My theory about why teams are laying eggs

LTH

Reaction score
Ok so here it is... I think NFL teams have a hard time getting up for games because there are no fans in the stands...this is why teams are laying eggs... with no fans it takes the emotion out of the game not to hear 50k fans going crazy at games...granted parity in the NFL is greater than it has ever been but with no fans going nuts it doesn't mean as much...I used to think the fans were irrelevant and that like the 12's were a marketing scam... and I still believe its a marketing thing but I think fans in the stands builds a team's confidence especially D's when it's 4th and 1 with 1.54 left on the clock and the fans are going nuts...I'm totally convinced the Rams don't lose at home to the Jets with fans in the stands...

This is a weird year... no mini camps no pre season... no fans...

This IMO is why the Hawks have an edge with PC philosophy...

The Hawks are going to roll

LTH

Edit: I can tell you as a musician that there is a HUGE difference playing in front of 2 navy jocks trying to buy an ugly woman a drink in a small bar and playing in front of 300 people going crazy having fun...there is a HUGE difference...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No fans is definitely contributing to defenses not looking very good this year, they need that crowd noise and energy to get hyped up.

But IMO the biggest thing we're seeing in a lot of teams since around November 1st is covid fatigue. No fans, not being able to travel or see family (or have friends and family come see them), being cooped up in their own homes or apartments like the rest of us watching the news being depressed.

It had to be taking a toll on these players, especially the ones on mediocre to bad teams that don't have that energy and commitment to stay focused.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I totally agree... it must be insanely hard...

Pete is on this I know he is... I think the Hawks have a clear advantage...

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I played organized football, not at the NFL level but I personally never had issues playing in front of an audience or no audience. I wasn’t anymore motivated or less motivated when an audience was or was not there.

It is hard to stay motivated to play 16 games, one a week.

Injuries occur, you see a team with a bad record, psychology factors into it and humans can get lazy.

Players are human, they can get lazy and not “prepare” for a team a few times a year.

It’s human nature.

Divisional games in the NFL is different.

Most players are motivated cause more is on the line and pride comes into it.

Some teams lay eggs just cause they aren’t motivated and they feel their opponent isn’t worth the preparation.

Heck, even coaches aren’t motivated all the time.

Why do you think coaches get out coached by an “inferior” team?

Some absolutely try to do the minimum and escape with a win and not risk hurting players.

Human nature especially human psychology is a fickle thing.

Sometimes the other team just want it more than your team does.

It happens.

Nunya

Reaction score
LTH":1nx6kyw7 said:
Ok so here it is... I think NFL teams have a hard time getting up for games because there are no fans in the stands...this is why teams are laying eggs... with no fans it takes the emotion out of the game not to hear 50k fans going crazy at games...granted parity in the NFL is greater than it has ever been but with no fans going nuts it doesn't mean as much...I used to think the fans were irrelevant and that like the 12's were a marketing scam... and I still believe its a marketing thing but I think fans in the stands builds a team's confidence especially D's when it's 4th and 1 with 1.54 left on the clock and the fans are going nuts...I'm totally convinced the Rams don't lose at home to the Jets with fans in the stands...

This is a weird year... no mini camps no pre season... no fans...

This IMO is why the Hawks have an edge with PC philosophy...

The Hawks are going to roll

LTH

Edit: I can tell you as a musician that there is a HUGE difference playing in front of 2 navy jocks trying to buy an ugly woman a drink in a small bar and playing in front of 300 people going crazy having fun...there is a HUGE difference...

So what was the reason when the stadiums were full?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Upsets happen every year. Fans covid no fans no covid whatever.

Margin between wins and losses is tiny. These dudes are the best in the world at what they do.