austinslater25":y6nyt9ps said:
SalishHawkFan":y6nyt9ps said:
Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]LOhAREao-vY[/youtube]

Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]fKOLqM-LnA0[/youtube]

Deserves to get paid:

[youtube]AKnzkF_QtX0[/youtube]

Anyone think a measly $2.3 million spit in the bucket is too much just, you know, STFU.

Did you seriously just handpick a couple of plays and then tell everyone to SU? Lol ok....

No one hates Kearse at all. I like him a lot as a #3/#4 type receiver. He is way too inconsistent to be an every down starter and it showed numerous times last year. The Seahawks are not going to pay him 2.3 million and will look to restructure the deal to make it worthwhile for the team and they really don't have a choice. I will be SHOCKED if he is starting next year though. They have to upgrade the position.

Seriously. Show the 4 non-catches that resulted in INTs in the NFCCG. Show the 3rd down non-catch/drop in the SB that probably would have taken away the Patriots Momentum that allowed them to take the lead (and eventually the game). I just hope Kearse continues to get better.

kearly

Reaction score
StoneCold":p6bk5o8t said:
What would Kearse have to improve on to make him as valuable as Devin Smith? Is it speed, better hands, better route running? What do you think the likely hood he will be able to improve in any of these areas? Not asking to be snarky, truly wondering what Kearses upside could be. Or has he reached the pinnacle of what he's capable of?

I think with Kearse, what you see is what you get. Not much of an upside guy. He's basically as good now as he will ever be.

I don't know if Smith will be a #1 in the NFL who draws double teams, but he is a beast on the deep ball and his measurables and style are like a more talented version of Kearse. Just a little better in every way, with better hands, of course.

kearly

Reaction score
austinslater25":el64uwbv said:
We disagree on quality starter. His drops are at crucial moments and he's inconsistent when he needs to step up. If you think Kearse is a quality starter where do you rank him league wide against other #1's? I'm not sure he would start on many other teams to be honest. I love him as a #3/4 and I'm guessing that's what the team ideally sees him as well and they will try to upgrade the position. But you're right, they can't afford to lose him. They also know there is almost little chance of that happening at that tender

As said already, Kearse's drop rate is not what a lot of fans think it is. According to sporting charts, his drop rate was only 2.9% last season (not counting postseason). And his big plays more than made up for his drops, like his last catch in the SB, which unfortunately was cancelled out by Bevell.

If you look up WRs who are getting paid roughly $2.3 million next season, you'll see a long list of #3 and #4 WRs and guys on rookie contracts. The pay is fine.

I'm probably overselling it to call Kearse a solid starter. But regardless, Seattle has utilized Kearse like a #2 WR each of the last two seasons. Including the playoffs, he has 23 starts the last two seasons. $2.3 million is actually a pretty good price for a passable starter at WR. Kearse wasn't that far off in value last season to Baldwin, and will earn half as much money.

My main thing is, our deep passing game is kind of screwed without him. He's basically the only WR we had last season that we could trust to high point a deep throw (until Mathews stepped up in the SB). And I'm not ready to trust Matthews that much based on one game and one sizable matchup advantage.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Someone on the board already disputed the catch rate after reviewing each game and questioned what I'd catchall but let's concede it's really that low..I still contend his drops come at critical moments. It's something that's plagued him since college so maybe I'm harder on him Than i should be. I don't think our opinion of him is all that far off. I contend that if he is a starter next year it's not a good thing. Most around the league said we were at or near the very bottom, that's saying something. It's critical that we get better.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This was fully expected, and Kearse is arguably the only viable outside receiver on this team. (I maintain that Baldwin needs to slide back to the slot.) Kearse plays ST and makes explosive plays. We paid the same price for Jeron Johnson last year. Not a huge deal for the expected production.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is a good signing. I think other teams look at the huge, explosive plays that Kearse makes and he'd get more than 2 million on the free agent market for sure. I'd still like to have Kearse as our #2 WR with Baldwin as the #3, but a #2 WR that is even capable of the kind of plays that Kearse makes, some negative plays or not, for a little over 2 million is a damn good deal.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1e1ju7a3 said:
Ok explain to me why you think Kearse is worth it. Are you happy with his play this past year? Ready for him to be the #1 this year? I'm all ears, sell me on Kearse.....
Apparently John Schneider & Pete Carroll are sold on Kearse, to the tune of $2.3 M, and a 2nd round tender, so it really doesn't matter whether any of us here are sold or not sold on him.
I think the reason for them putting that high a price on him?, they don't want to see him go anywhere, because they see him as more a valued player.
Frankly, if Pete and John are fine with it, who are we to try'n poke holes?
Lot's of doubters trying to tout their expertise. LOL

McGruff

Reaction score
Paying Kearse 2.3 million doesn't make him the starter. It doesn't even guarantee he makes the team. It means he's part of the pile that will probably include some new vets, some 2nd year redshirts (Norwood, Matthews, Richardson) and some fresh rookies (its a really good deep class). It means that his presence pushes others, and others push him. Even if he plays on the tender (most likely IMO), its not a lot of money, and that money represents the value of his production, but more importantly the value of competition.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't dislike Kearse, but my opinion is take a 2nd for him in a heart beat, and he makes terrible commercials.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":18rijdq3 said:
Don't be bitter about him just making the 'big catches.' Buddy Ryan said the same thing about Cris Carter before trading him to the Vikes and C C wound up being a Hall of Famer. I think the Kearse deal is good for both parties and am glad he is back.

Do you even know the real story, or are you just twisting facts to meet your argument here? Buddy said that to spare Carter the embarrassment in the media of being traded because he was a drug addict.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_22599928/e ... wish-i-had

I knew exactly what Buddy was doing. He told me he would never reveal my past (drug and alcohol abuse) to anyone. Someone asked him a question, "Why did you cut him?" And he said, "Well, he only caught touchdowns. He wasn't a complete receiver." It was what he decided to do to try to protect me.