I need to start the meltdown with this question

EasyEd48

Reaction score
Hey All,
Pete said their gameplan was to attack the 49ers secondary with the deep attack. They planned this knowing they have an injured patchwork oline and injured QB on a short rest week against one of the best dlines. It was a plan setup for failure.

As soon as they went fast tempo in the 3rd with quick throws up the middle and runs mixed in, they marched up the field. As soon as they resorted back to the deep ball it killed their drive and their momentum. You would think a lightbulb would have gone off in Pete or Shane's head, but they never learn. They keep running into a brick wall instead of using the door that's available.

If they lost the game playing smart football against a better team, I'm ok with that. They show they are incapable of playing smart when they show up with a plan like that.

Right on...

I'm hoping someone here can explain the rationale for a game plan this bad.

-Ed-

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Pete said their gameplan was to attack the 49ers secondary with the deep attack. They planned this knowing they have an injured patchwork oline and injured QB on a short rest week against one of the best dlines. It was a plan setup for failure.

As soon as they went fast tempo in the 3rd with quick throws up the middle and runs mixed in, they marched up the field. As soon as they resorted back to the deep ball it killed their drive and their momentum. You would think a lightbulb would have gone off in Pete or Shane's head, but they never learn. They keep running into a brick wall instead of using the door that's available.

If they lost the game playing smart football against a better team, I'm ok with that. They show they are incapable of playing smart when they show up with a plan like that.
Speaking of running into a brick wall, can we stop the toss to Charb in the red zone play? 2 weeks in a row this has single handedly killed what should have been a TD drive.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So, when do we start putting some blame on Schneider? He's been unable to keep up with the Niners level of talent.
Absolutely FAIR question. He's given in to some of Pete's worst "gimme" tantrums; Percy Harvin, Sheldon Richardson, Jamal Adams, etc. that have been huge setbacks for the franchise. To John's credit, the last couple drafts have been good.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Waldron was trying to implement the idea that having a monster physical specimen as DK and he is a good(ish) receiver then you want the ball in your playmakers hands. Makes sense right? Well hear that and seen that with other legends around the league, be they receivers, tightends, or running backs.

That being said; Waldron does this poorly.

He doesn't actually concoct creative plays, schemes, or adhere to his players strengths. It's just, QB throw deep to big man. Catch ball score points. Which in a game of Madden is a great strategy, but in real life the other players are actual people and not a computer set to creampuff mode.

bileever

Reaction score
What was Shane’s plan? Serious question.

That we could win simply by chucking it up to DK with 40 yd bombs when Geno has a suspect elbow and was basically underthrowing by a full yard or out of bounds every time?

This seemed like the worst game he has called in Seattle, which imo is a very damning situation considering this might have been the most significant game in recent memory to gage our present and future.

I’ve tried to avoid the fire bevell mentality but I’m really sick over this one.
My speculation is that Waldron thought the best plan was to attack the 49ers' weakness, which is their secondary. The problem was that his plan required our weakest link, the O-line to hold up against their strongest unit, the D-line.

The better plan would have been to neutralize their D-line by utilizing quick passes, screens and misdirection. I would have liked to have seen DK in the backfield, used almost like Deebo, in screens and short passes out of the backfield. DK isn't like Deebo in that he doesn't have any shimmy in his game, so he's not going to be as effective as Deebo (plus Waldron isn't creative like Shanahan), but it might have been more effective to try to get 4 or 5 yards on short passes to DK.

But yes, the game plan he came up with makes me seriously question his intelligence.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
My speculation is that Waldron thought the best plan was to attack the 49ers' weakness, which is their secondary. The problem was that his plan required our weakest link, the O-line to hold up against their strongest unit, the D-line.

The better plan would have been to neutralize their D-line by utilizing quick passes, screens and misdirection. I would have liked to have seen DK in the backfield, used almost like Deebo, in screens and short passes out of the backfield. DK isn't like Deebo in that he doesn't have any shimmy in his game, so he's not going to be as effective as Deebo (plus Waldron isn't creative like Shanahan), but it might have been more effective to try to get 4 or 5 yards on short passes to DK.

But yes, the game plan he came up with makes me seriously question his intelligence.
Truth and really I’m ok with attacking their secondary, even with deeper shots. But anybody who’s anybody knows Ward isn’t the weak spot.

I’m just so frustrated i could scream that it didn’t seem we attacked the hole left by Hufonga until the 3rd quarter. And whaddya know? That’s when we had an NFL offense.

Xxx

Reaction score
Truth and really I’m ok with attacking their secondary, even with deeper shots. But anybody who’s anybody knows Ward isn’t the weak spot.

I’m just so frustrated i could scream that it didn’t seem we attacked the hole left by Hufonga until the 3rd quarter. And whaddya know? That’s when we had an NFL offense.
Even if it’s their weakest spot you can’t just attack it over and over and over and over and over and ……

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

This is what Waldron was suppose to bring to Seattle, a layered sequencing style of scheming and playcalling.........like McVay and Shanahan.

You know, what these two coaches have been doing to us for years with great success. Instead he and Pete like to scheme long developing route trees downfield that never work because the line can't protect Geno for more than 2 seconds, and a predictable ineffective run game resulting in lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

So in year three with two mediocre to good QB's and now a group of exceptionally deep skill position players? and still not successful? Time to go Shane.

Xxx

Reaction score
This is what Waldron was suppose to bring to Seattle, a layered sequencing style of scheming and playcalling.........like McVay and Shanahan.

You know, what these two coaches have been doing to us for years with great success. Instead he and Pete like to scheme long developing route trees downfield that never work because the line can't protect Geno for more than 2 seconds, and a predictable ineffective run game resulting in lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

So in year three with two mediocre to good QB's and now a group of exceptionally deep skill position players? and still not successful? Time to go Shane.
Don’t forget they love committing penalties on 2nd and 3

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
What’s crazy is, if the average fan or poster here knows that Seattle has all sorts of talents with DK, Lockett, JSN and Bobo, and including tight end group, Waldron, should also know he can design great plays to utilize their skills.

And then Carroll says, they are not used correctly or however he puts it.

I don’t think that’s the case.

I don’t think Waldron is a dumb guy.

This has got to be restrictive to what Carroll says and what plays to run offense and then it doesn’t work Carroll can then blame Waldron to be his scapegoat.

That’s insane!

Seattle has talented play makers and I don’t think it’s Waldron that doesn’t know what to do, it’s entirely, Carroll handcuffing the offensive coordinators.

Carroll has had so many offensive coordinators, not all of them are idiots and don’t know how to design offensive game plans.

Carroll, has got to be the continually handcuffing the offense and then blames other people.

I don’t believe Waldron doesn’t know he has talent—it’s Carroll, that is the one that doesn’t allow an offense to be controlled by the offensive coordinator.

Waldron is going to be fired and most people here will be happy but that’s not the underlying issue and what ever OC it is will struggle with being a “yes, man” to Carroll.

This team is doomed with Carroll at helm and will never be above average and capable of beating playoff teams….

Carroll, needs to go! And he couldn’t be gone any sooner!

Xxx

Reaction score
What’s crazy is, if the average fan or poster here knows that Seattle has all sorts of talents with DK, Lockett, JSN and Bobo, and including tight end group, Waldron, should also know he can design great plays to utilize their skills.

And then Carroll says, they are not used correctly or however he puts it.

I don’t think that’s the case.

I don’t think Waldron is a dumb guy.

This has got to be restrictive to what Carroll says and what plays to run offense and then it doesn’t work Carroll can then blame Waldron to be his scapegoat.

That’s insane!

Seattle has talented play makers and I don’t think it’s Waldron that doesn’t know what to do, it’s entirely, Carroll handcuffing the offensive coordinators.

Carroll has had so many offensive coordinators, not all of them are idiots and don’t know how to design offensive game plans.

Carroll, has got to be the continually handcuffing the offense and then blames other people.

I don’t believe Waldron doesn’t know he has talent—it’s Carroll, that is the one that doesn’t allow an offense to be controlled by the offensive coordinator.

Waldron is going to be fired and most people here will be happy but that’s not the underlying issue and what ever OC it is will struggle with being a “yes, man” to Carroll.

This team is doomed with Carroll at helm and will never be above average and capable of beating playoff teams….

Carroll, needs to go! And he couldn’t be gone any sooner!
Carroll needs to fire his coordinators and call plays himself. Then we’ll know