NO 3-4 Defense

Chawker

Reaction score
If Hurtt is going to a 3-4 defense, forget about stopping the run. We're a 4-3 defense !!!

For the love of god, NO.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Seahawks have been running 3-4 adjacent stuff for years.

The 4-3 under is incredibly similar to a 3-4 front, and the base bear front shares a lot more with a 3-4 front than a 4-3.

This isn't the change you think it is. It's not a big shift.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 3-3, I don't care what they use for a base defense. As long as it produces postive results. I'll let those more experienced than me and are getting paid to run the defense figure that out. I will say this the 4-3 defense they had been running the past few years hasn't gotten the same results as before.

Per wikipedia 17 teams run a 4-3 base scheme. Under Donatell, the rumor is the Vikes are moving to 3-4. The Bucs under Bowles are running a 3-4. So there are teams that use each scheme effectively.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Every 3-4 defense will be weak against the run,always has, always will. To tighten things up against the run you run the 4-3 stack.

I guess giving up more on first and second downs doesn't make scince to me but it could help on third downs. :34853_doh:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Chawker":2fqb81xt said:
Every 3-4 defense will be weak against the run,always has, always will. To tighten things up against the run you run the 4-3 stack.

I guess giving up more on first and second downs doesn't make scince to me but it could help on third downs. :34853_doh:

Statistically the Ravens had the best run defense in 2021 (per total yards). Guess what base defense they ran? 3-4 D

Team Stats run defense - https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2021/reg/all

Ravens depth chart - https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/bal

Titans #2 best run defense. Care to guess which base defense they ran?

The Bucs were #3. They also ran a base 3-4 D.

So the top 3 three run defenses stats wise ran a base 3-4 D.

Fade

Reaction score
Not all 34's are a like. Who is 1 gapping vs. 2 gapping?

How is it marrying with the backend? And about a dozen more questions I would have.

I prefer 43 under, 1-gapping, play with your hair on fire myself, but can't critque this scheme until I see what it is doing in total.

Having a look at what it looked like with Chicago when Fangio was there. It shutdown the at the time unstoppable McVay Rams, and they were the first ones to put out the blueprint which NE copied and won the Superbowl with in 2018.

Fangio defenses are very much a have your cake and eat it too. They want to stop the run and dominate upfront with just 7. And keep their safeties high so you can't beat them with the pass either. Counter to old Seattle who loved to play Kam down in an 8-man box where everyone was generally 1 gapping.

Fangio over the years always had top flight D-Line talent to make the thing work. Seattle, I would think would be looking to really upgrade along the D-Line, or I don't see how they are going to be able to run this defense effectively at all without a significant upgrade at 3-Tech and another stand up Edge guy. Dunlap & Alton Robinson are Trad. 43 guys, so they have to alter things for them or trade those guys.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I just can't help but think of all those terrible NE and PITT defenses over the years.

Atradees

Reaction score
Players make the scheme work. Have to reinvest our dollars into lineman on both sides and I dont see that happening yet. SOS.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Why are we talking about New Orleans (NO) running a 3-4 defense?! This is a Seahawks message board! Not a Saints board...oh wait. In my best Gilda Radner voice............... "Nevermind".

Just a little something for the older folks here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

sdog1981

Reaction score
Chawker":v9jshfae said:
Every 3-4 defense will be weak against the run,always has, always will.

20 years ago the 2002 Steelers had to top run D with a 34.

The 80s Giants and 49ers ran 34.

The growing pains happen when teams switch from 34 to 43. Most of the time the team will not have the right types of D-linemen.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
sdog1981":15enwfox said:
Chawker":15enwfox said:
Every 3-4 defense will be weak against the run,always has, always will.

20 years ago the 2002 Steelers had to top run D with a 34.

The 80s Giants and 49ers ran 34.

The growing pains happen when teams switch from 34 to 43. Most of the time the team will not have the right types of D-linemen.

Luckily for Seattle, this time it isn't really a switch.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Chawker":qr1lpzcm said:
If Hurtt is going to a 3-4 defense, forget about stopping the run. We're a 4-3 defense !!!

For the love of god, NO.....!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last time I checked Seattle’s defense has been struggling.

Any change on defense in attempts to improve is welcomed if you ask me.

But the OP must really like a 4-3 defense.

4-3 or 3-4, all teams at some point will play a version of both.

If Carroll is truly letting Hurtt run the show on defense, this will be interesting to see how it’ll play out.

I’m excited!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Also let's not get into the fact that teams are in their base defense about 40% of the time.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, smooth 😎 transition.
They may suck ass, but that doesn't negate the fact that it still wasn't really a seismic change in scheme

They were running a bear front as base in 2020/2021 and still run 4 man fronts often in nickel

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
It’s a 46 Bear in disguise with poor play from Barton, Ford and Diggs. Even Harris