Let's Get Holmgren In The Hall of Fame

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

This excerpt was taken from Seahawks.com publisher John Boyle's weekly Mailbag and I think it really hits home how absurd it is that former Seahawks Head Coach Mike Holmgren is still waiting for his invitation to Canton.

Daisy from Tyndall, Florida asks, "Which eligible former Seahawks do you want to see inducted next into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?"

A: The world "eligible" is an important disclaimer here, because we're a couple years removed from a lot of interesting Hall of Fame discussions as players from last decade's Super Bowl teams become eligible. But we'll save those debates for later and focus on those who are currently eligible.

And for me, the first person that comes up isn't a player, but rather former Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, who once again is a semifinalist for the 2024 class in the coach/contributor category. Holmgren has been eligible prior to this year, and somewhat inexplicably when you consider his resumé, has been passed over. It's long past time for Holmgren to be enshrined in Canton.

In recent years, coaches with fewer wins, less playoff success and, arguably, less of a long-term impact on the game, have gone into the Hall of Fame ahead of Holmgren, and while I'm not arguing against those coaches' inclusion, it's hard to understand why Holmgren is still waiting.

In 17 years as a head coach of the Packers and Seahawks, Holmgren compiled a 161-111 regular-season record, and won 13 more playoffs games against 11 losses, taking his teams to three Super Bowls, winning one in Green Bay. In all, Holmgren took his teams to the playoffs 12 times, winning eight division championships.

Those numbers alone are Hall of Fame worthy if we ended the discussion right there, but there's even more to Holmgren's candidacy than that. While NFL fans now think of Seattle and Green Bay as two of the league's top franchises, but go back and look at where they were before Holmgren took over in each city. Actually, I'll save you the trouble of looking…

Before the Packers went 9-7 in 1992, Holmgren's first year in Green Bay, they had recorded just five winning seasons, one of them a strike-shortened 1982 campaign, since winning the Super Bowl in 1968. And before Holmgren took the Packers to the playoffs for six straight seasons from 1993-1998, they had been to the playoffs only twice since that 1968 season, and again, one of those was the strike-shortened 1982 season.

After Holmgren led Green Bay to all of that success, including back-to-back Super Bowl appearances, Paul Allen made a franchise altering move not long after buying the Seahawks, bringing Holmgren to Seattle. And just as he did in Green Bay, Holmgren changed the fates of a long-struggling franchise after coming to Seattle.

In his 10 seasons with the Seahawks, Holmgren led his teams to six playoff appearances, five division titles, including four straight from 2004-2007, and the first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Prior to Holmgren's arrival in Seattle, the Seahawks had reached the playoffs just four times, winning one division title, and hadn't had a winning record since 1990, or reached the postseason since 1988.

But wait, there's more.

If, somehow, all those wins and playoff appearances and division titles and Super Bowl appearances and a Lombardi Trophy aren't enough for you, and if turning around two long-struggling franchises doesn't do it for you, how about his role in modernizing NFL offenses with his version of the West Coast offense? Or maybe his coaching tree, which features numerous head coaches and multiple Super Bowl winners, including Kansas City's Andy Reid, is that enough to convince you? No, still need more? OK, how about the way he helped develop multiple Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl quarterbacks like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck.

In a letter to the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee supporting his former coach's candidacy, Favre wrote, "I know without a doubt I would not be where I am today without him. The three MVPs I was fortunate to win are a direct result of his coaching and leadership. He taught me how to play the QB position."

Young, who had Holmgren as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in San Francisco, wrote, "Mike Holmgren really reflects all these great quarterback whisperers that are around the NFL today. They all come from that Mike Holmgren tree and the way he approached and coached the position."

Even Montana, who was already an established star before playing under Holmgren, saw his game elevate to a higher level under Holmgren, winning both of his MVP awards after Holmgren became the 49ers' offensive coordinator.

"Mike Holmgren is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, who belongs in the Hall of Fame," Montana wrote to the selection committee. "… Mike was like Bill Walsh in many ways, especially the way he demanded perfection."

So yeah, let's get Holmgren in the Hall of Fame already.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Something that should be taken into consideration is his coaching tree too. Gruden and Reid both have SBs and come directly from Holmgren. He's got plenty of evidence that he's deserving of the hall in my opinion

Rat

Reaction score
He's one of seven coaches to reach the Super Bowl with two teams, the others being Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil, Dan Reeves, John Fox, and Andy Reid. The first three listed are in the Hall, the next two are not, and the last isn't yet eligible. It seems like Holmgren compares well to Vermeil: Holmgren has 161 wins in 17 seasons (.592 winning percentage) to Vermeil's 120 wins in 15 seasons (.524 winning percentage). I'm not sure what makes Vermeil more qualified.

BTW, Holmgren's 161 career wins is tied for 17th all-time with some guy named Pete Carroll.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Purely speculation, but perhaps his comments after SB XL about the refs has somewhat hindered his induction. We all know what can happen when the League Office decides to pack a grudge.
What, hey can't handle the criticisms FOR THEIR DISHONESTY and COMPLICITY for their part in the Betis-Bowl F#(K#P ?!?!?
INTEGRITY MATTERS.

Scout

Reaction score
What is even more remarkable is that Holmgren was known for fielding formidable offensive units but he believed in fielding some fierce defensive units to have a balanced team.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm not without my issues worth Holmgren's tenure with Seattle, but overall his resume is good enough to deserve to be in the HOF

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
If not it should be
View attachment 60205

This excerpt was taken from Seahawks.com publisher John Boyle's weekly Mailbag and I think it really hits home how absurd it is that former Seahawks Head Coach Mike Holmgren is still waiting for his invitation to Canton.

Daisy from Tyndall, Florida asks, "Which eligible former Seahawks do you want to see inducted next into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?"

A: The world "eligible" is an important disclaimer here, because we're a couple years removed from a lot of interesting Hall of Fame discussions as players from last decade's Super Bowl teams become eligible. But we'll save those debates for later and focus on those who are currently eligible.

And for me, the first person that comes up isn't a player, but rather former Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, who once again is a semifinalist for the 2024 class in the coach/contributor category. Holmgren has been eligible prior to this year, and somewhat inexplicably when you consider his resumé, has been passed over. It's long past time for Holmgren to be enshrined in Canton.

In recent years, coaches with fewer wins, less playoff success and, arguably, less of a long-term impact on the game, have gone into the Hall of Fame ahead of Holmgren, and while I'm not arguing against those coaches' inclusion, it's hard to understand why Holmgren is still waiting.

In 17 years as a head coach of the Packers and Seahawks, Holmgren compiled a 161-111 regular-season record, and won 13 more playoffs games against 11 losses, taking his teams to three Super Bowls, winning one in Green Bay. In all, Holmgren took his teams to the playoffs 12 times, winning eight division championships.

Those numbers alone are Hall of Fame worthy if we ended the discussion right there, but there's even more to Holmgren's candidacy than that. While NFL fans now think of Seattle and Green Bay as two of the league's top franchises, but go back and look at where they were before Holmgren took over in each city. Actually, I'll save you the trouble of looking…

Before the Packers went 9-7 in 1992, Holmgren's first year in Green Bay, they had recorded just five winning seasons, one of them a strike-shortened 1982 campaign, since winning the Super Bowl in 1968. And before Holmgren took the Packers to the playoffs for six straight seasons from 1993-1998, they had been to the playoffs only twice since that 1968 season, and again, one of those was the strike-shortened 1982 season.

After Holmgren led Green Bay to all of that success, including back-to-back Super Bowl appearances, Paul Allen made a franchise altering move not long after buying the Seahawks, bringing Holmgren to Seattle. And just as he did in Green Bay, Holmgren changed the fates of a long-struggling franchise after coming to Seattle.

In his 10 seasons with the Seahawks, Holmgren led his teams to six playoff appearances, five division titles, including four straight from 2004-2007, and the first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Prior to Holmgren's arrival in Seattle, the Seahawks had reached the playoffs just four times, winning one division title, and hadn't had a winning record since 1990, or reached the postseason since 1988.

But wait, there's more.

If, somehow, all those wins and playoff appearances and division titles and Super Bowl appearances and a Lombardi Trophy aren't enough for you, and if turning around two long-struggling franchises doesn't do it for you, how about his role in modernizing NFL offenses with his version of the West Coast offense? Or maybe his coaching tree, which features numerous head coaches and multiple Super Bowl winners, including Kansas City's Andy Reid, is that enough to convince you? No, still need more? OK, how about the way he helped develop multiple Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl quarterbacks like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck.

In a letter to the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee supporting his former coach's candidacy, Favre wrote, "I know without a doubt I would not be where I am today without him. The three MVPs I was fortunate to win are a direct result of his coaching and leadership. He taught me how to play the QB position."

Young, who had Holmgren as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in San Francisco, wrote, "Mike Holmgren really reflects all these great quarterback whisperers that are around the NFL today. They all come from that Mike Holmgren tree and the way he approached and coached the position."

Even Montana, who was already an established star before playing under Holmgren, saw his game elevate to a higher level under Holmgren, winning both of his MVP awards after Holmgren became the 49ers' offensive coordinator.

"Mike Holmgren is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, who belongs in the Hall of Fame," Montana wrote to the selection committee. "… Mike was like Bill Walsh in many ways, especially the way he demanded perfection."

So yeah, let's get Holmgren in the Hall of Fame already.
Is he even in the ring of honor if not you should be but you should be in the hall too

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
He's one of seven coaches to reach the Super Bowl with two teams, the others being Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil, Dan Reeves, John Fox, and Andy Reid. The first three listed are in the Hall, the next two are not, and the last isn't yet eligible. It seems like Holmgren compares well to Vermeil: Holmgren has 161 wins in 17 seasons (.592 winning percentage) to Vermeil's 120 wins in 15 seasons (.524 winning percentage). I'm not sure what makes Vermeil more qualified.

BTW, Holmgren's 161 career wins is tied for 17th all-time with some guy named Pete Carroll.
and should have been the 1st to win the SB with 2 diff teams.

I tend to not believe conspiracy stuff until I have facts, so I don't think his comments are a factor. BUT, if it came out that they were...that would be one if the biggest CHCKEN $HIT, BUSCH LEAGUE things and people should get termed for it.

Ruskell killed his career here unfortunately, but then we got Pete and John in the aftermath, so it all worked out. I'd love to see Homlie in the Hall.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Thank you for this posting!!! Mike Holmgren really brought national respect to the Seahawks.

Before his coming to the Seahawks, "we fans" had some very exiting moments and some great individual players, such as Curt Warner, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent and more. But, when Coach Holmgren came to Seattle and "took the reins", it felt like the Seahawks finally got national respect!

Is there anything that we as fans can do to support him and other Seahawks who might deserve to be in the "Hall of Fame" in Canton???

I am also thinking that "Beastmode" deserves HOF status! He is a "one of a kind"...

Last edited:

projectorfreak

Reaction score
The committee also has a lot of coaches that are from way back that should get in so they stuff the guys they know will get in but are more recent into basically a lobby , if you will as to get those older era coaches a shot or otherwise be forgotten
I have zero doubt Holmie will get in as he is definitely in several categories is a very special coach bound for the hall but they only allow so few a year it will probably still be a few years but have ZERO doubt as he can not be ignored for much longer

Fade

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren is the greatest developer of QBs in NFL history. Young and Favre would've never been HoFers without his tutelage.

Hass would've been a career backup, instead of Pro-Bowler.

The countless coaches he developed under him that would go on to success, with some even winning Super Bowls. He's a HoFer.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Purely speculation, but perhaps his comments after SB XL about the refs has somewhat hindered his induction. We all know what can happen when the League Office decides to pack a grudge.
Nice conspiracy theory, but there's one little problem: No one associated with the league office votes on HOF candidates:

"The (HOF) Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city — with two from New York and two from Los Angeles, as those cities each have two teams in the National Football League. There are 16 at-large Selectors, who are active members of the media or persons intricately involved in professional football, including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America. All appointments are open-ended and approved annually by a majority vote of the Hall of Fame's Board of Trustees."

I'm not big into individual awards and honors for players and coaches as I'm more of a team orientated fan. But I will say that if Tom Flores is a HOF worthy coach, certainly Mike Holmgren is as well.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score

I'm often reminded of this NFL Films profile on him when he comes up. It really showcases all and all what makes him a Hall of Famer.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
WTF?

I thought he was already a member.

Not sure how or why I thought that but I did.

Having said that, I agree.
He’s absolutely deserving IMO.
Him and Hass were in the Ring of Honor 2 years ago -

Both as I recall had very disappointing coverage of the event. I think I straight up missed Holmey, and the Hass 'coverage' was literally behind a reporters back for 15 seconds off angle while he spoke in the background -

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sheesh, I thought he was in already. He will be eventually.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score

I think it has more to do with his stint in Cleveland. He really burned some bridges there both with the team and the league.