Niners averaged 9.9 yards per play against our D

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Our guys were out there battlin' like crazy. They were clawin' and scratchin' for every inch out there. We just couldn't get it done for whatever reason.

And that starts with me. I gotta do a better job of gettin' our guys prepared. *slight mumble* You know, we're gonna look at the tape and see some things. But we're right there. Right there. We had such a good week of practice.

themunn

Reaction score
I really don't think defense was the problem yesterday. In fact I thought they did a great job of getting the ball back into the offenses hands throughout the game, even if they did get burned a few times (like every other team that faces the Niners)

Sure the Niners had a couple of big big plays which tilt the average massively, but in reality they faced 11 drives (not including final clock-run drive), forced 5 punts, 2 turnovers, allowed 4 scores.

After our first drive TD our offense had 11 drives that went for:

3 yards (punt)
55 yards (FG)
6 yards (punt)
28 yards (punt)
3 yards (end of half - Lock with a boneheaded illegal forward pass killing the drive on the first play)
9 yards (punt)
16 yards (punt)
78 yards (Td)
0 yards (interception)
29 yards (punt)
27 yards (interception)

Somehow we averaged 6 yards per play (so a 1st down every 2nd play). So why is it that outside of 2 scoring drives we had 9 drives averaging just 13.4 yards.

Honestly I think we win yesterday if we have Cowboys Geno playing

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I really don't think defense was the problem yesterday. In fact I thought they did a great job of getting the ball back into the offenses hands throughout the game, even if they did get burned a few times (like every other team that faces the Niners)

Sure the Niners had a couple of big big plays which tilt the average massively, but in reality they faced 11 drives (not including final clock-run drive), forced 5 punts, 2 turnovers, allowed 4 scores.

After our first drive TD our offense had 11 drives that went for:

3 yards (punt)
55 yards (FG)
6 yards (punt)
28 yards (punt)
3 yards (end of half - Lock with a boneheaded illegal forward pass killing the drive on the first play)
9 yards (punt)
16 yards (punt)
78 yards (Td)
0 yards (interception)
29 yards (punt)
27 yards (interception)

Somehow we averaged 6 yards per play (so a 1st down every 2nd play). So why is it that outside of 2 scoring drives we had 9 drives averaging just 13.4 yards.

Honestly I think we win yesterday if we have Cowboys Geno playing
I thought Lock did pretty good. Couple of brain farts - but overall - pretty good.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It was skewed by a couple of huge plays. We only had two less first downs than they did, so the story that stat tells is that our defense for the most part played well but got hurt badly by a handful of big plays.
20, 23, 25, 25, 27, 30, 44, 45, and 54 yards. That's not a couple huge plays. That's a huge play every 6th play.

themunn

Reaction score
20, 23, 25, 25, 27, 30, 44, 45, and 54 yards. That's not a couple huge plays. That's a huge play every 6th play.

Same number of big plays, only 220 yards vs 293 but if "big play percentage" is what you're looking at, not much between it.

The problem for us is that there wasn't much going except for those big plays. 220 yards from 9 plays, 119 yards from the other 46 (less if you net off sack yardage really)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

Same number of big plays, only 220 yards vs 293 but if "big play percentage" is what you're looking at, not much between it.

The problem for us is that there wasn't much going except for those big plays. 220 yards from 9 plays, 119 yards from the other 46 (less if you net off sack yardage really)
They still averaged over 5 yards per play when we remove the huge plays. My original point is the defense sucked, even if you removed the huge plays.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The difference is they could run and the Hawks CONTINUE to have ZERO CHANCE at running the ball.

Run first team my ###.

Fade

Reaction score
It was skewed by a couple of huge plays. We only had two less first downs than they did, so the story that stat tells is that our defense for the most part played well but got hurt badly by a handful of big plays.

Now is not the time to damage control, but to put their feet to the fire. They are one of the 5 worst defenses in football. AGAIN.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Now is not the time to damage control, but to put their feet to the fire. They are one of the 5 worst defenses in football. AGAIN.
I wasn't attempting "damage control." I was simply noting a fact, that the yards per play stat was heavily skewed by a handful of huge chunk plays.

Unfortunately, we are one of the 5 worst defenses in the league, at least in terms of total yards.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Both sides are compelling IMHO.

I do think the roster is underachieving.
I think it starts at coaching.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
Watching the run from the first play. I thought if I had joined a few minutes late, I might have thought it was a kick off return and a player making a feeble attempt at tackling was the kicker.

renofox

Reaction score
Watching the run from the first play. I thought if I had joined a few minutes late, I might have thought it was a kick off return and a player making a feeble attempt at tackling was the kicker.
Imagine my surprise when I tuned on a couple minutes late and the 49ers had 7 points with over 14:00 on the clock.

I knew it wasn't a.return TD because there was too much time off the clock.

When I finally saw the clip, I almost 🤮.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Even when the Hawks were up 10-7, it felt like the Niners were a housecat playing with its food. I never had any doubt that they'd pull away as the game progressed.

Fade

Reaction score
It gets worse. When you factor out the kneel downs at the end of the game. The Seahawks surrendered over 10 yards per play.