Matty Brown on Russ

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I personally think he is nit picking the Indy game. However i also have seen in years past Rusd missing the checkdown.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyfbrown?s=09

"I've watched one passing play of the 2021 #Seahawks offense and Russell Wilson turned down the intermediate window, despite the open receiver practically begging him to hit it."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, not to nit pick someone nit picking but........you could probably say that about ANY QB in ANY game. Including the perfect Rodgers and Brady. They all miss open guys. This isn't just a Russ thing. I just think it's a media member still trying to create something that doesn't exist nearly as much as they want. But meh, it's an opinion. Just a wrong one :mrgreen:
My critique would be not running when he has open field. He always looks downfield. That's not a bad thing, but sometimes he has wide open field and doesn't take it. I'd like to see him use his legs a lot more. And he clearly has slimmed down to get some of his speed back. Just my opinion. (John to come shoot down my opinion in 3....2....1......)
I have no idea who Matty Brown is and don't care. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's just another guy who was wrong about Russ and can't handle it. Shoot, the list is long.
But, I prefer negative takes on the Hawks, makes it more fun when they are wrong. That includes meaningless power rankings etc.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Who the hell is Matty Brown?

No, seriously? I have no idea who this person is. :Dunno:

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":20inodll said:
Well, not to nit pick someone nit picking but........you could probably say that about ANY QB in ANY game. Including the perfect Rodgers and Brady. They all miss open guys. This isn't just a Russ thing. I just think it's a media member still trying to create something that doesn't exist nearly as much as they want. But meh, it's an opinion. Just a wrong one :mrgreen:
My critique would be not running when he has open field. He always looks downfield. That's not a bad thing, but sometimes he has wide open field and doesn't take it. I'd like to see him use his legs a lot more. And he clearly has slimmed down to get some of his speed back. Just my opinion. (John to come shoot down my opinion in 3....2....1......)
I have no idea who Matty Brown is and don't care. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's just another guy who was wrong about Russ and can't handle it. Shoot, the list is long.
But, I prefer negative takes on the Hawks, makes it more fun when they are wrong. That includes meaningless power rankings etc.

actually, I agree there are times he could take off, but after now 10 years of incredible play I tend to believe he knows what he is doing. Plus I don't know what he is seeing from his angle so. As to nit pick, well the easiest way to get clocks is to nitpick. So I saw what he is talking about and it is stupid as hell, He this the guy they get an FD, and I guess to him he should have thrown it sooner, so now we are complaining about plays that worked. Looking at it if he throws it sooner the LB ono that said might get there quicker. By waiting till the defender commits more to the middle he got more yards.IF he is talking about DK, well the LBs all dropped back and the Carson throw was the safer throw

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Aros":9zobe197 said:

He writes for Seahawks Maven. Highly recommend if you want to understand the schemes Seattle is running, particularly on Defense. He’s far and away the best Seahawks follow IMO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He only watched one play and is going to have assessment of Russ’ full game performance?
Seems logical. :sarcasm_off: :34853_doh:

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":awabxgw5 said:
He only watched one play and is going to have assessment of Russ’ full game performance?
Seems logical. :sarcasm_off: :34853_doh:
Exactly. This I think was the second highest qb rating Russ ever had in a game. Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yxes1122":jwm3i1gp said:
Aros":jwm3i1gp said:

He writes for Seahawks Maven. Highly recommend if you want to understand the schemes Seattle is running, particularly on Defense. He’s far and away the best Seahawks follow IMO.

Easily the best film guy in the Seahawks realm. Griff @cmikesspinmove is also a great follow.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I like detailed analysis even if it seems like nitpicking. I understand all QBs will miss reads/throws etc. I still like the details.

toffee

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2alj6su7 said:
I like detailed analysis even if it seems like nitpicking. I understand all QBs will miss reads/throws etc. I still like the details.

This

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":12xddsp0 said:

He was or still is MFB in here..

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ had a career game for sure but we will get a better feeling for how diverse we can be as the season progresses, not as it relates to the play book, but rather to how willing Russ is to pull the trigger on singles and doubles over the home run ball. When it works it's amazing. What we don't know yet is how well we can shift to a short pass game strategy when we face a team we can't roll for 140 on the ground. Indy had no choice but to play honest and not drop back like teams did last year.

Fingers crossed Russ lights it up on the short field as well. Matty's observations are valid, but you can't fault Russ for taking a chance deep given how dominant we were offensively.

The only sign I saw of Double Clutch, Happy Feet, Russ was on a shallow cross or slant at some point during the 2nd or 4th Quarter ( we were driving right to left) to his left where it looked pre- snap like we had an easy 8 yard gain but double clutched, held the ball for a second and then tossed it in the dirt. Couldn't see what caused it, but worth noting.

John63

Reaction score
Wow how pathetic some people are

NAME
Russell Wilson QB
Total
GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG YDS/G LNG TD INT SACK SYL RTG
1 18 23 78.3 254 11.0 263.0 69 4 0 3 13 152.3

Are some here just so hateful they have to find something to bitch about. When your QB plays like that you shut up and enjoy, not find BS things to watch or bitch about. It's Funny Carson fumbles and no one says a word. Wilson plays close to perfect and some here are looking for things to bitch about. Pathetic

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":jyfusdzb said:

NAME
Russell Wilson QB
Total

Are some here just so hateful they have to find something to bitch about. When your QB plays like that you shut up and enjoy, not find BS things to watch or bitch about. It's Funny Carson fumbles and no one says a word. Wilson plays close to perfect and some here are looking for things to bitch about. Pathetic

This post is easily the most aggressive and hateful in the entire thread, though. You're doing what you're complaining about.

Russ complaints are fair game if they're backed up by film and a very solid knowledge of Seattle's schemes.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2m7rh7gz said:
John63":2m7rh7gz said:

NAME
Russell Wilson QB
Total

Are some here just so hateful they have to find something to b!@ch about. When your QB plays like that you shut up and enjoy, not find BS things to watch or b!@ch about. It's Funny Carson fumbles and no one says a word. Wilson plays close to perfect and some here are looking for things to b!@ch about. Pathetic

This post is easily the most aggressive and hateful in the entire thread, though. You're doing what you're complaining about.

Russ complaints are fair game if they're backed up by film and a very solid knowledge of Seattle's schemes.

Believe what you want but the fact still stands that the guy played near-perfect while others did not but all anyone wants to do is try to find what I will say is fictional things wrong. I saw the video the supposed expert posted sorry I don't agree with him at all. I saw a great reason why Wilson waited to make the throw, it's called moving an LB to give more space.

I guess the point is some of you are bitching about a play where we got the FD because some guy thinks he should have done something different., even though he has no clue what the QB is seeing he only knows what the overhead shows. I mean what's next someone Complains yeah we got the TD to Lockett but he could have gotten it to DK and that would have been better. WHy because you wanted DK to get tit. Same here why are we complaining when we got the FD, because some guy decided he should have thrown it someplace else, or sooner or later or whatever.

So no sorry I think it's stupid and FYI While I used Carson's fumble as an example since no one even mentioned it anyplace, I think Carson played great.

I guess and while I know I am wasting my time since that's what this forum does, I think its F**ing stupid to nit pick to the point of complaining about a great play that got us a FD because some people thinks he should have throw it earlier or later or whatever. That video does not show me anything other than a great play.

What next yeah great play but the throw should have been 1 centimeter lower so the throw sucked. That's how anal some of you are getting. and maybe in the end that's the answer to the problem from some here

hoxrox

Reaction score
It has always been a tendency for Russ to look down field, rather than take the check down. "Game altering Plays" This has been his mindset.

It's not that he can't take the underneath or intermediate stuff. He is fully capable. It is a matter of preference.

However, I expect to see Russ adapting and evolving this year. Efficiently moving the chains > hero ball.

John63

Reaction score
hoxrox":6257x203 said:
It has always been a tendency for Russ to look down field, rather than take the check down. "Game altering Plays" This has been his mindset.

It's not that he can't take the underneath or intermediate stuff. He is fully capable. It is a matter of preference.

However, I expect to see Russ adapting and evolving this year. Efficiently moving the chains > hero ball.

the question is it is just a Russ tendency or the fact that PC himself has said he wants to run the ball and throw long and get chunk plays in the passing game. OR maybe both. I suspect both, n PCs part because that is what he wants. on Wilson's part because that is what has been drilled into him. Now the questions is can they adapt. We know Wilson can, he has done it his whole career and in college. The question is will PC let them continue to adapt or fall back into his pattern of having a short lease and at the first sign of trouble shorten it even more. With a new system will come hiccups will PC let them work through them or revert back to same old same old. W will see.