How will the Nick Bosa contract impact the 49ers?

bileever

Reaction score
It's widely expected that Bosa's contract will be somewhere in the range of $165 million over 5 years. Most likely, they are arguing about guaranteed money at this point. TJ Watt had $80 million guaranteed on his 4-year deal, so there's a starting point.

The reason the 49ers' window is closing is that they are already under water as far as cap space is concerned for 2024, even before taking Bosa's contract into consideration, so they will have to become bargain shoppers if they need to fill any holes for the next few years. Lucky for them, they not only have a QB on a rookie deal, it's an extremely cheap one since Purdy was a 7th round pick. But if he's any good, they'll have to extend him early since there's no 5th year option for 7th round picks.

Bosa is a great player, but will it be a good investment to put so much money into one player? Although Bosa is young and healthy (apart from the ACL injury a couple of years ago), we've seen young players at that position get injured. JJ Watt didn't miss a game until his 6th season, then he basically had two years where he didn't play, 2016 and 2017.

I'd be interested to see what 49ers fans here (@Weadoption @49fansinceBrodie @94Smith @Marvin49 ) think about the Bosa deal. I mean you absolutely have to sign the guy--he can be a game wrecker all by himself, but that's a lot of money.

Last edited:

Mix

Reaction score
You're a better team with him then without him. Even if they were paying a QB market value, they still resign him. You can build around an elite core of players and find success.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Bosa is highly productive. His contract is worth whatever they pay him. It’s contracts like Trey Lance (same cap hit as Geno) that’ll end up doing the 69ers in

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yes...they are better with him than without even with the contract.

Additionally it likely saves them money THIS year. Cap is going to blow up is coming years.

Next year will be tight for the 49ers so that should be interesting, but Bosa changes the look of that entire defense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Bosa is highly productive. His contract is worth whatever they pay him. It’s contracts like Trey Lance (same cap hit as Geno) that’ll end up doing the 69ers in

.....Bro.

LOL.

...an entire QB room with a cap hit of 10-11 mil is gonna do them in? Please.

Enough with the hyperbole.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
I think this is the paradox of the NFL salary cap. Once you accumulate enough good players, it gets too expensive to sustain. Then you have to get rid of that player that's making only $7 million, but it turns out he was an important piece of the puzzle.

And yes, if the cap is raised, the 49ers might get some relief.

94Smith

Reaction score
You have to pay him. Likely next year a player with a marquee contract such as armstead will be moved

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Trade him, SF has holes and it'll be harder to fill them with a massive contract (assuming it's top dollar). Especially if they believe they're making a deep run. Gotta get in on some of that early round draft talent. I suppose you could kick the cap hit down the road and trade him in a few years too. I'm all about those picks.

Business is business, I'm about team longevity and remaining competitive across the board. Easier to do that with three or more dudes than one. I would never give any player a King's ransom though (Mahomes the only exception, and I'm trading him at 30yo).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
.....Bro.

LOL.

...an entire QB room with a cap hit of 10-11 mil is gonna do them in? Please.

Enough with the hyperbole.
He said "contracts like Trey Lance". I know reading comprehension isn't the strong suit of any 49ers fan, Marvin, but a SERIES of contracts to unproductive players has doomed many teams in the past. Stop playing it off like he said a single $10m hit on one player is going to implode the team. Read what's typed, and read for context. I can assign you some training videos on those topics if you'd like, just PM me.

Mix

Reaction score
Bosa contract effects the Niners the same way it would effect almost all 31 other teams that would try to sign him if he became a free agent.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time I heard the argument of, "the cap will go up next year anyway" when justifying a big money contract, I'd be rich. Teams who go by that philosophy always seem to end up in cap hell. LA Rams. NOLA. and soon, SF.

The fact is, the bills are going to need to be paid at some point.

Teams who invest in their scouting department, and build and maintain their roster through the draft are the most successful, long term.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Just keep posting LRO cuz your avatar sucks or ,, wait
Anyway it's all about the children or sumthin , ah crap I can't focus for some strange reason lol
Where's brady playin this year ???
Oh and uh neeners baddd
We very well know how tough it is to maintain a team when all of a sudden the good ones become great ones and god forbid one stupidly bad thing happens and the deck of cards all falls down
Gonna have to change my avi

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The cap is a joke to a point but if you keep pushing the can down
road it will bite.
I think if this was next year SC would be fine cap wise to do Bosa
but he's wanting it done earlier than their plan.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The cap is a joke to a point but if you keep pushing the can down
road it will bite.

It was only between a year and a half ago and the start of last season, after the Rams won the Super Bowl but before they sucked in 2022, that people on YouTube (and some of their parrots around here) were saying that a team like the Rams could be a contender forever and that the salary cap can "always" be circumvented. Now the Rams have a team that would surprise me if it were to win more than seven games in the 2023 season, and that's after already having gone 5-12 in the 2022 season.
Oh, and the Rams have $74,870,136 in dead money on this year's cap. A third of the Rams' cap space is being used for players that are no longer on the team. And the real cap hits for Stafford haven't hit yet.

Of the Rams' top ten single-player cap hits this season, four of the players aren't on the team at all. Heck, three of the Rams' top five cap hits this season are for players who aren't on the Rams roster.

The second-highest single-player cap number for the Rams this year is for Allen Robinson, who will take up $21.45M of the Rams' cap space to play for the Stealers. The third-highest is for Jalen Ramsey, who will take up $19.6M of the Rams' cap space while recovering from injury for the Dolphins. The fourth-highest is for Leonard Floyd at $19M, and the ninth-highest is for Bobby Wagner at $7.5M.

My view of the Ram's cap-management strategy is that I hope the Santa Clara team adopts it too.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I kind of doubt Bosa gets traded. Too big of a centerpiece to their defense.

Small chance he does, but ultimately, I think he stays on the niners.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They would struggle to maintain relevance without him. The 49ers have a lot of dead money tied into contracts like Dee Ford(9.8 mil) and Jimmy Ward (6.3) they have over $17 mil in dead cap hit money on 4 players. People that say the cap don’t exist need to do some homework. They’ll end up signing him and then from 25’ to the year 2035 will still owe him millions regardless if he isn’t playing anymore (Dee Ford)