Lock did pretty well. IMO.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Lock and Smith are decent QBs, but if we are going to build a team around decent QBs instead of good/great QBs, then we need to have one of the better OLs in the league, and implement a system that suits their talents.

Taking deep shots while facing consistent pressure is not an environment these QBs are going to excel in. They will continue to just be average performers. We would need a special QB that can make plays with his arm and legs for our offense in its current state to perform at an elite level.

Either way, something has to give.

themunn

Reaction score
It was definitely the best Lock performance so far, against a very good defense. But I still would expect Geno to have done better.

I think having Abe Lucas makes a massive difference to how well we play on O, and based on 1.5 game sample size in 2023 it makes a difference to how well Geno plays too.

cymatica

Reaction score
I said no one on here, not you specifically. I quoted you because you seem to be defending Lock as a better option at QB.

Cause of money? I can't hang with that reason either.

My point is both are mediocre QB's, and no organization should ever settle for the most important position on the entire team cause one QB is cheaper and younger. Unless you're trying to tank and have a mutiny in your locker room.
I'm saying moving forward, it's better to go with the younger cheaper option. They are both backups and inconsistent. Neither will elevate the team. So why not save the cap space and shore up the oline while you draft a QB that you want? In that sense, Lock is the better option and money definitely plays a role in that, unless you truly believe Geno is a legitimate starter who can win playoff games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm saying moving forward, it's better to go with the younger cheaper option. They are both backups and inconsistent. Neither will elevate the team. So why not save the cap space and shore up the oline while you draft a QB that you want? In that sense, Lock is the better option and money definitely plays a role in that, unless you truly believe Geno is a legitimate starter who can win playoff games.

This team should do nothing but do whatever it takes to draft one of the young stud QB's next year. If that means trading up, whatever it takes.

No way in hell they should be content going into next year with either Geno or Lock as their starting QB. I don't care who's making what. that's irrelevant in the context of trying to win in 2024 and 2025.

Cause that's telling us you're not trying to win.

Raifers

Reaction score

Yea this...I don't know why people don't get it. If you've already claimed they are both the same, and you had to move forward with one of them next season (unless you sign a starter in FA or decide to start a rookie via the draft), then it is just a better use of the cap to go with the cheaper option (should...not saying they make good cap choices...see our safeties). Many of you are stating that a QB needs to be drafted and neither Lock nor Smith will get it done, so why go with the more expensive option for the same result?

cymatica

Reaction score
This team should do nothing but do whatever it takes to draft one of the young stud QB's next year. If that means trading up, whatever it takes.

No way in hell they should be content going into next year with either Geno or Lock as their starting QB. I don't care who's making what. that's irrelevant in the context of trying to win in 2024 and 2025.

Cause that's telling us you're not trying to win.
Realistically, I'm not sure any QB is going to be a stud out of the gate with this team, so the idea is to have Lock as a stop gap while the young QB can build confidence learning instead of being thrown into the wolfs. At the same time, add more pieces to the offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Realistically, I'm not sure any QB is going to be a stud out of the gate with this team, so the idea is to have Lock as a stop gap while the young QB can build confidence learning instead of being thrown into the wolfs. At the same time, add more pieces to the offense.

Lock's been in the league four years now, he's not being thrown to anything. If he doesn't get it by now, he's not going to get it.

He's just another strong armed QB with terrible decision making skills who's reckless with the ball. So sure, start him next year, or the rest of this year. Whatever. It won't matter.

This team is desperate for a difference maker at QB, and these two guys aren't it. So you either go trade for another QB who you think has that potential? Or you draft one. Or both.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if we have Lock, Geno or Mahomes right now. The O-line and the defense are why the losses are piling up.

cymatica

Reaction score
Lock's been in the league four years now, he's not being thrown to anything. If he doesn't get it by now, he's not going to get it.

He's just another strong armed QB with terrible decision making skills who's reckless with the ball. So sure, start him next year, or the rest of this year. Whatever. It won't matter.

This team is desperate for a difference maker at QB, and these two guys aren't it. So you either go trade for another QB who you think has that potential? Or you draft one. Or both.
Talking about not throwing a rookie QB into the wolfs. This offense needs more than just a QB. They need more help on the oline and someone else in charge of the offense. I would rather not see a young QB wasted with poor coaching and a suspect oline.

renofox

Reaction score
Lock and Smith are decent QBs, but if we are going to build a team around decent QBs instead of good/great QBs, then we need to have one of the better OLs in the league, and implement a system that suits their talents.

Taking deep shots while facing consistent pressure is not an environment these QBs are going to excel in. They will continue to just be average performers. We would need a special QB that can make plays with his arm and legs for our offense in its current state to perform at an elite level.

Do you think PCJS even have the ability to build a good O-line?

I'd love to see it but history is not on their side. Seahawks have had a bottom 5-10 O-line since the SBs. When we got the Lombardi, it was the highest paid O-line in the NFL and still questionable top-10.

They went cheap because RW could overcome a bad line, but they've never seemed to care that the O-line sucked.

You could say the same about the D-line, except they've poured boatloads of resources into it and have never really had anything to show for it since they lucked out getting Bennett and Avril cheap. That was a weird year where there was no FA market for 4-3 DEs. We got the top 2 FA DEs for peanuts.

Top teams have top lines. PCJS have failed utterly on both sides of the ball.

onepicknick1

Reaction score

I agree he did way better than expected. I enjoyed watching him. I also agree on the OL they could rush 3 and still get pressure on our QB. Both OL and DL are crap but I don't think Pete knows what good lines are.