Need to Draft O-Line in Addition to D-Line

Ozzy

Reaction score
Agree ^^ I hope we get a Kick-ass Center with our second pick and another O-Lineman (Guard) later in the Draft too.
Getting tired of seeing our 'almost-good-enough' O-line being held back by 'almost good enough' play.
We need A LOT better Pass Protection & Road Graders to get our Run Game to the next level.
No doubt we should be going Defense with our #5 pick, and our second round should still have a couple hungry defenders wanting to prove themselves.
I want Van Pran center. He was a monster in college and instantly improves the interior of the line

keasley45

Reaction score
People seriously want to draft a center with a first round pick? That’s worse than spending a first pick on a RB or LB.
DL, DT, OT, CB, WR. Oh and QB. Those are first round positions.
Woolen, Brown, Bryant, Jackson. You want to reserve a 1st rd pick for a CB?

Ask the Ravens and T Linbaum how foolish drafting a center in the first round is. He's the 7th best center in the league this year. If we had the 7th best center this year we wouldn't have needed help to get into the playoffs.

Of the positions you listed, no way the Hawks draft a cb, wr and obviously not a OT in the 1st. But any pick at C or G or DT, DL for a blue chip player would seem to make sense.

Jville

Reaction score
Oh look our highest rated linemen was the guy way too many people keep banging the drum of moving him back to his "natural position." Lewis is by my estimation one of the best left guards in the game (can anyone who pays for PFF tell me his actual rank among left guards this season please). He finished with a better grade this season than he did at his "natural position." Can this showing put this concept to bed please? His pulling this season to the right made a huge difference in our run game. His consistent pass blocking with only three sacks allowed paid very good dividends in our playoff run.

That was an excellent example of how a speculation is seized upon and grown into a false narrative that in turn becomes a false fact for much of a team's fandom. Indeed, Lewis discounted the narrative .... saying switching sides was not a factor in his year one to year two play. Looking at his historic snaps, Damien went from 90.8% to 70.3% to 96.6%. He had shoulder and elbow injuries in 2021. His 2022 snap percentage is second only to 99.8% for Charles Cross.

To my eye, Damien Lewis looked more flexible and mobile during the 2022 season. A product, i would speculate, of an improved off season program via an upturn in speed and flexibility work.

Player development is a process. Twenty five year old Damien Lewis is making good progress. And even though he was drafted in the Solari era, I think the best yet to come in this ..... the Andy Dickerson era.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I know drafting an interior O lineman in the first round isn’t a sexy pick with most fans but it helps to have a competent center or a guard that can shorten necks. I mean if there’s another Steve Hutchinson in this draft I’d take him early

titan3131

Reaction score
Draft Will anderson as a project for 2 years @ 5.

Then Cneter Sedrick Van pran @ 20, then later in the draft Andrew Vorhees G from USC.

In the mix add Calijah Chancey and Sika Ika and we solved the trenches

nwHawk

Reaction score
3 illegal downfield penalties. Not one, not two. But three. Yikes.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Disagree. Fix the upfront push on defense and outside guys will finally eat.

Fix RG and offense has a chance to be really good.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
We need some maulers at Center and RG. Lewis looked a lot better this season and the rookie tackles will just get better hopefully. Interior lines on both side of the ball to get back to smash-mouth football.

Scout

Reaction score
Shore up the trenches if they want to compete with the big boys in the post season. Draft should be about OL/DL and some more LBs.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Interior O line might be where I’d draft at 5. Take Skoronski and put him at guard. Need to replace Blythe and Jackson

Last edited: