Malik WIllis draft position

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chad Reuter has him going #3 overall

Pick 3 Carolina Panthers Malik Willis Liberty · QB · Senior (RS)

PROJECTED TRADE WITH TEXANS
Panthers head coach Matt Rhule's search for a QB1 continues and, in this scenario, Carolina trades up for the playmaking Willis despite sending valuable draft picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold a year ago.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-20 ... in-round-1

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
CBS NFL Draft:

Ryan Wilson and Chris Trapasso have Malik Willis #8 Overall to Atlanta

Josh Edwards #11 Washington

Kyle Stackpole (Who?) #6 to Carolina

PFF has him ranked at #22

Willis is an electric playmaker. However, the Liberty quarterback is still far too much of a roller coaster from game to game. He did, however, have the second-highest big-time throw rate we've ever charted (11.0%).

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2022

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Hawks are Targeting Malik at 9. From what I've heard he a total Seahawky kind of pick, very talented, ton of potential, raw. If he works out great, onward and upward. If he flops, well then next years QB class is solid, and the hawks could pick up one of those guys with their high first round selection.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I've watched some games seniorbowl and combine. This is what i see. He is accurate not insanely accurate but his accuracy is good at short medium and long throws so it's consistent . He has a great arm a very good deep ball he has a quick release and solid mechanics. He is extremely adept at extending plays and throwing on the run something you have to be able to do in the modern NFL.He has a stout 6-1 Frame that can take the hits at the next level. He can absolutely destroy a defense with his legs.

Cons
Looks to run first plays alot of heroball because of his great athletic ability . Will need to learn an NFL offense. All of these are easily fixed with coaching and experience. I will say this Liberty had a really really really bad o-line and he still put up great numbers and that o-line is a big reason why he ran so much and couldn't get past his first read. Should they take him is it worth the risk drafting QB is insanely difficult what i will say is this he has everything you need to be a successful NFL QB. Getting there is up to his work ethic .

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1gc0mrpr said:
I've watched some games seniorbowl and combine. This is what i see. He is accurate not insanely accurate but his accuracy is good at short medium and long throws so it's consistent . He has a great arm a very good deep ball he has a quick release and solid mechanics. He is extremely adept at extending plays and throwing on the run something you have to be able to do in the modern NFL.He has a stout 6-1 Frame that can take the hits at the next level. He can absolutely destroy a defense with his legs.

Cons
Looks to run first plays alot of heroball because of his great athletic ability . Will need to learn an NFL offense. All of these are easily fixed with coaching and experience. I will say this Liberty had a really really really bad o-line and he still put up great numbers and that o-line is a big reason why he ran so much and couldn't get past his first read. Should they take him is it worth the risk drafting QB is insanely difficult what i will say is this he has everything you need to be a successful NFL QB. Getting there is up to his work ethic .

He has a lot more cons than just that. The guy completely ignores the middle of the field and doesn't throw people open. Willis has zero anticipation and waits for his players to come open. His offensive is extremely simplistic that he plays in, there are many things he just wasn't asked to do. He doesn't really know how to work the pre-snap game, he's one read and go. He can extend plays, but he also has zero pocket presence and he looks uncomfortable there. His offense didn't even use the full route tree. His tape that i've seen looked like a hot mess. Does he have potential? Yes. Will he ever reach that? I can't say i've seen very many QB's this raw come in and make much of a difference. The only guy I can really point to is Lamar Jackson, and even then he still comes with some huge drawbacks.

The guy has good character, and elite athleticism and I think people are blinded by that. He makes eye popping plays that would make prime Wilson blush, but many of those plays simply won't be available in the pros. He doesn't know how to play on script. You're going to have to build Willis up from the ground up, It's not a simple task. You also need to find an offense that suits his strengths.

I'm not sold on Willis. I think he's fools gold, or at the very least he's two years out from making any meaningful contributions.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3a55mk3a said:
Northwest Seahawk":3a55mk3a said:

Cons

He has a lot more cons than just that. The guy completely ignores the middle of the field and doesn't throw people open. Willis has zero anticipation and waits for his players to come open. His offensive is extremely simplistic that he plays in, there are many things he just wasn't asked to do. He doesn't really know how to work the pre-snap game, he's one read and go. He can extend plays, but he also has zero pocket presence and he looks uncomfortable there. His offense didn't even use the full route tree. His tape that i've seen looked like a hot mess. Does he have potential? Yes. Will he ever reach that? I can't say i've seen very many QB's this raw come in and make much of a difference. The only guy I can really point to is Lamar Jackson, and even then he still comes with some huge drawbacks.

The guy has good character, and elite athleticism and I think people are blinded by that. He makes eye popping plays that would make prime Wilson blush, but many of those plays simply won't be available in the pros. He doesn't know how to play on script. You're going to have to build Willis up from the ground up, It's not a simple task. You also need to find an offense that suits his strengths.

I'm not sold on Willis. I think he's fools gold, or at the very least he's two years out from making any meaningful contributions.

He's much better passer than Lamar Jackson bro. Not the same player at all.

Rosco

Reaction score
Willis didn’t play any actual competition, and still threw 9 ints in 3 games. Willis has bust written all over him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Edge, Oline and CB should be our priority in 2022.

Draft a QB in 2023 when we have two 1st and two 2nd round picks.