Niners catching flak for pick

Hawknight

Reaction score
Living in the Bay Area, lots of confusion on local news as to why the Niners picked a receiver who could have been available 2nd round plus having more urgent other needs Love it!

Scout

Reaction score
Pearsall is very good and may make the 49ers offense even more lethal.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Aiyuk is pretty much gone. We all know he’s on the trading block. If I’m a non Niners team that is willing to trade for Aiyuk, I’m not trading more than a fourth round. Aiyuk is also needing a contract. And SF needs to move Aiyuk. It’s already known. Pearsall could have been drafted later if the Niners were able to trade down but I guess they chose not too it could not find a trade partner….

94Smith

Reaction score
Aiyuk is pretty much gone. We all know he’s on the trading block. If I’m a non Niners team that is willing to trade for Aiyuk, I’m not trading more than a fourth round. Aiyuk is also needing a contract. And SF needs to move Aiyuk. It’s already known. Pearsall could have been drafted later if the Niners were able to trade down but I guess they chose not too it could not find a trade partner….
I will bet you he is not traded. If they were going to trade him they would have traded him by now. Aiyuk fits in better with what Purdy does than Deebo . The Pearsall pick is more of a replacement for what Ray Ray McCloud was. A slot receiver with punt return potential. I think if they move off one of the receivers it will be in 2025. We'll see I guess

94Smith

Reaction score
I think the knock on the pick is that he was graded a mid second rounder, but if he works out, who cares? Deebo was a second rounder.... (so was Dante Pettis :unsure: 🤮 )

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think the logic here is that he can be there slot guy which they didn't have anyone significant. It was already hard enough to stop Kittle, their 2 receivers and CMC. Now they'll have another dynamic.

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe not the highest ceiling, but nobody should be giving them flak. He could be their Lockett.

chrispy

Reaction score
They have 11 picks I think. Trading back loses value at some point if it results in 1 more player you cut at the end of camp...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It’s hard to criticize Niner player selection. Outside of the biggest screw up in draft history, offset by arguably one of the greatest late round picks in history, their player acquisition has been as close to flawless as it gets.

They don’t need super stars, or the kind of impact players that most other teams do. They don’t need BPA types.

They don’t need superstars to fill holes, they need role players to add small wrinkles to their game.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
It’s hard to criticize Niner player selection. Outside of the biggest screw up in draft history, offset by arguably one of the greatest late round picks in history, their player acquisition has been as close to flawless as it gets.

They don’t need super stars, or the kind of impact players that most other teams do. They don’t need BPA types.

They don’t need superstars to fill holes, they need role players to add small wrinkles to their game.
Rams as well. Cards with big draft. We shall see.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I think people see Pearsall as a white WR and immediately go to "limited athletically". Dude is crazy athletic. 4.41 40, 42 inch vert. Great route runner, great hands. He's just not real big in terms of weight. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Marvin Harrison Sr (just body type...not a prediction). So leads you to wonder why people say he's limited.

RE "he was supposed to be mid second" stuff...eh...I don't really buy into that. At some point in the draft everyone has a very similar grade so guys picked 20ish-50ish aren't all that different. At that point its just preference. Is it possible they could have moved down a bit and gotten him? Sure...but he wouldn't have been there at 64 which is where their next pick was.

My only issue with the pick was that I thought CB and RT were bigger needs. Well the premier Tackles were gone. I liked DeJean or McKinstry, but I'm happy that the next 2 picks were CB and OL.

My fave pick is 4th round safety Malik Mustapha.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Agreed.

One thing I found interesting....

49ers have really lived in the later rounds of the draft. Easy to be critical of their 1st rounders, but late in draft they've been fantastic. Seahawks were like that as well in the Legion of Boom days.

Lynch said that NIL has changed things. Alot of the players they had their eyes on went back to school. As such they didn't see this draft as deep and you can see it in their moves. Through a few trades they made all but 2 of their picks in the top 4 rounds, 3 in the 4th alone. They traded down their 2 to turn a 6 into a 5 and then traded both 5s to get a mid 4.

Also...all their picks were at LEAST 4th year seniors, mostly 5th year and one 6th (COVID year and redshirt).

Still not happy with OL. Made a few interesting interior line pickups as UDFAs, but they need help at Tackle. RT to me is their biggest weakness and Trent isn't getting any younger at LT. I like 3rd rounder Puni, but if anything he's more an answer at RG (which is where they may have lost SB with missed block in OT) than at RT.

Scout

Reaction score
Honestly, I think people see Pearsall as a white WR and immediately go to "limited athletically". Dude is crazy athletic. 4.41 40, 42 inch vert. Great route runner, great hands. He's just not real big in terms of weight. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Marvin Harrison Sr (just body type...not a prediction). So leads you to wonder why people say he's limited.

RE "he was supposed to be mid second" stuff...eh...I don't really buy into that. At some point in the draft everyone has a very similar grade so guys picked 20ish-50ish aren't all that different. At that point its just preference. Is it possible they could have moved down a bit and gotten him? Sure...but he wouldn't have been there at 64 which is where their next pick was.

My only issue with the pick was that I thought CB and RT were bigger needs. Well the premier Tackles were gone. I liked DeJean or McKinstry, but I'm happy that the next 2 picks were CB and OL.

My fave pick is 4th round safety Malik Mustapha.
Lynch knew what was he was doing by lurking and jumping at the chance to draft Mustapha. Easily one of the best values in the 4th round.