Inside Seahawks Draft (John Boyle)

CactusJack

Reaction score

Biggest Takeaways:

-They had 19 players with a first-round grade.
-Murphy was their top defensive player on their board.
-Christian Haynes & Cooper Beebe we're their top IOL targets on day 2.
-4th Round grades on Knight, Barner & Pritchett.
-5th Round grades on Laumea, James & Jerrell.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not a ton to glean from this years deep-dive that hasn't been reported, but fun nonetheless.

Wonder which top-10 selection didn't have a first round grade from us. McCarthy? Penix medical red flag perhaps?

seabowl

Reaction score

Biggest Takeaways:

The most interesting pick to me is Jerrell. He’s going to be 25 years old in August and played in division two. This reminds me of the George Fant experiment that worked out. I would love to see the team draft report on him because they had a fifth round grade on a guy that not even the draft “experts“ on ESPN and NFL network knew and most likely would’ve been a free agent.

Jville

Reaction score

Biggest Takeaways:

Thanks for posting. I was about to post a link to this yesterday before being overtaken by an urgent request.

I think it serves as a reminder that the Seahawks develop their unique draft board as a final product of hours of work by many team mates. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the results don't match up with draft boards and expectations of media and fans. Unfortunately, not everyone has had the privilege of putting the work into a winning team.

In spite of multiyear efforts to convey how Seahawks team work works in everything they do, it still alludes many fans. It's a different organization structure than a family house hold or an occupational partnership or a plantation. I thought John Schneider had a very clear remark on a seahawk dot com video review of the rookie mini camp. The message being that one man can't do this job. It takes everyone working together.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not a ton to glean from this years deep-dive that hasn't been reported, but fun nonetheless.

Wonder which top-10 selection didn't have a first round grade from us. McCarthy? Penix medical red flag perhaps?
A couple of sources had them interested in Penix but who knows. I think Fuaga and Latu were both no goes for medical reasons for the staff although they obviously went later. My guess is McCarthy.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
The most interesting pick to me is Jerrell. He’s going to be 25 years old in August and played in division two. This reminds me of the George Fant experiment that worked out. I would love to see the team draft report on him because they had a fifth round grade on a guy that not even the draft “experts“ on ESPN and NFL network knew and most likely would’ve been a free agent.
The perception by most was that the talent level dropped off fairly significantly on day three. It was not a very deep draft. So, that could explain why they had a higher grade on Jerrell. Also why they decided not to own a pick in the 7th Round.

toffee

Reaction score

Biggest Takeaways:

John Schneider must irrevocably accept young Macdonald's system and draft accordingly, Schneider must suppress and control his ego.

Jville

Reaction score
As far behind as the new coaching staff was in catching up with all the team work the scouting personnel invested, it's amazing how quickly it blended together as a team effort in time for a successful draft .... beginning with the first day.

Exhibit >>>>

Credit for this find goes to forum member "Seattle Person" who linked a Raven fan's favorite collection of Mike Macdonald rush and coverage plays. Further previews of what Mike Macdonald brings to Seattle are in Seattle Person's post located in the "Students of the Game" forum .... 👉 https://www.seahawks.net/threads/get-to-know-the-mad-scientist.196412/post-2939547

Latest posts