Matt Landers, WR from Arkansas

AgentDib

Reaction score
I know there will be other places to talk UDFAs, but Landers absolutely deserves his own thread now that he has reportedly signed with us. I liked him as early as the fourth round and in my view he has a great chance of making the team.

Landers is a true X receiver with great size and the willingness to get physical against press and as a blocker. He also has high end athleticism with a 9.84 RAS.

Matt Landers - MockDraftable profile

On top of that, analytic models love him. He was a top 12 WR prospect in PFFs draft model, and first WR prospect overall in WRAPS.

Here is Tony Pauline's writeup on Matt Landers which is glowing.
Strengths: Well-traveled receiver who began his career at Georgia before moving to Toledo and then having a career season at Arkansas in 2022. Tall wideout with soft, reliable hands. Uses his frame to shield away defenders, extends his hands, and makes the reception away from his frame. Shows good route discipline, plays smart football, and consistently finds the open spot in the defense.

Tracks the pass in the air, displays outstanding timing, and comes away with the contested grab. Adjusts to the errant throw, displays eye/hand coordination, and takes a big hit but holds onto the ball. Makes the difficult over-the-shoulder reception at full speed. Gives effort blocking downfield.

Weaknesses: Displays minimal quickness in his game and plays to one speed on the field despite his 40 time. Must do a better job coming back to the football out of breaks.

Overall: Landers comes off a productive season at Arkansas where he finally met the expectations of NFL scouts. He possesses a next-level build and comes with enough pass-catching skill to make an NFL roster as a fifth receiver.

Why is a UDFA? I have no idea, maybe medical? In my view his size, athleticism and play on the field especially in 2021 was far too good for him to fall out of the draft without some serious extenuating circumstances.

gohogs14

Reaction score
Why is a UDFA? I have no idea, maybe medical? In my view his size, athleticism and play on the field especially in 2021 was far too good for him to fall out of the draft without some serious extenuating circumstances.
He has a pretty slight build at 197 pounds. And he was much better at Arkansas but at Georgia he struggled with drops and even tracking the ball in the air, he would lose it sometimes even when wide open. But I felt like his season last year flew under the radar and he has some serious speed at 6’5, his ceiling especially for a UDFA is really high. He’s also been in college for about 6 years so him being a little older probably didn’t help either. He had more yards and TDs than Jonathan Mingo who went in the 2nd round so there’s definitely some intrigue there.

Mick063

Reaction score
He has an opportunity to make the squad if he can consistently show more than Eskridge. Actually, if he is a good special teamer, it is highly likely that he sends Eskridge packing. Remember Ricardo Lockette? A guy like that is a huge asset to special teams. Lockette could flat cover ground and make the tackle on kickoff coverage. Seattle needs a guy like that. Does Landers have any kick coverage experience?

Last edited:

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Who is this guy? I seen twitter going crazy that we got him and people saying it's not fair.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounds like Alex Bannister. Tall, lanky WR with good speed. Bannister was pretty good on ST but didn't really do much in the way of WR.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
The difference between Landers and the typical tall/fast project WR is that Landers can reliably catch the football. He had four drops last season over 13 games played with a 72.3 PFF receiving grade. 1400 yards receiving the last two seasons at Arkansas.

Jville

Reaction score
He signed with the right team. Geno is excellent red line routes. Also, I'm sure Larry Izzo will explore Landers potential in a Gunner role.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
The difference between Landers and the typical tall/fast project WR is that Landers can reliably catch the football. He had four drops last season over 13 games played with a 72.3 PFF receiving grade. 1400 yards receiving the last two seasons at Arkansas.
Did Arkansas have a Qb or were they a running team?

gohogs14

Reaction score
He was at Toledo the year before Arkansas, but yeah he had an insane 26 YPC at Toledo and was a home run threat but for whatever reason they rarely got him the ball. Had his best season at Arkansas.

Did Arkansas have a Qb or were they a running team?
They had a good QB in KJ Jefferson but were predominantly a running team and ran the QB a lot. Head coach is an OL guy who prefers smashmouth football.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I was bummed we didn't get Arkansas' LB but this guy could turn into a pleasant consolation prize. I also like the prospects for our late pickup of the Georgia RB.
I liked the Arkansas as well but I have a feeling his career might not be long