Laiatu Latu

SonicHawk

Reaction score
My sneaky pick for Seattle last year was Witherspoon. Here's my pick this year:

Now, a lot of mocks have him in the top 10, but I've seen mocks with him in the late teens, so if he drops it could be a real steal. Speed and intense football IQ.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I agree, he's projected higher -- but seeing some mocks with him in the late teens gives me hope.
There's a lot that could push him down. I mean, there's about 8 QBs and Receivers (including Bowers) combined alone in the top 16. Then you get into tackles like Olu, Alt, Fuaga. You've got corners like Arnold, Mitchell, and Wiggins... hell, then the other edges in Turner and Verse.

Hefty chance he could be there. I actually wager he will be.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
There's a lot that could push him down. I mean, there's about 8 QBs and Receivers (including Bowers) combined alone in the top 16. Then you get into tackles like Olu, Alt, Fuaga. You've got corners like Arnold, Mitchell, and Wiggins... hell, then the other edges in Turner and Verse.

Hefty chance he could be there. I actually wager he will be.
HIGHLY HIGHLY doubtful he was a top ten pick BEFORE the combine and he's on the rise.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
HIGHLY HIGHLY doubtful he was a top ten pick BEFORE the combine and he's on the rise.
Well, he's 13th on the consensus big board, so not quite a lock there.

Turner and Verse both had better combines, too. Latu's got less length and less burst. Upside starts to matter that high in the draft, and if he's Edge 3 off the board in this draft, he could absolutely be there at 16.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I have turner as OLB not a true DE that's a guy who will be available at 16. We need a true DE with some sand. Verse would be a nice consolation prize!!

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d take Bamas DE or Verse first… Latu does have a fused neck…and I know this will piss people off but, I don’t think UCLAs opponents were/are on the same level as the other two.

Yes…lots of subjectivity. And yes, Latu might end up being a stud. I definitely will not be mad if we grab him…I’d actually be quite excited for simply grabbing what I consider to be our greatest need.

But, if the other two aforementioned are there…I know who I’d pick.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I’d take Bamas DE or Verse first… Latu does have a fused neck…and I know this will piss people off but, I don’t think UCLAs opponents were/are on the same level as the other two.

Yes…lots of subjectivity. And yes, Latu might end up being a stud. I definitely will not be mad if we grab him…I’d actually be quite excited for simply grabbing what I consider to be our greatest need.

Dallas Turner is the better prospect. But he'll be long gone by the time they pick.

Jared Verse is a speed to power guy. But he's a little stiff in the hips & doesn't quite have the bend to be an impact edge guy at the next level. My biggest issue with him is his lack of consistency. Most of his production came in just three games last season. There we're times he didn't standout on film. He was just another guy. It's primarily why I would have him behind Latu on my list.

CactusJack

Reaction score

Latu's film is outstanding.

If he didn't have the medical stuff hanging over him, he'd be a consensus top 10-12 pick. I don't think there's any question about that.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Latu's film is outstanding.

If he didn't have the medical stuff hanging over him, he'd be a consensus top 10-12 pick. I don't think there's any question about that.

In the last 10 years or so, pass rushers that come into the league with a 90+ PFF grade in pass rushing, good to great athletic traits, and a win rate of over 20% have turned out to be Pro Bowlers. The hit rate is really high. Something like 8/11 players. We'll see if Lutu becomes 9/12.

I really like Lutu because he has it all. The injury bug is pretty big for me. However, if the Hawks select him then I'll feel better. They would have done their homework.

CactusJack

Reaction score
In the last 10 years or so, pass rushers that come into the league with a 90+ PFF grade in pass rushing, good to great athletic traits, and a win rate of over 20% have turned out to be Pro Bowlers. The hit rate is really high. Something like 8/11 players. We'll see if Lutu becomes 9/12.

I really like Lutu because he has it all. The injury bug is pretty big for me. However, if the Hawks select him then I'll feel better. They would have done their homework.
My biggest worry is that he lands with a team like the Rams & wreaks havoc for them.

The medical is a big deal. But if he's cleared by doctors, then I believe passing on him could turn out to be a big mistake.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
My biggest worry is that he lands with a team like the Rams & wreaks havoc for them.

The medical is a big deal. But if he's cleared by doctors, then I believe passing on him could turn out to be a big mistake.

Sure.

I don't mind him at all if the medicals check out. He seems to be a total Rams pick.

12forlife

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan of using the #16 overall pick on a guy with neck issues? If going DE, #16 is to high for Verse. I'ld rather move down a bit to like 20-24, and draft Chop Robinson, gives me Micah Parson vibes, can only imagine with him being a freak athlete what Macdonald can do with him?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
His neck injury history is big trouble. Doctors told him he should never play football again a couple of years ago.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big draft fall purely because of the medical.