My two cents and observations

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
For anyone that cares:

- This has been such a . strange season. It has felt strange since the regular season started, and it's been hard for me to put my finger on it. Perhaps I thought we would be more dominate, that the full off-season with Wilson and the receivers working together would create the kind of offensive symmetry we need. I don't think we have played a really clean (or complete) game yet. And I don't think of any of us expected to be struggling so much at this point in the season. It seems like we have to fight for every first down. On one hand, I'm thrilled we are 7-1. On the other hand, I am stunned we are 7-1. Just being honest.

- BUT...the mark of a good team is finding ways to win, especially on the road. Despite all the injuries and lack of cohesion and forcing young players into roles, and also playing 5 of the first 8 on the road, we are 7-1. The one major thing I wanted to see from this time this season was the ability to close out games and find ways to win the ugly/close ones, and so far, so good. One thing is for sure, HFA is CRITICAL. I don't want to go on the road to New Orleans, Green Bay or San Francisco in the playoffs.

- Mr. Quick Fix Russell Wilson. after all the issues holding the ball last week against Arizona, he didn't fumble once last night even though he was a pin cushion. You have to love how he fixes issues. And he is one tough sucker. Think about what our record would probably be without him at the helm this season.

- By the way, it's perfectly o.k. to callout Pete and John for the state of this offensive line. As much praise as we have drown them in (rightfully so) over the course of the last few years, its fair game to hold their toes in the fire. Yes, we are working without our starting tackles - but even when Breno Giacomini is in there, we still have a lot of issues. But as it currently stands, we have: a back-up guard at LT; a former tackle we drafted in the 1st round playing LG; an All Pro C who has had some injuries and uneven play this season; a converted DT project at RG; and a rookie 7th round pick at RT. Frankly, our franchise QB deserves MUCH better. Without significant improvement in protection, we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, folks. We could have drafted an OL with our first pick this season, and yet we drafted a running back that never plays. I understand the rationale with the Michael pick, but it was a questionable move and in hindsight it may really blow up in our face.

- EARL. FREAKING. THOMAS. 'Nuff said.

- Did we really have 135 total yards last night, more than half of that on ONE great play from Golden Tate?? Lol. It looked like the 1992 Seahawks offense last night, but that's probably an insult to the 1992 Seahawks offense.

- Did we really give up 200 yards rushing to the RAMS? Like, for real?

- Did the Rams really not win a game when they held the opponent to 135 total yards, had seven sacks and dominated time of possession.in their own stadium?

- The defense won us the game last night, BUT they also let a Kellen Clemens led offense march 96 yards down the field and a better play call would have won that game at the end (I would have run Zac Stacy right at us - we didn't stop him all night). Did the defense underestimate Clemens a little? I think so. And watching the Rams move down the field on that last drive reminded me of the Dolphins game last season when Ryan Tannehill did it, but at least this time the defense made a stop.

- Watching games these days in the NFL with all the flags flying is really not fun.

- Percy Harvin will help this offense immeasurably, but I don't think he's the only magic bean that is going to suddenly make everything better. As good as our coaching staff is at times, I am astounded at some of the decisions they continue to make week in and week out. Where was the tight end chip help on Robert Quinn last night? Where were the quick throws over the middle (another good way to keep a defense stacking the box honest)? Swing passes or dagger routes to the backs out of the backfield? Dump-offs to the FB?

- And Harvin aside, I still dream about having a big, athletic, glue-handed receiver on the outside who demands attention. Our WRs are marginalized far too easy in the passing game, Doug Baldwin's claims notwithstanding. And I think it's clear it's time we left Sidney Rice go, which sucks because he is one of my favorite Seahawks and I've always been a huge supporter. But he is not the game-breaking #1 WR we need. We need a guy that is physical, can get down the field and disrupt coverages so we have room to throw to the other guys.

If defenses are putting 8 in the box and you are still struggling to complete passes, it means your wide outs are not winning one-on-one match-ups, plain and simple. Yes, Wilson needs more than 1.2 seconds in the pocket to help that out as well - but it's more than just the crappy O line play. And that's the blueprint now, so we can expect to see that every week until we start making plays to make people pay for it. At least Bevell finally realized he can call some screen plays. Now hopefully he removes the Wilson QB keepers inside the 3-yard line on successive plays. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

- I'm not sure why so many people thought we were going to blowout the Rams. I think people listened to much to the hype this week about playing in an empty stadium, that the focus would be on the World Series, that they were screwed without Sam Bradford, etc. If you watched the Rams games against us the last few seasons, you know that defensive line is our Kryptonite. That D line is straight up nasty, and they feasted on our back-ups. Remember, we lost in St. Louis in 2010 and again last season - and we also really struggled to win at C Link last December as well (needing a Richard Sherman pick near the end zone to seal the deal). They have our number, PERIOD. We'll see what happens when they have to account for Harvin.

- Halfway through the season, and Marshawn Lynch "only" has 601 yds rushing.

- There's a very real possibility we head into the HUGE MNF game against Who Dat at 10-1. We will handle Tampa at home this week, I think we squeeze out a win in Atlanta and then we'll crush Minnehaha. Then we have a bye and a few weeks to prepare for the Saints offensive juggernaut, hopefully with a healthy Russell Okung and Breno Giacomini back in the fold.

- You know one way to realize we have "arrived" as a franchise? The piss and vinegar other fans expend towards us. I was getting bombarded by quite a few of my friends who happen to be 49ers fans last night, which made me realize they (a) worry about us and (b) they realize we are very good. Nobody said crap to me the years we were bad. Now, every week I have friends talking smack on Facebook, via text, Twitter, etc. I kept pointing out a win is a win, and then I reminded the Whiners fans they have lost 71-16 the last two times they have played us. They got real quiet.

- Maybe it's me, but I get more and more anxious watching Brandon Browner out there, especially against smaller, quicker WRs. If I'm the Rams OC last night, I put Tavon Austin against Browner last night in space.

- He didn't have much of an impact last night (probably a lot to expect for his first game back in action), but it felt more "normal" seeing #26 on the field.

- Bruce Irvin's potential as a linebacker is really tantalizing. Kudos to the coaching staff for making the move, because I think we all realized he was never going to be a traditional hands-in-the-dirt type DE. 9 tackles, a pass defensed, a strip sack and an interception. Aaron Curry is a blurry spot in my memory bank now.

- Did I mention we are 7-1, with the favorable part of our schedule ahead, only three more road games and multiple important pieces on offense coming back?

AgentDib

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3senrn1d said:
We could have drafted an OL with our first pick this season, and yet we drafted a running back that never plays. I understand the rationale with the Michael pick, but it was a questionable move and in hindsight it may really blow up in our face.
Who should they have drafted instead? I was looking at this earlier, and the next tackle drafted after Michael was Terron Armstead, who Mike Mayock specifically says is a developmental player who needs to redshirt a year. After that, the next tackle selected was Brennan Williams who looks a little more NFL ready. However, the scouting report says he is probably not a fit for the left side and does not look like an immediate upgrade over a healthy Breno. Neither of these two has played for their respective teams yet, and after them you are down into the 4th round before the next tackle is drafted. It seems very plausible to me that there just wasn't a guy available last year that they liked for a decent value.

With the benefit of hindsight and knowing that Harvin, Okung, and Giacomini were all going to be hurt this season, then it seems obvious in retrospective to keep our first and spend it on a tackle instead. Without that knowledge though, the trade for Harvin is looking pretty good considering how our receivers have played this year. After that, a second round tackle may just not have been an option for us.

FlyingGreg":3senrn1d said:
f defenses are putting 8 in the box and you are still struggling to complete passes, it means your wide outs are not winning one-on-one match-ups, plain and simple. Yes, Wilson needs more than 1.2 seconds in the pocket to help that out as well - but it's more than just the crappy O line play. And that's the blueprint now, so we can expect to see that every week until we start making plays to make people pay for it. At least Bevell finally realized he can call some screen plays. Now hopefully he removes the Wilson QB keepers inside the 3-yard line on successive plays. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
I agree with you here; there is certainly more to work in our passing game than simply our offensive line. Every part of it needs improvement, and the receivers are the second biggest issue in my mind after the injuries to the line.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3iyrq2jt said:
a better play call would have won that game at the end (I would have run Zac Stacy right at us - we didn't stop him all night).

At first, I thought the same thing.

But then, when I considered it, I don't think Stacy would have done anything. He was getting his big gains in between the 20s, when there was a lot of field ahead of him and our defenders were spread out a bit more. When the Rams got within our 40 yard line or so, the Rams run game stopped working so well. Here are Stacy's runs inside our 40:

3 9:15 1 10 SEA 36 Zac Stacy up the middle for 6 yards (tackle by Earl Thomas) 7 3 3.18 3.45
3 8:37 2 4 SEA 30 Zac Stacy up the middle for 3 yards (tackle by Red Bryant) 7 3 3.45 3.14
3 7:55 3 1 SEA 27 Zac Stacy left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Malcolm Smith) 7 3 3.14 3.91

3 5:11 1 10 SEA 18 Zac Stacy up the middle for 1 yard (tackle by Tony McDaniel) 7 3 4.37 3.94

3 2:51 1 10 SEA 40 Zac Stacy left tackle for 1 yard (tackle by K.J. Wright) 14 6 2.92 2.51

3 0:26 1 10 SEA 25 Zac Stacy up the middle for no gain (tackle by Brandon Mebane) 14 6 3.91 3.36

4 14:29 1 6 SEA 6 Zac Stacy up the middle for 3 yards (tackle by Bobby Wagner) 14 6 5.83 5.53

4 9:56 1 10 SEA 35 Zac Stacy up the middle for 1 yard (tackle by Bruce Irvin) 14 9 3.25 2.84
4 9:19 2 9 SEA 34 Zac Stacy left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Bruce Irvin) 14 9 2.84 2.41

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Okay. Since everyone seems to think that we should have backups who are capable of dominating in the NFL, someone please show me a roadmap of how to achieve this without sacrificing the rest of the drafting decisions and cap value.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":bcha1ijl said:
Not dominating. But not getting our franchise QB killed.

See: Denver. They are doing fine missing their starters.

Which has been covered. Manning makes the O-line look good. Not the other way around. If Wilson doesn't want to get killed, he needs to get rid of the ball faster, and Bevell needs to dial up more screens/draws.

I also asked for a roadmap. Pointing to another team and saying "That" is not one.

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vus355q said:

Yet they also have Peyton Manning - probably the best QB in NFL history at getting the ball out quickly and to the proper receiver....Russell is great - but he hasn't been awesome at letting go of the ball after 2 / 3 steps (yet)...course, it's also difficult to throw the ball when you have the D in your face as soon as you hit the top of your drop-back, so there is that...I guess.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":37z7lrlv said:
FlyingGreg":37z7lrlv said:

Which has been covered. Manning makes the O-line look good. Not the other way around. If Wilson doesn't want to get killed, he needs to get rid of the ball faster, and Bevell needs to dial up more screens/draws.

I also asked for a roadmap. Pointing to another team and saying "That" is not one.

Extra surly and sensitive today? Geesh.

It's a valid concern. I also mentioned several other issues with the passing offense. Put the axe away lol.

And that's not all just Manning. They do a good job.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":aphrdwit said:
Okay. Since everyone seems to think that we should have backups who are capable of dominating in the NFL, someone please show me a roadmap of how to achieve this without sacrificing the rest of the drafting decisions and cap value.

Dominate-No
Show up-Yes

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
falcongoggles":pvquxejn said:
Sarlacc83":pvquxejn said:

Dominate-No
Show up-Yes

Exactly. Pretty easy to understand.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3bzgbf22 said:
falcongoggles":3bzgbf22 said:
Sarlacc83":3bzgbf22 said:

Dominate-No
Show up-Yes

That's not what people want. If it were, people would remember the Cardinals game and the 34 points.

And once again, I want someone to show how this is doable given draft picks and the like.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":9xhpmpvg said:
FlyingGreg":9xhpmpvg said:
a better play call would have won that game at the end (I would have run Zac Stacy right at us - we didn't stop him all night).

At first, I thought the same thing.

But then, when I considered it, I don't think Stacy would have done anything. He was getting his big gains in between the 20s, when there was a lot of field ahead of him and our defenders were spread out a bit more.
Stacy was also injured at the time. Earlier in the series he twisted his ankle, which is why Richardson was in, until they brought Stacy in on the last play as a decoy.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":38hdf1mz said:
FlyingGreg":38hdf1mz said:
falcongoggles":38hdf1mz said:
Sarlacc83":38hdf1mz said:

Dominate-No
Show up-Yes

That's not what people want. If it were, people would remember the Cardinals game and the 34 points.

I remember RW taking a beating during the cards game and taking a worse
one last night. I trust John Gruden when he repeats over and over that RW is going to get hurt at this pace.

Peyton Manning would be drinking through a tube after the last two games with this O-line.

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":25yz5k1h said:
Sarlacc83":25yz5k1h said:
FlyingGreg":25yz5k1h said:

Extra surly and sensitive today? Geesh.

It's a valid concern. I also mentioned several other issues with the passing offense. Put the axe away lol.

And that's not all just Manning. They do a good job.

You mentioned a lot of things, and he is focusing on that one. Saying Denver has no problem with their O-Line injuries but negating Manning is a problem with your example. In a similar vein you said "I still dream about having a big, athletic, glue-handed receiver on the outside who demands attention." Those guys are rare and don't grow on trees. I think Sidney Rice fit this, but like many many players injuries took their toll. We thought we had this in Mike Williams and we took a look at Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1gkfrtxu said:
FlyingGreg":1gkfrtxu said:

Yes, Manning can make an OL look good with his pre-snap reads and quick decisions. Even so, if you look at their schedule, none of the teams have a very good pass rush. The one with the best, Indy, created problems for him.

Giants
Raiders
Eagles
Cowboys
Jaguars
Colts
Redskins

mikeak

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1efrua75 said:
I remember RW taking a beating during the cards game and taking a worse
one last night. I trust John Gruden when he repeats over and over that RW is going to get hurt at this pace.

When has Gruden ever been right about anything!!!!...........oh wait

While I thought RW took hits yesterday and they pile up I don't recall seeing anything where I went - ouch that really hurt and risks significant injury. Like the one on the 49ers when they hit him after a RO play was way more brutal than anything I saw yesterday. not saying it doesn't add up and injury is a risk but I would be more concerned with full on speed hits.

Maybe I was to drunk when watching the game who knows

formido

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2y11iqzw said:
- Mr. Quick Fix Russell Wilson. after all the issues holding the ball last week against Arizona, he didn't fumble once last night even though he was a pin cushion. You have to love how he fixes issues. And he is one tough sucker. Think about what our record would probably be without him at the helm this season.

He didn't fix the issue because fumbling is not an issue that exists in isolation from everything else. Fumbling risk is balanced with all other risks and rewards involved in the real goal which is winning the game. In fact, our passing game was non-existent and, in my opinion, that almost certainly was partly because of shifting his awareness to not fumbling. He fumbled much more last week, but last week's performance was much better. This is why over-criticizing negative plays often leads to worse results as players overcompensate. Wilson managed risk against Arizona exceptionally well and Arizona has a much better defense than St. Louis and almost as good of a pass rush.

Football isn't a game to see who gets the least fumbles. But if we howl about fumbles, that's the stat that players will think more about at the expense of others. Wilson certainly looked last night like he was someone who had fumbling on his mind, and that's not necessarily a good thing. In fact, I saw someone on this forum call him out for crumpling in the pocket or some such. What did you expect would happen? You can't have it all behind this offensive line.