Maelstrom Mock 2024: Welp, Here Ya Go

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Well, this is new.

Actually, it's probably mostly old. John Schneider is still our GM, and every trusted source in the world has basically said that he was the head honcho of our draft ops during Carroll's tenure. Still, we're picking for a new head coach with a different aura from a different school of ball.

16 is an interesting native spot in this draft. We're smack dab in the middle of what figures to be an extremely attractive range for certain teams to trade up into to fulfill needs at offensive tackle, cornerback, or even quarterback. There's likely some added incentive to trade back given our lack of a second rounder. However, there's arguments to be made for sticking and picking, as we WOULD be moving down a talent tier when players like Terrion Arnold, Quinyon Mitchell, JC Latham, Byron Murphy, and a few others have very real chances of being available.

I think there are scenarios that exist in which we stick, and scenarios that exist in which we vacate 16 for day 2 value. We'll see.

I think sticking and picking is contingent upon one factor above the others: Byron Murphy being available. Byron has stated that he's been told that "he won't be on the board past the top-16 picks." We just happen to hold 16. Yeah, I'm reading into that. John Schneider values having a large stable on the DL, and Macdonald obviously likes to bring the ruckus from the front-7. You can never have enough on the defensive front 7. Ever.

With that said: I don't think he lasts. In fact, I have him going at number 9 to Chicago, who are reportedly extremely interested. So we trade back. I think Green Bay and Kansas City are the likely suitors, and Green Bay has more to offer. Both would be gunning for a tackle.

So, without further ado, here's my yearly mock draft where I get every single pick wrong. Enjoy.

TRADE: Seattle trades picks 16 and 118 to Green Bay for picks 25, 58, and 126.

Round 1, Pick 25:
Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State

Call it a gut feeling.

This pick would be a bit unpopular because most don't see a preeminent need on the edge. John Schneider has a history of hedging positions that saw injuries the year prior, and our edge rush failed down the stretch with Uchenna Nwosu out. While Boye Mafe is promising, Seattle will surely be looking to fill the spot in further with talent. It's a crucial position that you need to be several guys deep at.

Chop has a blazing 10 yard split (1.54), which Seattle is known to favor as a predictive success indicator for edge rushers.

Seattle has held a 30 visit with Chop.

Round 2, Pick 58: Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

Note: Colson could very well go much higher. There have been some mentions of him sneaking into day 1 recently, and it makes sense. The consensus board may disagree, but I believe that he's the top LB coming out and translates the best to the pro game.

He's prototypical, he's strong, he's got the frame, and he's got the Michigan connection. Colson knows Macdonald and he'll have a head start with that in mind. I think he's going to be under consideration with our first rounder, and they'd be overjoyed to grab him here.

Round 3, Pick 81: Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest

This defense needs reloading on the back end, and Mustapha appears to fit like a glove. He plays with fire, he's built like a running back, and he has the type of range to grow into a commanding force in the defensive backfield. A synergistic fit with the feist that Spoon injected into this secondary.

Round 4, Pick 102: Mason McCormick, OG, South Dakota State University

Despite the addition of Laken Tomlinson as a hedge, guard is still a need. Mason McCormick is an agile guard who played very well for a smaller school, and his profile matches a lot of what Seattle looks for - namely his 20yd shuttle, which is an elite 4.45s. 20yd shuttle has a strong correlation with NFL success. Abe Lucas is an example of a guy with an elite shuttle who came in and succeeded immediately, and he's just one in a strong trend. Zach Tom is another example.

Mason would compete with Laken immediately, but would likely be depth in year 1 behind Laken and ready to take over a guard spot in his sophomore year.

Round 4, Pick 126: McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M

Look at that guy.

He's got that frame at 330.

McKinnley Jackson is a likely hidden gem, in my eyes. He's strong as hell, is explosive off of the snap, and held up well despite likely being misused as a 0-tech lining up in a 4 point squat.

Here's a snippet on him from McGinn.

I'll tell you now - you don't have that body at 330 if you're lazy or unmotivated. He loves football and he's a badass who sets the tone. That's what this team is in need of. He's just a football player, man.

Round 6, Pick 172: Dallin Holker, TE, Colorado State

Dallin Holker is a total gamer. He has a knack for making catches in traffic, and he has a knack for reeling it in when the chips are down. He's not the fastest, but he has a very underrated level of twitch and agility to his game (also an excellent 3-cone at 6.83 seconds, which is a good number for a 190lb. slot receiver and a crazy number for a 240 lb. tight end). He can throw a block decently, as well. Everything you'd want out of a TE3 that'll be competing for TE2 come next year.

Holker immediately caught my attention in the Colorado v. CSU matchup, where he looked like an elevating force in a marquee matchup. Could be a steal, but is probably promising depth at the very least.

Round 6, Pick 192: Tylan Grable, OT, UCF

We met with John Rhys Plumlee, the quarterback from UCF. My personal theory is that his visit was more about getting intel on his teammates Javon Baker and this guy here, Tylan Grable. Grable was Plumlee's blindside protector. Grable has a profile that could see him as a swing tackle or a guard convert, with length to handle any spot and a great 6'6" frame. Slender, muscular. Grable is a great athlete who was a star high school quarterback. You're not going to do much better if you're looking for an OL at this juncture. UCF's scheme didn't have him doing much, but he did well and is an enticing ball of clay. Potential quality depth who could end up backing up 4 spots across the OL, with an outside chance of developing into a starter in time.

Round 7, Pick 235: Lideatrick Griffin, KR/WR, Mississippi State

The NFL kickoff rule change has put an increased value on the kick return position, as actual returns will now happen at several times the rate they did before. Lideatrick Griffin was one of the top returners in the nation last year with a high average. He's not a 4.3 burner, but he's a low-4.4 guy with a clear understanding of angles and lanes. Offers limited upside as a receiver but could develop into a depth piece deep threat/YAC guy.

Recap:
1/25: Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State
2/58: Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
3/81: Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest
4/102: Mason McCormick, OG, SDSU
4/126: McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M
6/172: Dallin Holker, TE, CSU
6/179: Tylan Grable, OT, UCF
7/235: Lideatrick Griffin, KR/WR, Mississippi State

Alternate picks/Guys to watch:
Matt Goncalves, OT, Pitt
Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas
Marshawn Kneeland, DL, Western Michigan
Javon Baker, WR, UCF
George Holani, RB, Boise State
Ladarius Henderson, OT/OG, Michigan
Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan
Dominick Puni, OG, Kansas
Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State
Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois
Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State
Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan
Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State
Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson
Maason Smith, DT, LSU
Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
Michael Barrett, LB, Michigan

CPHawk

Reaction score
You’re wrong about why Chop would be an unpopular pick. End is 110% a need, but he is so unproductive in college, he has bust written all over him. Very much Darrell Taylor 2.0 vibes.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I would be happy with this draft. If he is available at 25 I would prefer newton but I could live with chop.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
My "Like" was mostly for the ITYSL meme, but I also really like the selections of Junior Colson and McKinnley Jackson.

CactusJack

Reaction score
You’re wrong about why Chop would be an unpopular pick. End is 110% a need, but he is so unproductive in college, he has bust written all over him. Very much Darrell Taylor 2.0 vibes.
Not a chop fan myself. His film was so underwhelming. He's a day two guy in my mind. I'd absolutely hate the pick.

If you're going to take an edge, just stick & pick either Verse or Latu. Guys who we're actually productive in college.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Always look forward to this post.

I’m not “sold” on Chip but, I love the rest of the picks.

Totally agree about Murphy. I change daily as far as who I would take if Murphy, Verse, and/or Latu are still on the board

This mock addresses the trenches and that my friend, is something we direly need!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
From your list, I like Colson and McKinley.
From others you list, give me: Gonsalves, Kneeland, Holani, Reiman and Sainristil.

I want Edgerrin Cooper (early rd 2) or Cooper DeJean (later rd 1)
Obviously I'm hoping we address OL, DL depth, LB depth. But, I think those two guys will be 2 of the higher value guys after the Tackles are gone and trade down at 16. We'll see about Byron Murphy. No complaints there.

Two other names at LB and Safety a bit later mid rounds are Cedric Gray and James Williams.
Like a TE - either Reiman or Jared Wiley.
Good receiver draft. Ainias Smith and Brenden Rice intrigue me.

Others / later rounds (including UDFA) / maybe a little under the radar guys: Bo Richter, Trey Taylor, Jordan Magee, Josiah Ezirim, Frank Crum, Tyrice Knight, Isaac Guerendo, Jaden Crumedy.

Hope we sign some good UDFA.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Love it. I think Chop is a real possibility. He could be their version of Parsons and be a moving chess piece. Macdonalds loves to bring disguised pressure and he would help in this regard. Nicely done.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He gets pressure, though. Very high pressure rate. I dont see Taylor at all. Darrell Taylor is a much larger edge and is not nearly as twitchy.

Also, I don't think I'm wrong about that. People don't look that deeply into the draft on average. They whine about "needs."

Chevy

Reaction score
I like the pick of Chop in the late 1st, although I do think he is a boom-or-bust prospect. I think we have the coaching staff that could scheme him to be successful. If we go OLB in the late 1st then for me it's Marshawn Kneeland or Chop Robinson.

Nice mock!

CPHawk

Reaction score
He gets pressure, though. Very high pressure rate. I dont see Taylor at all. Darrell Taylor is a much larger edge and is not nearly as twitchy.

Also, I don't think I'm wrong about that. People don't look that deeply into the draft on average. They whine about "needs."
I have a hard time getting excited about a guy who never had more than 12 solo tackles in a year. We need an impact guy, not someone we hope can become an impactful player. We aren’t in a spot to take projects, need more reliable now. Maybe a higher floor lower ceiling guy. Chop is a guy you take when you are make deep playoff runs, and can afford to not have him be a dude right away.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I liked the mock and would be happy with it if the Hawks with it. Like some other posters have said I am not totally sold on Robinson mostly due to his consistency you are gambling on his athletic ability which is a 50/50 success rate. Robinson would be in the BPA area sharing with Darius Robinson and Braden Fisk

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
16 is an interesting native spot in this draft. We're smack dab in the middle of what figures to be an extremely attractive range for certain teams to trade up into to fulfill needs at offensive tackle, cornerback, or even quarterback. There's likely some added incentive to trade back given our lack of a second rounder. However, there's arguments to be made for sticking and picking, as we WOULD be moving down a talent tier when players like Terrion Arnold, Quinyon Mitchell, JC Latham, Byron Murphy, and a few others have very real chances of being available.

I think there are scenarios that exist in which we stick, and scenarios that exist in which we vacate 16 for day 2 value. We'll see.

I think sticking and picking is contingent upon one factor above the others: Byron Murphy being available. Byron has stated that he's been told that "he won't be on the board past the top-16 picks." We just happen to hold 16. Yeah, I'm reading into that. John Schneider values having a large stable on the DL, and Macdonald obviously likes to bring the ruckus from the front-7. You can never have enough on the defensive front 7. Ever.

This draft fell so goddamn well for us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My "Like" was mostly for the ITYSL meme, but I also really like the selections of Junior Colson and McKinnley Jackson.
There's a perfect ITYSL quote for pretty much everything.

McKinnley probably isn't happening now, but I still really like the guy.

Colson... well, we'll need to give up 2025 capital for him at this point.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think it is a necessity to draft a guard. If it is Mccormick then ok, but we can't have Bradford starting @ RG without competition. I see Bradford as a liability.

Latest posts