Maelstrom Mock - A Month Out [No Trades]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Throwing up a few prospects I think they'll be into - no trades yet.

Round 1, Pick 9: Jermaine Johnson, Edge, FSU

Jermaine Johnson isn't necessarily the most twitched-up, hair-on-fire edge in this class - but he does check a lot of boxes for Seattle.

From a makeup standpoint, he's got decent measurables and explosion. He's a bit over-aged, and is a Senior. He dominated at the Senior Bowl, showing consistent ability and effort. He's got an interesting backstory - was featured on Netflix's Last Chance U. Clawed his way up to where he is now.

As for playstyle, he doesn't exhibit a polished repertoire of rushing moves, but seems to stick around in plays. He's an endurance hunter, not a pouncing tiger. He stays in plays, stays high-effort, and that causes him to show up a lot around the ball. He eats on clean-up sacks and generally stays disciplined. His energy is infectious - plays hard, celebrates hard. I can see him in a Seahawks uniform.

Round 2, Pick 40: Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State

You should know this guys name.

For the testing this guy has, plus the tenacity he put on tape, his name should be everywhere.

His athletic makeup is comprised pretty much solely of 90th percentile or higher metrics.
6'3 1/2", 250 lbs, a nearly 82 inch wingspan, 34 5/8" arms. 4.52 speed. The ability to rush. The ability to drop.

I think he could be a meteoric riser. Don't be surprised to see him catapult up boards. Off the charts athlete with the upside to grow into a superstar.

Round 2, Pick 41: Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State

Abe has put some good stuff on tape. He's played the right side predominantly, but he has enough athletic upside to slide left if that's what they need from him.

Dickerson, the new OL coach who was with the Rams even prior to McVay's tenure, have tended to prefer tall tackles. Abe fits the bill at a smidge under 6'7". Decent length, 33 7/8" arms, 81 3/4" wingspan. His agility is fantastic - 4.4 20 shuttle, 7.25 3-cone. 97 and 98th percentile, respectively.

Ceiling, again, very high. He can flat out move and isn't a slouch when it comes to properly anchoring. He plays smart and decently strong. He can get stronger. All-in-all, this is a perfect fit for about this range for a team who figures to need some young talent at OT on both sides.

No write-ups yet (future mock will have all written up) for the next picks, but as follows:

Round 3, Pick 72: Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State
Round 4, Pick 109: Zach Tom, OC/OT, Wake Forest
Round 5, Pick 145: Abram Smith, RB, Baylor
Round 5, Pick 153: Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia
Round 7, Pick 229: Cameron Dicker, K, Texas

No Quarterback? Hard decisions ahead.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Throwing up a few prospects I think they'll be into - no trades yet.

Round 1, Pick 9: Jermaine Johnson, Edge, FSU

View attachment 11215

Jermaine Johnson isn't necessarily the most twitched-up, hair-on-fire edge in this class - but he does check a lot of boxes for Seattle.

From a makeup standpoint, he's got decent measurables and explosion. He's a bit over-aged, and is a Senior. He dominated at the Senior Bowl, showing consistent ability and effort. He's got an interesting backstory - was featured on Netflix's Last Chance U. Clawed his way up to where he is now.

As for playstyle, he doesn't exhibit a polished repertoire of rushing moves, but seems to stick around in plays. He's an endurance hunter, not a pouncing tiger. He stays in plays, stays high-effort, and that causes him to show up a lot around the ball. He eats on clean-up sacks and generally stays disciplined. His energy is infectious - plays hard, celebrates hard. I can see him in a Seahawks uniform.

Round 2, Pick 40: Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State

View attachment 11216

You should know this guys name.

For the testing this guy has, plus the tenacity he put on tape, his name should be everywhere.

His athletic makeup is comprised pretty much solely of 90th percentile or higher metrics.
6'3 1/2", 250 lbs, a nearly 82 inch wingspan, 34 5/8" arms. 4.52 speed. The ability to rush. The ability to drop.

I think he could be a meteoric riser. Don't be surprised to see him catapult up boards. Off the charts athlete with the upside to grow into a superstar.

Round 2, Pick 41: Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State

View attachment 11217

Abe has put some good stuff on tape. He's played the right side predominantly, but he has enough athletic upside to slide left if that's what they need from him.

Dickerson, the new OL coach who was with the Rams even prior to McVay's tenure, have tended to prefer tall tackles. Abe fits the bill at a smidge under 6'7". Decent length, 33 7/8" arms, 81 3/4" wingspan. His agility is fantastic - 4.4 20 shuttle, 7.25 3-cone. 97 and 98th percentile, respectively.

Ceiling, again, very high. He can flat out move and isn't a slouch when it comes to properly anchoring. He plays smart and decently strong. He can get stronger. All-in-all, this is a perfect fit for about this range for a team who figures to need some young talent at OT on both sides.

No write-ups yet (future mock will have all written up) for the next picks, but as follows:

Round 3, Pick 72: Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State
Round 4, Pick 109: Zach Tom, OC/OT, Wake Forest
Round 5, Pick 145: Abram Smith, RB, Baylor
Round 5, Pick 153: Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia
Round 7, Pick 229: Cameron Dicker, K, Texas

No Quarterback? Hard decisions ahead.
I think a lot of people would like that draft, it fills a ton of holes.

I currently want the early 2000s weapons back. Walter Jones, Hutchinson and Alexander. That combo couldn't be stopped.
Round 1) left OT
Round 2) Left guard
Round 2) A big fast Running Back

Chawker

Reaction score
Overall I'd give you a B+ on this draft.

I think Johnson is a bit on the lite side and would be unable to hold the point in the run game.

Drafting a TE in the fifth round is a bit of a mystery to me, I would like to see you taken a DT. But, it must have BPA thing. 🍻

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd go nuts with Joy if they get Lucas at 41/42.

I'm kinda hoping for a running back at or before the pick in the 70s. I fully understand the positional value argument, but I have such fatigue at watching this team stall on offense when they can't set the tone with the running back. Pete offenses are nearly useless without a strong running game. And the more of a tone setter they have at that position, the better they look.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think a lot of people would like that draft, it fills a ton of holes.

I currently want the early 2000s weapons back. Walter Jones, Hutchinson and Alexander. That combo couldn't be stopped.
Round 1) left OT
Round 2) Left guard
Round 2) A big fast Running Back
With the history Pete and John have of drafting OL. I really hope they don’t go OT with the 9th pick.

Give me Davis, or trade down and take the QB from Liberty between 15-20.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Overall I'd give you a B+ on this draft.

I think Johnson is a bit on the lite side and would be unable to hold the point in the run game.

Drafting a TE in the fifth round is a bit of a mystery to me, I would like to see you taken a DT. But, it must have BPA thing. 🍻

That's fair. IDL was a miss here.

The tight end is raw, but literally the most athletic tight end (combine/pro day wise) to come out in recent history. I can see them liking him. In the fifth, I think we start to be a little less beholden by positional need and just try to obtain talent wherever - as you said, BPA mentality.

At this point, my mock drafts are more just a list of players I think could be on the radar - not necessarily a solid projection of how it'll go.

Chawker

Reaction score
I've been looking into trade possibilitys and heres one I like. Trading back from #9

Seahawks trades #9 and 2023 6th round pick

New Oleans trades #18, 49 and 120 to move up to #9 selection.

It comes out pretty close, yet both teams gamble with the unknown of the future 6th rounder.🍻

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I would pass on Smith. He's good. But he has too many plays where he makes the hit and doesn't wrap up. Way too many missed tackles.