Marshawn Lynch Contract Extension?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If this news is accurate, it's great news. I was wondering if Lynch would start tapering off as a running back this year, as he's aging, and that's a killer for the position. But he hasn't. At all. I really think he has a couple more years in the tank as one of the league's top running backs. He deserves a contract like this, and will make it worth our while to pay it.

BocciHawk":2fepo34e said:
I don't think this is all that weird. They can extend and give him numbers in future years that are cap friendly if they have to cut him or if he retires. A small raise for next year is totally fine, as everyone notes, we were planning on paying him the 8.5 anyway. The Seahawks end up looking really, really good here for extending the heart and soul of the team... and hell, if I was Russell Wilson, I'd even consider flat out telling the front office, if Lynch plays, I'll take $2 million less, give it to him.

I could see that exact scenario playing out too. Wilson absolutely deserves a huge paycheck, but he's no dummy, and he knows what it takes to succeed. He also knows that giving himself better odds at more Super Bowls is absolutely worth more monetarily than a couple million more a year now. With the success that Lynch adds to the team, Wilson could make that difference up in ads and endorsements in a New York minute.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Funny that Rapoport wrote this. He is the same guy who reported all that speculative trash mid-season about Marshawn not talking to the team and basically guaranteed he would be cut. Has he re-addressed those reports he was making weekly? Seems his sources were off the mark.

Rapoport is fine for confirming done deals. When it comes to speculative stuff like this, it's usually worthless. And I really doubt anyone inside Seattle is willing to feed him any info at this point.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":1xwg2zte said:
I think as fans we're a little "once bitten, twice shy" about spending big on a running back closing in on 30 after Shaun Alexander. But really, beast couldn't be any more different. He'll run hard until his legs fall off and his lungs explode. As long as he's here, he will be a HUGE asset to this team. Glad to hear he's going to be around.......
And Can, if he starts to slip even just a little I think he retires. I just don't see this guy as a hang on for the coin type.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Marshawn retires after this game should we win. He seems to still love playing, but the whole pissing match between him and the NFL could be wearing his patience thin. I hope I'm wrong, but this may well be Lynch's last NFL game.

I'm not saying it's likely. I just wouldn't be super shocked.

sutz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2nj4rr8q said:
CANHawk":2nj4rr8q said:
I think as fans we're a little "once bitten, twice shy" about spending big on a running back closing in on 30 after Shaun Alexander. But really, beast couldn't be any more different. He'll run hard until his legs fall off and his lungs explode. As long as he's here, he will be a HUGE asset to this team. Glad to hear he's going to be around.......
And Can, if he starts to slip even just a little I think he retires. I just don't see this guy as a hang on for the coin type.
Yeah, I think you're right. He wants the rings and things, and I think there is genuine love between him and his teammates. If anything, he'll stay for that.

crosfam

Reaction score
After next year, Wagner may end up being the highest paid defensive player in the league, as dominant as Urlacher was. Maybe at that point we just cant pay him. That is why I am worried. Trying to get him extended as soon as possible should be a priority, but difficult if the lion's share goes to Russell. It is just naïve to think we can pay everybody who has earned the raise.

Success in the NFL means you lose some of your best players and coaches. How the team handles it determines if you have any longevity. Another big year in 2015-16, and Kris Richard and Bevell are head coaches, Wagner is the highest paid defensive player in the league, somebody gives Turbin starter RB money, Kearse signs a multi-year contract with another team, etc.

I'm just going to enjoy tonight.

lsheldon

Reaction score
sutz":3ecebmei said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ecebmei said:
CANHawk":3ecebmei said:
Yeah, I think you're right. He wants the rings and things, and I think there is genuine love between him and his teammates. If anything, he'll stay for that.

Marshawn loves the fans here as well. I think his love of team mates is stronger, but he definitely gives the 12's props when ever he can. I hope he stays and retires a Seahawk myself. Would love to see him play another 3-4 years and go into the HOF as a Seahawk.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
lsheldon":352g9ytu said:
sutz":352g9ytu said:
hawksfansinceday1":352g9ytu said:
CANHawk":352g9ytu said:

Marshawn loves the fans here as well. I think his love of team mates is stronger, but he definitely gives the 12's props when ever he can. I hope he stays and retires a Seahawk myself. Would love to see him play another 3-4 years and go into the HOF as a Seahawk.

I agree i think Beast loves the 12s, we didnt get a shoutout at media day though.