Jake Heaps: Strong Chance Dunlap And KJ Return

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":4vxsh3sr said:
Come on James, they have never done it that way. It's not going to change. Just because we want them to jump in early, doesn't mean that's the best way to do it. And how often have we seen a team go nuts at the beginning of free agency, only to see them on the outside looking in come playoff time? Quite often actually.

You catch the best fish by getting out early. You don’t wait until 31 other boats have fished there all morning. If you are lucky you might find a good one but mostly you’ll just find fish that are too small.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Where did they have the cap to go crazy early on? And when have they ever done that? (insert standard Russ should take less money comment here)
Overpaying guys is not always the smartest way. People freaking out every single year is the norm. They don't exactly have to cap to the full on like some of these other teams.
Solid additions so far, and it's March 24th. Still a LOT of good players available, along with some cap casualties in early June that always happen.
And for the record, I get plenty frustrated when I see all the top FA O Lineman go off the board. Though they did offer more $ than Baltimore did for Zeitler. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, as frustrating as it is.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2sauaevq said:
Where did they have the cap to go crazy early on? And when have they ever done that? (insert standard Russ should take less money comment here)
Overpaying guys is not always the smartest way. People freaking out every single year is the norm. They don't exactly have to cap to the full on like some of these other teams.
Solid additions so far, and it's March 24th. Still a LOT of good players available, along with some cap casualties in early June that always happen.
And for the record, I get plenty frustrated when I see all the top FA O Lineman go off the board. Though they did offer more $ than Baltimore did for Zeitler. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, as frustrating as it is.

I agree that we should not go all money crazy in the early days. A couple of things to consider.

1. We seem to have some cap space now. We could have had that cap space at any time but chose not to. While cap space is an issue it is not necessarily a road block for the right acquisition.

2. Not every player in days 1-3 signed $10 million plus contracts. Plenty of good players in positions of need signed reasonable deals. It feels like (and I could be wrong) that we sit back and let the market decide who we get instead of being assertive. "Let's sift through the leftover" approach. Oh, I do think they put offers out there but more along the lines of the kid putting $100 offers on every Porsche on ebay. He can tell his friends "I bid on some Porsches!"but it is an empty low-ball gesture.

I like the lineman from LV. I am less impressed with the TE and CB from the 49ers but they might work out. (I am a huge Hunter Henry fan but know the team wouldn't even glance his direction.) It feels like we are doing this year with our D-Line what we did with the O-Line last year. Throw a few low level guys at it and hope they stick.

I hope it works out. I don't want to go back to the days of missing play-offs And maybe it is just me every year just worrying that this is finally a year all those bad decision finally tanks the team but I have been wrong during the regular season for years. I was up and cheering Beastmode running in that TD against the Patriots when they actually threw that interception. I was so completely convinced that they couldn't stop that run that we were going to win that game on that play or the next. I would like to get back for a redo.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
According to over the cap the Seahawks are currently in the worst cap predicament. They are going to have to shed salary or get creative.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clayton made it sound like there is not way they didn't move some contracts around to get these deals done. We likely just haven't heard about it yet.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't see how these deals get approved by the league if we truly are over the cap. I agree they might have already done some things that haven't been reported yet. They almost had to have done so or the league wouldn't approve the deals.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1i234kd5 said:
I can't see Dunlop back now with the 2 signings today.
The whole defense would be relying on Hyder and Taylor/Robinson to step up. That's a huge gamble.

Just have to open up the $8M or whatever, so the season doesn't go down the toilet again.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2grutfcx said:
According to over the cap the Seahawks are currently in the worst cap predicament. They are going to have to shed salary or get creative.

Finally back to being number 1!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Saw in other thread that Dunlap coming back. :2thumbs:

:pray: KJ.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":10u96xi5 said:
sutz":10u96xi5 said:

Yep. With Dunlap on board Heaps is half way home with his projection. Who can afford KJ? Can we?

We can afford KJ if he's willing to accept a 4-5M a year contract. He's not getting the 7M he made last year. Maybe even not that.

He played well last year, but after the last two years of him hearing crickets on the free agent market it's pretty obvious that other teams see him as a Seahawk fit, and not a LB they can plug into their systems.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vb7062ah said:
Appyhawk":vb7062ah said:
sutz":vb7062ah said:

Yep. With Dunlap on board Heaps is half way home with his projection. Who can afford KJ? Can we?

We can afford KJ if he's willing to accept a 4-5M a year contract. He's not getting the 7M he made last year. Maybe even not that.

He played well last year, but after the last two years of him hearing crickets on the free agent market it's pretty obvious that other teams see him as a Seahawk fit, and not a LB they can plug into their systems.

Seattle has interviewed Army SAM LB prospect Jon Rhattigan 2 times so far some say he’s a top 60 prospect.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
LB’s are having excellent Pro Days! Watch out it’s been many years since there’s been this much LB speed throughout the draft. Rob Stanton dismisses it because he believes Pro days are inaccurate but after following Stanton it looks like another psychological melt down. Stanton argued last year that Poona Ford wasn’t a starting caliber DT and now way Seattle could win the NFC West.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
massari":1ltjhbek said:
HawkRiderFan":1ltjhbek said:
I can't see Dunlop back now with the 2 signings today.
The whole defense would be relying on Hyder and Taylor/Robinson to step up. That's a huge gamble.

Just have to open up the $8M or whatever, so the season doesn't go down the toilet again.

If you hadn't quoted me I would have deleted my post to remove the evidence lol

Latest posts