Is Bevell to blame for much of this teams discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":87qygioo said:
Unfortunately for him, one play will define Bevells career here. I'm not a fan of some of his playcalls but at the end of the day when you look at where the offense ranks and how horrible his OL is, he has done a pretty good job. We also have to remember if things are the way Pete wants them this will never be an elite offense with huge numbers. As for the OP original question, if people discontent because of Bevell then I hope there traded. Don't worry about other people and focus on doing your job to the best of you ability.

I'm trying my best to stay out of the dead horse Bevell conversations, but this stood out as a grossly unfair opinion of the "play."

Why will this play define Bevell's career, but not Pete's? Or Russell's? Or for that matter Lockett's, Unger's or Kearse's?

Because the failure of that play was a group effort by everyone I mentioned. Pete and Bevell send in the play, Unger hikes the ball low leading to a rushed high throw combined with Kearse getting worked over like a two dollar hooker leading to Lockett either not getting to the spot quicker or not being aware of Butler's presence and at LEAST knocking the ball down, if not blocking Butler out and catching it.

So if you're going to throw Bevell under the bus and define his entire career by this play, then you have to define everyone else's too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1e3l829y said:
Actually it was the offense that bailed out the D many times last season.

Which games did the offense bail out the defense? Was it the 14-5 loss to the Bucs, 9-3 loss to the Rams, the 6-6 tie with the Cards, the 12-10 win against the Dolphins. Which game did the defense struggle and the offense pulled it out? I can only think of one...the Falcons game.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":25h0sjpg said:
Siouxhawk":25h0sjpg said:
Actually it was the offense that bailed out the D many times last season.

Which games did the offense bail out the defense? Was it the 14-5 loss to the Bucs, 9-3 loss to the Rams, the 6-6 tie with the Cards, the 12-10 win against the Dolphins. Which game did the defense struggle and the offense pulled it out? I can only think of one...the Falcons game.
Test your reading comprehension and go check out JTB's earlier post for your answer.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":63dr1kl6 said:
Test your reading comprehension and go check out JTB's earlier post for your answer.

My reading comprehension is fine. You stated the offense bailed out the D many times. Which games did the offense bail out the D? The games I mentioned, those were really high octane offensive performances weren't they? Take off your Bevell glasses and join the real world.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":r5fadjul said:
Siouxhawk":r5fadjul said:

My reading comprehension is fine. You stated the offense bailed out the D many times. Which games did the offense bail out the D? The games I mentioned, those were really high octane offensive performances weren't they? Take off your Bevell glasses and join the real world.
Go read JTB. Why should some of us spell it out for those of you falling behind? It's already in the thread.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ixcz3cq3 said:
hawkfan68":ixcz3cq3 said:
Siouxhawk":ixcz3cq3 said:

Go read JTB. Why should some of us spell it out for those of you falling behind? It's already in the thread.

I have yet to see JTB's post where he give examples of which games the offense bailed out the D. I see him discussing the flip off, talking about Sherman, mentioning Belicheck's coaching tree, all fair points. I don't have time to rummage through 9 page thread looking for a post that someone makes a comment on page 9 and is weak to defend the comment but has to point to other posts for their defense. Weak sauce. Simple question...which games the Seahawk offense bail out the D?

By the way, I don't believe Bevell is to blame for the discontent. I do believe that the offense can be improved and Bevell can also improve as well. Cable is more to blame regarding the offensive struggles than Bevell, IMHO.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Our offense was 25th in red zone TD%, 17th in scoring, 17th in offense TDs, 22nd in first downs per game.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct

Needless to say, our offense needs significant improvement. Those claiming that our "O bailed out our D", with the exception of the 1st Atl game, are not facing reality or reading simple statistics.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
From JTB:

In general, the defense has been more consistently good than the offense but it's a team sport and part of leadership is ensuring that they work as a team and avoid pointing fingers.

The defense has not brought their A game in any of the last 4 playoff losses albeit the NE game was largely impacted by injuries both pre and in game. 30, 28, 31, 36. For a team that generally allows 14-17 PPG.

Not to say the offense isn't blameless. They squandered the chance to win SB 49 during and at the end of course. They frequently have been slow starters on offense in big games.

Special teams isn't blameless. Hauschka had a big role in both Cardinals games with missing the chip shot FG to force the tie and missing the XP that would have put them up by 1 with a minute left.

The big issue is here and now. The 2017 group needs to be a team. We instead of Me or Us and Them. The glass house mentality doesn't work.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And this from JTB about offensive rankings:

You do realize that those statements are not true, right?

Offensive Points/Game Rank
2012 - 9
2013 - 8
2014 - 9
2015 - 8
2016 - 17

Offensive Efficiency (DVOA)
2012 - 4
2013 - 7
2014 - 5
2015 - 1
2016 - 17

As far as investment, the last 2 or 3 years have been about 60% defense/40% offense in terms of cap dollars even with Wilson and Baldwin getting paid. The defense has 7 guys with big contracts whereas the offense has 3.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2s7qclq7 said:
getnasty":2s7qclq7 said:
Unfortunately for him, one play will define Bevells career here. I'm not a fan of some of his playcalls but at the end of the day when you look at where the offense ranks and how horrible his OL is, he has done a pretty good job. We also have to remember if things are the way Pete wants them this will never be an elite offense with huge numbers. As for the OP original question, if people discontent because of Bevell then I hope there traded. Don't worry about other people and focus on doing your job to the best of you ability.

I'm trying my best to stay out of the dead horse Bevell conversations, but this stood out as a grossly unfair opinion of the "play."

Why will this play define Bevell's career, but not Pete's? Or Russell's? Or for that matter Lockett's, Unger's or Kearse's?

Because the failure of that play was a group effort by everyone I mentioned. Pete and Bevell send in the play, Unger hikes the ball low leading to a rushed high throw combined with Kearse getting worked over like a two dollar hooker leading to Lockett either not getting to the spot quicker or not being aware of Butler's presence and at LEAST knocking the ball down, if not blocking Butler out and catching it.

So if you're going to throw Bevell under the bus and define his entire career by this play, then you have to define everyone else's too.

I don't disagree with you post at all, but we are definitely in the minority on that way of thinking. Not only did all the examples you mention fail but you also have to give credit to Butler for making a great play as well. More then any of those examples though what about the defense blowing the lead in the 4th? That never gets mentioned.

nash72

Reaction score
getnasty":2mr6lgif said:
Sgt. Largent":2mr6lgif said:
getnasty":2mr6lgif said:

I don't disagree with you post at all, but we are definitely in the minority on that way of thinking. Not only did all the examples you mention fail but you also have to give credit to Butler for making a great play as well. More then any of those examples though what about the defense blowing the lead in the 4th? That never gets mentioned.

What about the offense putting up goose eggs for two quarters. That never gets mentioned either.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It shouldn't define Pete's or RW's and I'll explain why:

Kearse deserves a ton of blame. He had one job and if he just gets in his way for a second the play is a TD. He got destroyed and looked like he didn't even try. He should of been fighting his ass off and he didn't. I really can't forgive him for it.

Bevell deserves a ton of fault because he picked a play without zero regard to personnel. He should of known that a matchup relying on stopping Browner at the line of scrimmage was possibly his worst chance to complete that pass. Then he puts his special teams gunner as the primary and only target. It was a one read play relying on Lockette to run a precise route and Kearse to manhandle Browner at the line of scrimmage. Beyond stupid and I've seen multiple offensive minds completely agree with that. It wasn't the actual play call, it was calling that play against that personnel and with your personnel grouping.

Wilson had a split second and was counting on Lockette and Kearse to do their job. That was the play that was called and he trusted them. If even one of them does their job its an easy TD. Pete didn't call the specific play but was ok with a pass there and let Bevell do his job. Do people think Pete called that specific play? A pass there was fine with the clock winding down, but not that one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xlgq4it said:
forward to 2027: will we still be talking about that damn play? :?

People are still moaning about 2005... so yes.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
This just occurred to me the other day: Of all Seahawks coaches involved in at least 100 games, Bevell and Cable have the best winning percentage .664 (71-36-1) in franchise history. I think Carl Smith also joined the team in '11, so he'd be right there too.

randomation

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":sp9p9wwe said:
This just occurred to me the other day: Of all Seahawks coaches involved in at least 100 games, Bevell and Cable have the best winning percentage .664 (71-36-1) in franchise history. I think Carl Smith also joined the team in '11, so he'd be right there too.

It just occurred to me that none of those coaches had Russell Wilson now you are defending Cable too are you just trolling at this point? Bevell is a not a good OC you trot out offensive DVOA all the time how about taking a look at redzone TD percentage and comparing it to the league average. Hint it isn't good. Our OL ranked dead last in the NFL last year in terms of pass protection. Before you spew the crap about but but Cable no given resources he has been the Seahawks have the most OL picks of any team since he came and he sucks at developing the people that he specifically chooses. He has massive draft input and every year the line has gotten worse starting from above average to our current dumpster fire.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2okiwqvp said:

Thanks Siouxhawk!.

Status
Not open for further replies.