NFC West Week 4 Edition battle of the 1's

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":1sfjjj1h said:
Rams vs Cards this week. Winner ends up 9-7, loser goes 8-8.

I'm really looking forward to one of those teams having a 3rd season of double digit wins. Maybe then people won't think it's a fluke. Although it should be clear the team is decent by now.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":24hpsl6i said:
MizzouHawkGal":24hpsl6i said:
RedAlice":24hpsl6i said:
MizzouHawkGal":24hpsl6i said:
Arizona 4-0
Seattle 2-2
St. Louis 1-3
San Francisco 1-3

I'm nowhere near believing Arizona is anything more than the product of the embarrassingly bad teams masquerading as NFL franchises they've played so far. But the Rams only seem to think the Seahawks are worth the effort to actually get up for.

I know all of you are in love with thinking the Rams only play the Hawks tough. But, last year they had better games v other teams than either v Hawks.

They do play Hawks hard, but their best game last year was v Denver. Hawks win was not the best win last year.

I'm disappointed in how the Rams have played the last couple games, but I in no way consider Hawks to be the reason. Other than, they prepared very good for the first game.

Do you think the Rams will play better v any other team this year than they did v you if you believe they already won their Super Bowl? I'm curious to hear answers.
I thought I was crystal clear? The Rams are specifically built to beat the Seahawks but don't factor on San Francisco and Arizona are built differently and easily beat them because Fisher is just stupid and average. Let alone actually getting his team to play worth damn against anyone not in the NFCW. Lose against Washington? Typical Rams. And that goes all the way back to the Montana era.

Rams, always supremely talented and always supremely under acheiving. By the numbers the Rams should kill the Cardinals but it will never happen because....Rams.

BTW, Denver sucked last year and are the very definition of smoke and mirrors this year. Oakland is going to split with them this year and most likely injure Peyton. Unlike Kansas City they have balls and don't have an overpaid caretaker castoff from San Francisco at quarterback. Or a coach that finds new ways to lose prime time games like clockwork in every possible way imaginable or unimaginable.

Loved watching Reid having supremely talented teams that lost any game worth something against the Bears, Cowboys et al.

Not really, but trainwrecks are interesting to see in a morbidly awful way.

What numbers?
Like Kansas City you have the actual solution to beating a quarterback like Palmer easily but the Rams are too undisciplined and no where near the Seahawks physical talent level to not be disciplined. As usual.

Givens is a Raven now so I guess Quick better be all that and a box of crackers...except Foles has issues with dudes he's been actually playing with....I smell disappointment wafting over from the east. It smells nice. :)

Is it wrong that I'm getting so much joy watching the cats scrap in the alley over cold leftovers while the eagle (Hawks) is just starting to fly?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Potentially the easiest week of the year.

Packers over 49ers
Cardinals over Rams
Seahawks over Lions

Projected Standings after Week 4
Arizona 4-0
Seattle 2-2
St. Louis 1-3
San Francisco 1-3

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":y7ywsuzy said:
Like Kansas City you have the actual solution to beating a quarterback like Palmer easily but the Rams are too undisciplined and no where near the Seahawks physical talent level to not be disciplined. As usual.

On Quick, he's a Raven now. :mrgreen:

Is it wrong that I'm getting so much joy watching the cats scrap in the alley over cold leftovers while the eagle (Hawks) is just starting to fly?

Givens is the one who was traded to Baltimore, not Quick.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2x793050 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2x793050 said:

Yeah, hence my edit. Like I'm supposed to know who actually plays for the Rams? If I did that I'd have to admit St. Louis isn't actually in Illinois.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":1dazjojs said:
rideaducati":1dazjojs said:

I'm really looking forward to one of those teams having a 3rd season of double digit wins. Maybe then people won't think it's a fluke. Although it should be clear the team is decent by now.

Good luck with that. Last year was a fluke no matter what happens this year. The Cards don't beat many teams that finish the season above .500...unless the opponent is playing their backup QB. It just happens to happen a lot for the Cards. At least the Cards are taking advantage of bad teams and backup QBs.

Rex

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":tkhzuufu said:
Hasselbeck":tkhzuufu said:
MizzouHawkGal":tkhzuufu said:

Yeah, hence my edit. Like I'm supposed to know who actually plays for the Rams? If I did that I'd have to admit St. Louis isn't actually in Illinois.

And the big Kansas City actually isn't in Kansas. I prefer to call it by its original name......Possum Trot.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Big, big, game for the Rams and Cards today. A Ram victory puts them at 2-2, one game out, and 2-0 in the division. It's only week 4 but that's huge, especially going into GB next week. A Cards win puts them at a perfect 4-0 and putting the Rams in a very tough spot going forward, maybe even dashing their Playoff chances early. (I can only hope to beat Rogers next week.)

We know the Rams defense is stout, the only question mark is whether or not the offense can put up points. The Rams a couple things going for them that they really didn't, up to this point, on offense. Rams only have their best running back and wide receiver playing this week. Gurley had only nine touches last week, I expect that to hover around 15-18 this week. That's huge because Gurley commands a lot of attention.

Brian Quick numbers were some of the best of any WR early last year year. His impact was sorely missed after his injury. By all accounts Quick is 100% and ready to go. The Rams held him out in the first three games to get him into football shape and break some rust off. We'll see how much is still there today.

The kind of defense the Rams will play is off coverage, lots of disguised blitzes, and disguised coverages. Unlike Big Ben last week, Palmer is a sitting duck compared to him. The Cards will be looking to get the ball out really fast and will have a lot of success between the twenties, which is often the case with the Rams. The Rams are all about not giving up the long TD and anchoring in the Red Zone.

I do believe the Steelers have a better offense than the Cards, pre Burger injury, plus Burger is better than Palmer IMO. The Steelers have arguably the best WR and RB in the game, arguably, of occompanied with a solid OL. Rams held then to nine points through 3.5 quarters. That's really solid. Cards don't have Bell or Brown, but Ellington and Fitz are good. Palmer just doesn't scare me like Big Ben because Palmer doesn't handle the rush as well. Rams have a fighting chance, indeed.

I will make a bold prediction: If the Rams get Gurley and Mason going consistently, Rams will win this game. Rams OL is playing pretty well right now but is struggling against 6-8 players in the box on running downs. That's where I expect Quick to make a difference.

As for SEA, they have DET at home. Need I say more? Hawks are gonna win today.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
RedAlice":33viauek said:
btw, I am hosting a full family of my cousins...all rabid Arizona Card fans. Last year I went to the game with them in AZ and Rams lost. This year, they are here on vacation, so I am hosting them at a local sports bar.

They all think I should be a Cardinal fan. I think the Rams should win on Sunday. There's a slight divide in the family on when or how you started becoming a Cards fan, or stayed a Rams fan. These are my younger cousins, so they are all in on your team.

I understand that divide, except not with ARZ. My other side of the family love KC. They pull the same bologna with me on being a Chief fan. Just can't get into rooting for the red enemies lol.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":2zivxdjd said:
ringless":2zivxdjd said:
rideaducati":2zivxdjd said:

Good luck with that. Last year was a fluke no matter what happens this year. The Cards don't beat many teams that finish the season above .500...unless the opponent is playing their backup QB. It just happens to happen a lot for the Cards. At least the Cards are taking advantage of bad teams and backup QBs.

I addressed your backup statement and your flawed logic and double standard. Last year the Cardinals played 10 games with a backup QB, and played less teams with a backup QB than the Seahawks. So that makes the Seahawks season a fluke too using your very own logic. You guys played more games against a backup than we did. Not only did we play less than you we played games with a 4th string QB! We still won 11 games. One less than you despite the above. Think about that.

We have been winning consistently for 3 years now since Arians came in. Thats not a fluke but a pattern.

Rex

Reaction score
ringless":1ms84ddj said:
We have been winning consistently for 3 years now since Arians came in. Thats not a fluke but a pattern.

Well I hope the Rams cause a healthy dose of male pattern baldness on 'Ol Wobbly Jowls today from his pulling his own hair out! :0190l:

I can see him now grabbing off his headset with copious quantities of his own hair and slamming it on the sidelines. :th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":2yzj6wej said:
rideaducati":2yzj6wej said:
ringless":2yzj6wej said:
rideaducati":2yzj6wej said:

I addressed your backup statement and your flawed logic and double standard. Last year the Cardinals played 10 games with a backup QB, and played less teams with a backup QB than the Seahawks. So that makes the Seahawks season a fluke too using your very own logic. You guys played more games against a backup than we did. Not only did we play less than you we played games with a 4th string QB! We still won 11 games. One less than you despite the above. Think about that.

The cards have "consistently" lost to teams that finish the season with a winning record unless that opponent is playing their backup QB. They have been consistent in that. I agree that is a pattern.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
St Louis vs. Arizona: the Rams always play their division opponents tough and the Cardinals' 3-0 record has been inflated a bit by the weak opponents they have faced so far, but Arizona is the better team and should win this one at home. Cardinals 27, Rams 21.

Green Bay vs. San Francisco: this one will be a laugher. Packers 38, 49ers 13.

Lions vs. Seahawks: the Lions have plenty of offensive talent but have underachieved, and their defense is feeling the loss of too many key players. This will be another frustrating first half followed by another Seahawks win, Lynch or no Lynch. Seahawks 26, Lions 17.

hawk45

Reaction score
RedAlice":1b9wtcda said:
Love you Mizzou, but you kinda made my point.

Rams are not just built to beat the Seahawks. They do play you hard, but their best games last year were not against you. Last year, their best trick plays were v you. And that only accomplished one win.

And then this year you copied those trick plays.

Rams are sucking and underperforming, but: the game v Hawks was not their Superbowl and will not be their best game.

I'd argue that the Seahawks are a better team than Denver so a close win v the Hawks is still a better performance than any victory vs Denver.

In any case, I don't really care if they play their *best* game against the Seahawks, I care that they play *one of* their best and it's good enough to beat us. That puts sand in my vajayjay when they go out and just suck all kinds of suck against trash teams.

Then I comfort myself with the knowledge that they'll never do anything in the division with all that talent as Fisher isn't getting them up for the games they should win. Holmgren used to do that at times and it sucked.

Now if they get a coach in there who isn't overrated I'd be terrified. Like when the Niners got Harbaugh after 10 years of first round picks.

Cardinals...benefit from schedule but so what. Palmer being healthy could be the thing that makes them mathematically impossible to catch, leading to HFA and a deep run. Then they'll struggle the next year when they play a more difficult schedule but again, that's next year.

hawk45

Reaction score
ringless":d11wntqi said:

Kind of agree with this. Schedules or no, going better than .500 with a backup, much less the horror show of backups AZ has trotted out there, has to be considered significant.

And the Seahawks have good luck playing teams without QB1. This year vs. Clausen for instance.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Tavon having a MONSTER game!! Gurley playing great! So much fun, guys. Tell me you're not happy. C'mon Hawks fans. You know you didn't wanna see ARZ run away with the West.

Not over yet, though.

Barakas

Reaction score
ringless":1qhhbq2n said:
rideaducati":1qhhbq2n said:

and now? The cards face a team with a solid defense for the first time and lose at home. It will just reinforce the "paper tigers" point of view.

Latest posts