If we can get Baker on a vet minimum...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Suspect the Browns will eat his gtd. $18.88 mil contract for this season and hold out for a comp pick after he becomes a FA.

They certainly fumbled this situation in typical fashion.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Mayfield's contract is fully guaranteed base salary. If the Browns traded him they would be on the hook for nothing, whereas if they cut him they would be on the hook for the full amount and essentially paying for him to play for a competitor.

GemCity

Reaction score
This isn’t a plausible situation, as AgentDib explained above. If cut, some team is going to pay him more than what we would.

Our next QB should come from next years draft. Lock will get his chance. Not trying to rekindle this debate but, I expect him to fail. Nothing to lose here…if he exceeds expectations…then great!! But bringing in a guy that isn’t going to get you much further than what you currently have (with baggage at that) doesn’t seem wise…no matter the cost.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mayfield's contract is fully guaranteed base salary. If the Browns traded him they would be on the hook for nothing, whereas if they cut him they would be on the hook for the full amount and essentially paying for him to play for a competitor.

They won't cut him.

They'll hold onto him, maybe even into late pre-season or the regular season when there might be a couple teams who's QB got hurt or stinks in camp. Then they'll trade him for a 5th rounder and pay half or more of his salary just to get rid of him.

But yes, cutting him doesn't save them anything.

I don't particularly like Mayfield, but I do feel sorry for him. He's being hung out to dry and can't do anything about it.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't particularly like Mayfield, but I do feel sorry for him. He's being hung out to dry and can't do anything about it.

He could refuse his guaranteed money in return for being cut / traded. He's no reason to do that but he does have options if playing was his absolute priority.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Some people: Don't get Baler Mayfield. We don’t need the drama.

Also some people: Go get Collin Kaepernick.

Rainger

Reaction score
Would you guys be in favor of it? I am hearing more and more talk of this being a possibility. It's reaching the point where the Browns may cut be forced to cut him. They were saying on the radio this means he won't have any incentive to sign anything but a vet minimum because the Browns will have to pay the rest of his salary no matter what.

Maybe this is the long game. Force the Browns to cut him and sign him for dirt cheap for a year. With Mayfield the team could be competitive.
NO! Wait a year get our next Franchise QB next year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Baker’s game fits well with what the Seahawks want to do but at the same time I’m really bullish on another short, self-absorbed QB whose current team labeled him immature and also went all in Percy Harvin style on another QB with red flags, signed another QB to be the back-up, and still can’t find a reasonable suitor to take Mayfield in a weak class and QB market.

CPHawk

Reaction score
☝️

Baker had every opportunity in Cleveland with a stacked team and accomplished little besides a semi humorous arc of insurance commercials.
Baker is literally the only QB to win in Cleveland. I don’t love him, but he wins 10 games with this team, the others 4-5.

Latest posts