Honestly - could this offseason really BE any better?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It started with BWagz and it just keeps getting better.

If you would have told me that we would get sort out Geno, get Bobby back, be going back to a 4-3 defense WITH Bobby back -

AND have the top ranked Corner and WR in the draft, AND have the Center of the year from last year in our draft picks.

And that doesn't count our FA signings, or the dribs and drabs of what's left here.

Well, I would have thought you were crazy. I thought the Bill and Ted's Excellent Quarterback Hunt trip was going to be the downfall of this offseason.

We're rocking. Obviously have to do a little more research on the newbies - but everything after NO QB for us is gold.

I STILL think there's a big FA signing left to do - just a nagging thing in the back of my head post-draft.

Looks like we're contenders this year folks. Seems like to me! Thanks to TEAM3 for the picks!!!! - and buckle up!!!!

renofox

Reaction score
I don't think we're SB contenders, but we at least have a solid chance to win 1 or 2 playoff games.

2 years in a row now PCJS have made solid moves. The team has improved dramatically both years without raiding future cap or draft assets.

One more off-season like this and we'll definitely be in the SB hunt in 2024.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I love the draft picks and the whole off season, I really do.

However, I'm still concerned about the Seahawks interior lines on both sides. The 49ers still seem head and shoulders above us in that department.

Other than that, this looks like a solid 10-12 win team on paper, depending on health. Obviously, we need to make sure our young guys take a step forward, and Geno continues to perform well.

renofox

Reaction score

However, I'm still concerned about the Seahawks interior lines on both sides. The 49ers still seem head and shoulders above us in that department.

Other than that, this looks like a solid 10-12 win team on paper, depending on health. Obviously, we need to make sure our young guys take a step forward, and Geno continues to perform well.
I'm comfortable with the IOL moves they've made, but I agree the IDL "improvement" leaves alot to be desired.

Hopefully, Young and Morris will quickly live up to, or surpass, their perceived ceiling. Maybe Jones, Reed, Adams, and Mone will kick it up a notch. Possibly a revamp of scheme will help?

There is a chance the IDL will be a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, it's about an equal chance they'll disappoint yet again.

rjdriver

Reaction score

I love the draft picks and the moves we have made as well.

As far as a 10-12 win season goes, I sure hope so but am dubious.

I just think our schedule is incredibly daunting. Away games in Dallas, Baltimore, NYG, Cincy, Detroit, and Tennessee. Plus Philly at home. Yikes.

If our off season can put even average pressure on opposing QB's and Geno follows through with a decent second year, then the sky's the limit for sure.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I’ve like their approach of taking high character guys not just nice, coachable upstanding men (see Tim Ruskell) but leaders, alphas and pure hardened football players.

There is a lot to be said about the draft process but best chances of getting picks that stick and getting value is draft players whose hearts are not only all in but play and prepare themselves like their spirit is possessed by the game.

Athletic and Prototypical blueprints can only get you so far. If they can’t take care of their chickens and get them in a row off the field, then their mentals are going to be all over the place, if they can’t hold down their mentals, then their bodies won’t follow. Just human nature.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I'm comfortable with the IOL moves they've made, but I agree the IDL "improvement" leaves alot to be desired.

Hopefully, Young and Morris will quickly live up to, or surpass, their perceived ceiling. Maybe Jones, Reed, Adams, and Mone will kick it up a notch. Possibly a revamp of scheme will help?

There is a chance the IDL will be a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, it's about an equal chance they'll disappoint yet again.
With those two rookies and the additions in free agency of Jones and Reed, the IDL is already better than it was last year. Not sure what some of you are looking at. Or not looking at.
This team is better than it was 12 months ago. It’s better than it was at the start of the 22 season. It’s certainly better than it was at the end of the 22 season.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I am feeling pretty damn good at what they have accomplished. Maybe we didn't get that huge upside potential game-wrecker DL but considering the opportunities and the way things played out, feels like we added quite a lot in one off-season. I even for once am digging the later round picks, feels like there could be something there.

Scout

Reaction score
Jones, Reed, Wagz, Witherspoon, Adams (coming back from injury), and Young are brought in to stop the run and to create TFL opportunities.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think on paper this team is really close to contention. OL might be best since 05, WR are best since 12, secondary is up there with 13 and 84, and DL looks to be better than last year.

If Geno is up to the task, a deep run is definitely a possibility.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I am feeling pretty damn good at what they have accomplished. Maybe we didn't get that huge upside potential game-wrecker DL but considering the opportunities and the way things played out, feels like we added quite a lot in one off-season. I even for once am digging the later round picks, feels like there could be something there.
AND I like how the oxygen hasn't been sucked of the room by the QB 'issue' - which really isn't an issue.

I like good solid character dudes - and that looks like what we've got -

And balance - not all eggs in one basket here.....

Loving it. JS/PC are redeemed for the goddamned wasted QB search month!!!!!!

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Me seeing our current draft class...
Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

Smellyman

Reaction score
With those two rookies and the additions in free agency of Jones and Reed, the IDL is already better than it was last year. Not sure what some of you are looking at. Or not looking at.
This team is better than it was 12 months ago. It’s better than it was at the start of the 22 season. It’s certainly better than it was at the end of the 22 season.
Jones and Reed plus Wagner and Bush with no Barton. Run D is a lot better

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I love the draft picks and the moves we have made as well.

As far as a 10-12 win season goes, I sure hope so but am dubious.

I just think our schedule is incredibly daunting. Away games in Dallas, Baltimore, NYG, Cincy, Detroit, and Tennessee. Plus Philly at home. Yikes.

If our off season can put even average pressure on opposing QB's and Geno follows through with a decent second year, then the sky's the limit for sure.
I totally agree. If this team wins 10 games with that schedule I'll like our chances going into the play-offs. Even if we have to use the back door to get in. We'll be battle tested, experienced (by fire!) and if relatively healthy, not many teams will look forward to playing these 2023 Seattle Seahawks.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jones and Reed plus Wagner and Bush with no Barton. Run D is a lot better
^ THIS. People forget the addition-by-subtraction of Cody "Pancake" Barton. Barton was OK vs. pass, but a huge liability vs. run. Also, Bobby's return, he'll have players lined up in right place. Excited to see this Devin Bush guy, and see if he can blossom here. Also, guys like Mafe and Taylor are a year stronger and wiser. Maybe one of them can tackle Deebo on those wide plays? Bonus if we get one more decent DT or NT, e.g. by trade or FA signing/re-signing. Teams like Carolina and SF won't be able to bully us in the run game like last year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seattle did a lot of things right, I still feel like we didn't do enough to address the front 7 though. The draft was great but I still hope they'll bring someone like Woods back. I feel like our front 7 will either be decent or still be problematic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I absolutely expect this team to be better. Contender? Not yet, but I can easily see them winning 11 games and finally advancing past the 1st round. And NO, I'm not "satisfied" with that. Just my own opinion. Hopefully I'll be wrong and they are ahead of schedule.

Scout

Reaction score
The Hawks like looking for bargain free agents post draft so that is where I feel they will fill gaps in the front seven IMO. Also, I looked into Bush's play a little bit from last year and there was stretch where he was more physical going downhill into a gap and stacking and shedding to make a play on the ball. So, if Bush is replacing Barton then he might be an improvement in run defense but probably downgrade in pass defense. But at this point the Hawks have enough players on D that can cover the pass. But stopping the run should be priority #1 to lead to pressures, sacks, and coverage sacks on third and longs.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Would be great if we have an udfa or two that flashes, like we had with Baldwin. Bennett was an udfa also. Since we didn't get a qb, I hope Spoon at 5 turns out to be as impactful as Earl was at 10.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I still feel with Geno and the interior line deficiency its still a 9 to 10 win team and an early bounce in the post season if they make the post season. I hope i'm wrong. What looks good on paper doesnt always translate to real world results. Nobody really knows as of yet.