do this at six, Holmes said to Campbell, but who cares? He’s our favorite guy left.

That guy was Alabama RB Jahmyr Gibbs.

My sense is Detroit felt the same way about him as they did Witherspoon—who they targeted months ago, and who they tried to hide their intentions on (they didn’t have Gibbs in for a 30 visit, and Holmes and Campbell stayed away from his pro day). And who, ultimately, they hoped to pair with Witherspoon.

The initial idea was to get Witherspoon (or Anderson) at No. 6, then trade up from 18 to get Gibbs. Then Arizona traded out, the Colts took Anthony Richardson and, finally, to the Lions’ chagrin, the Seahawks took the draft’s top corner, a scenario under which, indeed, Detroit was ready to say who cares? and break the internet by taking Gibbs.

kidhawk

Reaction score
When the Lions traded back after we took Witherspoon the Hosts on tv said that the Lions traded back because we took Witherspoon who was their target. The Texans trading into the 3rd spot and taking back to back I think threw a lot of teams thought processes for a loop.

sutz

Reaction score
When the Lions traded back after we took Witherspoon the Hosts on tv said that the Lions traded back because we took Witherspoon who was their target. The Texans trading into the 3rd spot and taking back to back I think threw a lot of teams thought processes for a loop.
I'm just glad it didn't seem to get to our guys much. Cool as a cucumber while raking the board for quality picks everywhere.

Mick063

Reaction score
For retaining the moniker of "top Cornerback", the "run of the mill" TV pundits (the ones that gossip amongst each other) kept saying Gonzalez and the "insider" TV pundits (the ones that quote league sources) kept saying Witherspoon. Both pundit groups, however, were saying that Carter would not last past Seattle or Detroit. It seems that Witherspoon was that guy instead.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Every reason to believe Lion was celebrating their drafting of Witherspoon believing Hawks would take someone to address our front seven. John took Witherspoon out of their jaws.

Arizona pick Johnson? Paris Johnson?

They must be really high on Johnson for an OT to go that high that wasn’t believed to be a top 3 pick.

Detroit somewhat shot themselves in the foot. I thought their draft was mediocre. Gibbs is nice but to trade down and draft him where they did wasn’t a great move, IMO. They could have gotten him later down but I guess they didn’t get any offers for a pick further down round 1 and they didn’t want to risk it.

Since, they ultimately traded Swift, it shows they are banking on Gibbs and was willing to pick him high.

But I’m also sure Seattle surprised a lot of teams by taking Spoon.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Arizona pick Johnson? Paris Johnson?

They must be really high on Johnson for an OT to go that high that wasn’t believed to be a top 3 pick.

Detroit somewhat shot themselves in the foot. I thought their draft was mediocre. Gibbs is nice but to trade down and draft him where they did wasn’t a great move, IMO. They could have gotten him later down but I guess they didn’t get any offers for a pick further down round 1 and they didn’t want to risk it.

Since, they ultimately traded Swift, it shows they are banking on Gibbs and was willing to pick him high.

But I’m also sure Seattle surprised a lot of teams by taking Spoon.
Yea...I never saw any prediction of PJ going that high. I think they expected Anderson to be gone and for us to take Carter, QB or one of the top remaining Edge (Wilson probably). I bet the stress in their war room was high and everyone started to hit the phones when spoon was called.