Is It Youth?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Watching the latest presser from Pete and he pretty much sticks it on the youth being the main issue. We are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. Can it be as simple as that? If they can just whip these whippersnappers into shape with another year or two under their belts all is right with the world?

Of course if you ask Pete he will vehemently agree.

sutz

Reaction score
I think it's a big part of it. Lot of 1st/2d year players out there still. I know I'm more patient than most, but I've seen flashes that I like and want to see more of.

Now, that applies mostly on Offense. We have several young guys on D I want to see us hold onto and develop more over the next year or two, but I'll admit we need some hard choices/work there this off-season. Again, I'm more patient than most, I know, but again there are flashes here and there I like.

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't buy it.

Last year Woolen was a stud, this year not so much. Similar result to all the young DBs on a declining D this year. JSN looks great and he's a rookie. Same with Spoon. If you take those few data points, then the young players are getting worse as they spend more time in this system.

I'm not saying that's 100% true. But it certainly points 180 degrees from youth being solely to blame.

It makes me remember '22s DLine. In the 3-4, they were asked to read then react and were always a step behind the play. Pete's D has always relied on speed. When players are asked to do too much, they're slow. Pete might portray this as an issue with youth, but I don't buy it. It seems more preparation or scheme.

keasley45

Reaction score
Part of it is youth, but its mostly coaching and the personality of the coaches. I've said a few times that I think Pete's overall philosophy works. However, he needs coaches and coordinators under him that will demand accountability and enforce the rule of law.

Hurtt looks to be more bark than bite.

Waldron? He doesn't look like he demands respect or commands a room.

Our DBs are coached by D Shead... and I forget who else. ..

Dickerson? He's smart but seems to a cross between Waldron and Hurtt

There's no one in that group to instill fear of failure. And so, Pete is the cherry on top of a leadership tree that a) isn't demanding excellence and b) has questionable ability.

Is Sheaf really qualified to be teaching our guys? Is Hurtt's message getting through? Does he have a message? Or is he still trying to find his place in a coordonator spot. Same with Waldron. I think they're both better suited to be the assistant coordinators than they are head guys. And when yiu get people who are talented, but are put in positions of leadership too early, what ensues under their charge can often look chaotic and disjointed. Thats what I think I see happening.

And I said this before as well... combine the above with the fact taht the team was not deep enough, or overall, talented enough in a few spots and things fall apart quickly. This D has maybe 5 guys that yiu can buikd around...

Williams, Reed, Nwosu, Brooks, Witherspoon and Love.

Also high potential guys in T Brown and Woolen.

But Diggs has put a question mark on his back all by himself. Although I'll admit, the D is one that is robbing Peter to pay Paul, in that they seem either capable of stopping the run, or the pass and I'm not sure how much of his bad play is a result of trying to cover dificemcies in the middle of the D, or whether he's just not as engaged as he should be.

If you look at the list of guys you can realistically buikd around (left Bobby off because of age) and then subtract Brooks and Nwosu due to injury... you are left with good interior line play, no edge play, one every down player at LB, great potential at CB, and 1.5 / 3 solid players at safety. That's not enough to consistently stop an opponent if yiu are also lacking that authoritarian fire breathing hot fear into the guys to get them to perform. Nwosu, Brooks and Adams mitigated that lack of intensity from above a bit, but none of them were on the field Sunday.

And that's not taking anything away from M Jackson or C Bryant. They're nice players. Just not core guys.

Forgot Mafe. Nice player, but right now one dimensional.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I've said a few times that I think Pete's overall philosophy works. However, he needs coaches and coordinators under him that will demand accountability and enforce the rule of law.

I disagree about the coaches and coordinators being the part of importance. I think the only way Pete's philosophy works is if he has a roster full of all pros and potential HOFers in which he hasen't had since 2014. It's been that way even in his USC days. Basically he needs talent that can win in spite of his philosophy. Good luck with that because i'm a firm believer that the magic in the genie bottle only strikes once.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think youth is an excuse. Younger teams are playing better and you could argue the players struggling aren’t our young guys. Our weak areas on defense are our safety’s and linebackers….two older groups.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Can someone with editing skills post Pete's dumbfounded face on Eric Andre's face and the Seahawks logo on Hannibal Buress?

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I disagree, on defense there are alot of players that are 5 plus years in the league. It's probably like 1/4 of the problem. The other 75 percent it's Up top.

NoGain

Reaction score
I just wonder how much PC is going to tarnish his own legacy amongst the fanbase when he keeps spewing out this "positive" crap when anyone can see that we haven't been a serious contender for going on a decade, that our defense has been pretty bad for years now considering the resourcesw we've put into it, that decisions are always made to "win right now" even though that formula has led us to being nothing more than a fringe playoff team.

It's becoming Groundhog Day every year. It's so obvious that change is needed I can't help those who can't see it. It's not working.

Right now I have more optimism about the Cardinals than I do us now.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Watching the latest presser from Pete and he pretty much sticks it on the youth being the main issue. We are the 5th youngest team in the NFL. Can it be as simple as that? If they can just whip these whippersnappers into shape with another year or two under their belts all is right with the world?

Petey is grasping for excuses. That's what he does and I guess it works because no one in the Seattle sports media has the balls to jam him up.

Imagine if Pete came out with these lame mumblings in New York or Boston?

Philadelphia ? 🤣

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think youth is an excuse. Younger teams are playing better and you could argue the players struggling aren’t our young guys. Our weak areas on defense are our safety’s and linebackers….two older groups.
And IF the Youngsters (youth) aren't Assignment correct, then the TWO "Older Groups" have to COVER for their inexperience & inept play at the NFL level, and too, (this IS on the 'D' Coaching) working on unproven Defensive Systems will leave them feeling inadequate...That's a failed system and a DC who doesn't have the System fundamentals ironed out, eh Confusions?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

It’s tough to see this. Youth is not a good excuse, especially when our starting WLB, ILB, DT, DE, FS, and SS have been in the league for over 4 years. DK Metcalf, Lockett, our TEs, they’ve all been in the league for years. Woolen is now a second year starter and spoon was our best defensive player.

I sure hope this isn’t what Carroll is really thinking. Most of our starters are grizzled vets at the point, especially on defense — which is our weakest area. In addition, we did not build on what we did last year, it’s arguable that we went backwards.

There needs to be some accountability for this performance. If Carroll doesn’t hold his OC and DC to higher standards, he needs to go.

The Seahawks are playing catch up from a strategic standpoint with the rest of the NFL. Watch how the top offenses and defenses use their talent and compare it to us. We’re the limp dick version of what the top teams are doing, and it’s not just execution.

This is literally the worst implementation of Fagio McVeys and Flores’s schemes that I’ve seen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

There's nothing else he can, or should, say publicly. Stick to outwardly positive-ish reasoning for the growing pains when it comes to public statements. You don't want to piss off the wrong people or slight the wrong members of the org.

This offseason will tell me all I need to know about his real thoughts.

Ozzy

Reaction score
And IF the Youngsters (youth) aren't Assignment correct, then the TWO "Older Groups" have to COVER for their inexperience & inept play at the NFL level, and too, (this IS on the 'D' Coaching) working on unproven Defensive Systems will leave them feeling inadequate...That's a failed system and a DC who doesn't have the System fundamentals ironed out, eh Confusions?
Could very well be true. It just seems like on defense anyway we don’t have a ton of young guys and the one Witherspoon is possibly playing better than anyone on the team. It’s late though and I’m probably forgetting 3-4 guys lol

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Petey is grasping for excuses. That's what he does and I guess it works because no one in the Seattle sports media has the balls to jam him up.

Imagine if Pete came out with these lame mumblings in New York or Boston?

Philadelphia ? 🤣
Personally, I don't want my coach to aspire to be adept enough to deal with the most heinous, abrasive, and entitled fans and media members in the entire nation.

Then again, Pete DID coach in both of those cities before he became Pete.

On the real though, yes, obviously this is an excuse and youth alone isn't a reason for the lack of success. A seeming inability to develop young players? Now that's a better answer. But what Pete said is a good answer to give publicly because it implicates no one. There's no reason to start firing bullets now. Keep it close to the vest and generic. Nothing can be gained by revealing anything past what is necessary, and that's a good policy for any professional organization to follow.

Pete does this a lot. I don't really jive with it when people dog him for a lack of accountability. I don't think people would be satisfied with his level of accountability unless he flagellated himself in a presser, resigned, and proceeded to become a reclusive monk. Part of this is because he fulfills the function of the head executive well in terms of attributing very little PUBLIC blame to other parties, which allows it to properly funnel onto his plate as the head honcho.

Is it as entertaining for us? No. But it's smarter.

If he's pissed at certain coaches, why badmouth them in public? You'd want to do right by any coach under you, even if you're about to can him. These guys live on their reputations, and you don't want to damage anyone else's if you can help it. Even if the guys do stink, they have put in a hell of a lot of time and effort to go into battle with you and for you. Keep it classy and keep it close to the vest.

If he's pissed at certain players... I mean, obviously don't roast your own players past simple statements of accountability. Don't piss off your own locker room, and don't piss off guys who you may not want to lose. Don't hurt their possible future trade value. All that jazz.