If They Build It.... It will come

firebee

Reaction score
I've been thinking about it and I saw us dabble a little in this direction today with a couple 2 back sets I saw us used, but the Hawks aren't quite there. What am I talking about. The Power Option Offense. Everybody keeps talking about the Spread Option. The Seahawks are in the perfect position to start implementing a completely new offense the NFL hasn't seen yet.

In the file attachments are just a couple scans of a few formations that could be used in a Power Option Offense. I actually call it the POwer Option Read or (POOR) for short. It's a hybrid Pistol 3 back formation with a variation of receiver and tight end sets that could be implemented. With our abundance of talent at RB (Lynch, Michael, Coleman, Ware & Turbin) and our sketchy depth at TE. If you look at the formation, you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't think a defense could stop the Hawks offense if some read-option run and passing plays were ran out of these formations.

JUST DO IT

Attachments

• POOR Base.JPG
    POOR Base.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • POOR Spread.JPG
    POOR Spread.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,227
  • POOR Twins.JPG
    POOR Twins.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,227

Cartire

Reaction score
I swear I have seen SF run this same formation. In fact, im pretty sure I saw it a few times in the Super Bowl.

Cartire

Reaction score
Its rare to see, but it has a lot of options out of it. The downside I have seen is that defenses will stack the box and if anyone misses their blocks, it will fold hard. However, play-action out of this can be great with a fast TE.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Yeah, Niners run a LOT of plays out of those formations. It really helps Kaepernick.

Cartire

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1iayfvvb said:
What 3 backs/te's would we put back there?

If we did it, it would be Cole, Lynch and either Turbin/Ware. We would have to keep Miller at TE. We couldnt get away with the spread.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Wenhawk":n3kn8tx4 said:
What 3 backs/te's would we put back there?
Well... I'm liking a lot of combinations. Coleman and Ware are good hybrid FB/HB types that can catch out of the backfield. They're almost perfect for the wingback position. Then we have Lynch, Turbin and Christine. Any combination of these guys in the backfield are going to be a threat to a defense.

These formations would allow us to tap into our pool of backs and spell our TEs without sacrificing run blocking or protection. If we plugged Willson in at TE, we could use him more as a receiver out of the TE position vs. keeping him in to block - a weakness in his game right now. We can pull both TEs and split Rice and Tate out to give Miller a rest without sacrificing run blocking or protection.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
So... I've watched most of the 49ers vs. Packers game thanks to DVR and the 49ers do show a lot of these formations, but they don't really run any plays out of it. They use it mostly as a look and then they motion to a Spread I variation, weak or strong, or they go full spread or doubles. Through 3 quarters they passed out of this type of formation 1 time and they ran out of it 4 or 5 times. Kaepernick doesn't even look like he considers keeping the ball when they run out of that formation either. The Niners also didn't run any kind of misdirection runs, counters, fake hand-offs or option read type plays out of the 3 back sets. Every one of the runs was a power, blast or dive type run with no option and they were almost all relatively short yardage situations.

We need to add the read-option and some misdirection to that formation and actually run a variation of run and pass plays out of those formations in all kinds of situations. San Fran uses that formation as a gimmick. I'm saying the Seahawks actually need to use the formation consistently. Lots of options in the backfield suck safeties into the box and stack the box, but that's a TD with Russell Wilson's scrambling ability and our receivers a lot of the time. Our backs have hands, we're thin at TE and this would also allow us to spell our receivers every once and a while because we could go big with Willson and Miller.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Your twins set is an illegal formation, you have 5 guys in the backfield.

I think you're going to have an immensley difficult time running counters and misdirections out of this formation since the QB will be holding the ball in front of him. The most useful thing would probably be running swings out of the backfield and using your pistol look to hold the LB's. Or motion one back out of there to see how they react and hit him if they aren't in man.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
I think Wilson could sell a fake hand off to his left or right flanker and then hand it off to the tailback going the other direction with the other flanker as his lead blocker or hold on to the ball if he sees the LBs and DEs collapse and take the outside lane. A Counter can be ran out of the Pistol formation. You just play your tailback a little deeper in the backfield. I don't believe their's anything in the rulebooks that say the tailback has to be within a yard or two of the QB in the pistol formation. The tailback can get a deeper drop and the QB can get turned to cover the handoff if the spacing and timing is right..