Is Jonathan Taylor right about Running Backs?

morgulon1

Reaction score
I read recently that in 2005, the average running back salary in the NFL was second only to quarterbacks. Now their franchise tag number is only above punters and kickers. Analytics devalued the position and some even say that success at the position is more a matter of scheme rather than RB talent.

The pendulum has swung a little too far, and there's bound to be some correction. Two RBs were even picked in the first 12 picks in this year's draft! Last year, critics blasted the Seahawks for picking a RB with the 41st pick. Even Kyle Shanahan seems to acknowledge that it matters who plays RB, trading for CMC after playing a bunch of no-names for a couple of years plus a wide receiver or two.

There are a bunch of radical ideas out there about how to address this situation. One is to allow RBs to sign a series of one-year contracts so that they could get free agent money earlier. My idea is to have a separate salary cap for RBs, so that a team could choose to compensate a running back without too much risk. Of course, teams may still choose to go with younger backs because older backs are generally not as productive.
I like the idea.

My idea was to let RBs taken thru the draft or UDFA and make their rookie deals one or two years shorter. They can
Merit a second deal with their current team or get paid somewhere else.

Which was kind of stolen from bileever and anygivensunday.

Yeah.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I like the idea.

My idea was to let RBs taken thru the draft or UDFA and make their rookie deals one or two years shorter. They can
Merit a second deal with their current team or get paid somewhere else.

Which was kind of stolen from bileever and anygivensunday.

Yeah.
I can see shorter rookie contracts leading to shorter NFL careers for the lower tier RBs

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
How do you see that? Its a supply/demand thing.
A freshly drafted rookie will always be the cheapest. After the rookie deal is over he will be commanding a salary increase a new guy will be cheaper. NFL teams are always needing to cut corners with salary when the stars are asking and getting more money

bileever

Reaction score
A freshly drafted rookie will always be the cheapest. After the rookie deal is over he will be commanding a salary increase a new guy will be cheaper. NFL teams are always needing to cut corners with salary when the stars are asking and getting more money
I think the idea is that a RB in years 2-5 will still be in his prime, and teams will be willing to pay, at least in the short term, for his services. For example, what kind of contract could Ezekiel Elliott have gotten after rushing for over 1600 yards and 15 TDs his rookie year? If he were a free agent after his rookie year, there would have been a lot of demand for his services.