JS what you think of him?

Scout

Reaction score
I have to say the 1 year deals handed out is definitely being received and viewed differently. I understand how it can be viewed as win now mode but the Rams and Bucs did 1 year deals due to cap crunch and they were basically staring over post SB victories respectively.

Keep in mind the 1 year deals offer flexibility while the focus is still on drafted players and undrafted free agents. I think if I recall correctly Rams signed like 26 undrafted free agents while the Bucs signed 19 undrafted free agents last off season.

Point being that JS primary focus is on the draft and as it should be. Now if those vets on 1 year deals show out then Mac will communicate that with JS to re-sign on multi year deals if it makes sense.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I rate him. I think his biggest weakness is Oline evaluations. Especially at guard and center. Jury is still out on his trades but I need to see going forward how much of that was Pete- Jimmy Graham, Harvin, Adams weren't great and expensive. Lynch was a home run.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I rate him. I think his biggest weakness is Oline evaluations. Especially at guard and center. Jury is still out on his trades but I need to see going forward how much of that was Pete- Jimmy Graham, Harvin, Adams weren't great and expensive. Lynch was a home run.
Lynch was all Pete. I know that for sure. He was on Schneider to go get Lynch from day one.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I will wait till after training camp and season to start judging him yet
but I feel like Pete was behind a lot of the star struck moves that
never worked.
All eyes are solely on John now with no Pete to overrule what he wants
to do.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don't really feel that we know JS very well at all . He seemed to play second fiddle to PC for 14 years ; when as GM , he should have been in charge . Why wasn't he the one in charge as the GM ? Did Paul Allen tell him @ the beginning that he was GM in title only and PC runs the show ? Who knows what the deal was ? What stands out to me is his lack of fire . He seems too passive to be a NFL GM . We will soon see what he's got . imo
The HC/GM relationship is fluid.
Fact is, almost every team has a slightly different formula.
Some teams the HC is the ultimate authority, some the GM is. Most teams have a combination(I think).
Some teams have the HC as the GM.

Who’s “in charge” depends on how the chain of command is structured.

xray

Reaction score
The HC/GM relationship is fluid.
Fact is, almost every team has a slightly different formula.
Some teams the HC is the ultimate authority, some the GM is. Most teams have a combination(I think).
Some teams have the HC as the GM.

Who’s “in charge” depends on how the chain of command is structured.
^
Exactly . PC was 1st and JS was another number . Any questions ?

seahawks08

Reaction score
JS was protected by the towering personality of Pete. Pete was amazing and JS remained a compliment. He wasn’t always right but he could have oversold players to Pete. He didn’t have authority to influence Pete’s assessment of his staff. To me it’s a mixed bag because our scouting and drafting wasn’t always sharp either. Pete has given him the freedom around all of that. Mid season triggers around big trades and contracts could be hormonal by Pete’s standards. Either way there is a great loyalty culture Pete nurtured within the organization. Schneider will probably have much less tolerance from fans and ownership if this current model doesn’t click in 3 years of incremental and meteorical improvements. Exciting times ahead.

xray

Reaction score
Lots of chat about players and John, and none about the absolutely incredible coaching staff haul of his.
Why is this coaching staff absolutely incredible ?
We haven't seen chit yet . A rookie HC and others with no pro coaching experience ; might suck for all we know . Coronate them now if you want ; but I'll wait and see if you don't mind .

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Why is this coaching staff absolutely incredible ?
We haven't seen chit yet . A rookie HC and others with no pro coaching experience ; might suck for all we know . Coronate them now if you want ; but I'll wait and see if you don't mind .
Agreed. Tired of people crowning MacDonald as some sort of genius.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the second coming of Dan Quinn. Coach Big Mac had a ton of talent to work with in Baltimore. Sure, his schemes are innovative, but how will they look here with not nearly as much talent? We will have to wait and see.

Way too much inexperience across the board here with the coaches. This could be good, or it could wind up like a lead zeppelin. And not one of the greatest rock bands of all time types either.

As far as Schneider, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's hilarious how many folks around this board want to give him a pass for the past few years, now claiming Carroll was making all those decisions (which is not as black and white and many here are lead to believe).

Schneider is a poor trade negotiator, below average at managing the cap, and in my opinion, a below average to bad GM. He won't be here four seasons from now. Book it.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Lots of chat about players and John, and none about the absolutely incredible coaching staff haul of his.
If you think the moves so far are bad: "Wait until after the season to judge"
If you think the coaching staff is good: "It's okay to believe it now"

Almost as good as:
The draft is such a crap shoot and most everyone doesn't work out and the cutoff for great talent is X number of picks higher than what we have.
Free agency is such a crap shoot and most everyone doesn't work out and how ever much cap space we have we do not have enough to sign an elite player.

Latest posts