Nflpa alleges Lions, Carolina forced to play on unsafe field

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Last year on Christmas Eve, Carolina’s field failed the Clegg test. For a surface to pass this test, it must measure below 100g (units of gravities), and the meter for this test goes up to a maximum of 150g. When the field in Carolina was tested during the pregame check, it came back as — you guessed it — 150g.

Players reached out and told us the field was way too hard, describing it as concrete. Players reported that they couldn’t even wear cleats because they wouldn’t sink into the turf. When we reached out to the league, they told us they were aware of these concerns and were working to remedy them.

However, instead of delaying the game or finding another way to fix the issue, the league gave the green light to kick off the game as scheduled. Afterward, the league told us that late in the first half, the field finally did fall below the 100g max. But the fact remains that the players in that game had to play on a field that the league acknowledges was not safe. That is beyond frustrating to players and unacceptable in the eyes of our union.”

Threedee

Reaction score
The Carolina field has always looked unimpressive on TV. I'll just take this opportunity to bitch about FedEx Field: **** FedEx Field! I hope the next owner razes is to the ground and salts the earth, so that nothing may be constructed where it presently stands.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Multi BILLION dollar organization should never have a problem like this. It's beyond unacceptable, I view it as criminal. I'm honestly surprised there's not more players suing the league.

The Panthers had actually replaced the natural grass with artificial turf a year ago. You can play on grass with cleats no matter what the weather not so with the turf.