Hip drop tackle expected to be restricted/outlawed in NFL

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why do they "have" to do it?

How did the league survive all this time without banning it?

Flag football is definitely coming for this sport. It will literally be close to flag football within the next 20 years, unless somebody else takes control of this league and says enough.

Last edited:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Why do they "have" to do it?

How did the league survive all this time without banning it?

Flag football is definitely coming for this sport. It will literally be close to flag football within the next 20 years, unless somebody else takes control of this league and says enough.
2030 itll happen

sutz

Reaction score
So what then? Outlaw all tackling from behind? Have to keep two safeties on the goal line at all times, I guess.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Flag is coming. It gets ladies into the sport as well, which opens a lot of possibilities to make money.

KinesProf

Reaction score
It's tough, but there really isn't in answer to be found. There isn't a safe way to tackle someone from behind.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
This entire topic exemplifies the fact that the nfl is a business and its number one goal is money. Product can be shitty as long as people still pay for it.

I stopped watching the nba about 30 years ago for similar reasons. The authenticity of competition is gone - the eye of the tiger has been plucked and shoved up a raccoons ass.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Thousands of non hip drop tackles every season so it is possible to tackle from behind without doing it.

It is 100% a conscious decision to leave your feet after grabbing the ball carrier. It is without doubt an extremely dangerous way to tackle just as drilling a ball carrier in the head is. Trying to eliminate it from the game in no way means it will be “flag” football.

Proper tackling technique should be considered a good thing for the game.

Maybe Thomas Rawls career isn’t cut short if this kind of tackle was eliminated sooner.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Here's the deal, they get paid millions and millions of dollars with the understanding that the game has risks and they are under continual scrutiny of the public. Now they're trying to remove all "dangerous" plays, and the players cry about scrutiny from fans and media. Cant have it both ways. Don't take the money of you can't handle the chance of injury and being called out when you suck.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Here's the deal, they get paid millions and millions of dollars with the understanding that the game has risks and they are under continual scrutiny of the public. Now they're trying to remove all "dangerous" plays, and the players cry about scrutiny from fans and media. Cant have it both ways. Don't take the money of you can't handle the chance of injury and being called out when you suck.
Ok then, might as well allow face masking, and chop blocks and helmet to helmet maybe even suplex tackles. I mean if they want the money right, no need to take any measure what so ever to help player safety.

Maybe race car divers should forget the helmets and fire suits, they know the risks…lulz

Seahawker

Reaction score
The NBA & MLB are dead to me and Goodells quest to turn the NFL into his version of the WWE will soon make it unwatchable for many of us. Rule changes, poor officiating, steering, over paid players, flag kneeling, European expansion, gambling, favoritism and so much more is ruining the game.
It's becoming more & more of a bad experience than a good way to be entertained since it's authenticity started being compromised.
My family, hunting, fishing and the outdoors are more important to me than a fancy Roller Derby league played by millionaire twenty somethings and run by greedy old men.
Don't know how much longer I can hang, at least we got one before it went to Hell. Some how seeing the old school uniforms jogged my memory of how great it was to watch the Seahawks in the 80's but how much it sucks now.

Last edited:

Wheetie

Reaction score
Ok then, might as well allow face masking, and chop blocks and helmet to helmet maybe even suplex tackles. I mean if they want the money right, no need to take any measure what so ever to help player safety.

Maybe race car divers should forget the helmets and fire suits, they know the risks…lulz
Where's the line drawn? Tackling over a certain velocity coming next?

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Where's the line drawn? Tackling over a certain velocity coming next?
Did it ruin the game for you when they eliminated the chop block, horse collar or Crackback hits? How about the suplex tackle?

The injuries from the hip drop are unnecessary and can be avoided with better technique. The tackle can still be made.

Unless you watch for the injuries evolving the safety of the sport is a good thing even if it is only minimal.

Go back and watch the Rawls injury, absolutely intentional in my opinion and he was never the same.

bileever

Reaction score
I really don't understand the complaining from people about banning this.

Will anybody miss the hip drop tackle if it is banned? I don't think so. The play, by design, ends with the tackler falling with his weight and the weight of the ball carrier on the tackled player's lower leg. So many players have been injured by it. Look at how many top players have recently been injured by it--Patrick Mahomes, Tony Pollard, Mark Andrews, Rhamondre Stevenson, Tyreek Hill, just to name a few--and the risk of catastrophic, season-ending injuries is high. To me, losing great players to injury is much worse than losing the hip drop tackle.

Is it a case of players just trying to bring a player down by any means necessary? Or is it a deliberate attempt to injure someone? It's hard to say, although among players, there is a feeling that some of the tackles were done to maim someone, as in the case of Mark Andrews of the Ravens, according to Marlon Humphreys.

Rugby leagues in Australia and New Zealand have already banned the tackle. It should have been banned by the NFL earlier.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Did it ruin the game for you when they eliminated the chop block, horse collar or Crackback hits? How about the suplex tackle?

The injuries from the hip drop are unnecessary and can be avoided with better technique. The tackle can still be made.

Unless you watch for the injuries evolving the safety of the sport is a good thing even if it is only minimal.

Go back and watch the Rawls injury, absolutely intentional in my opinion and he was never the same.
Meh, football is supposed to be a violent sport, now it's getting way too watered down. Part of the excitement is the physicality of the game, which is slowly being eroded. As I said before, these guys are paid huge money which comes with risking injury to earn it. Guess I'm just old school. Maybe you're right but I'm arguing from a place of not wanting the game to become unrecognizable due to overprotecting the players. Many have stated that the LOB style of play would never make it in this day and age, didn't we all find great joy watching them? Now those watching experiences are gone forever, so ya, I guess the game has been wrecked a bit for me by all the changes.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I wish .. I would’ve gotten paid millions to .. not play a game when I signed my contract and extensions with the military. Funny how lopsided that is.. dude play a game and “risk their lives” and get paid millions. Meanwhile other people “risk their lives” doing some real shit so others can get rich or stay rich and free.

Such is life I guess. I must’ve missed the class in high school that.. it’s better to do something putting your life on the line entertaining people and Vegas than putting you life on the line via the military.

Sure would love to be in these “battles and trenches” these dudes love to act all tough about lol.

Meh Vegas has a product/asset to protect now as well as Gooddell protecting the shield. “Shrug” OH WELL lol

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I wish .. I would’ve gotten paid millions to .. not play a game when I signed my contract and extensions with the military. Funny how lopsided that is.. dude play a game and “risk their lives” and get paid millions. Meanwhile other people “risk their lives” doing some real shit so others can get rich or stay rich and free.

Such is life I guess. I must’ve missed the class in high school that.. it’s better to do something putting your life on the line entertaining people and Vegas than putting you life on the line via the military.

Sure would love to be in these “battles and trenches” these dudes love to act all tough about lol.

Meh Vegas has a product/asset to protect now as well as Gooddell protecting the shield. “Shrug” OH WELL lol
Or maybe a class in high school to teach how to be a CEO and make millions and not even have to entertain people.

If you have any 1%er skill you can most definitely get rich. Not sure how you try and equate an athlete bargaining for his contract in a billion dollar industry to a teenager signing up for the military. Not to mention there has been people that have done both.

Latest posts