Now that the offseason and free agency has moved along.....

seabowl

Reaction score
I don't get it. They lost some good players in Shaq, Jarran, etc and picked up a couple of good players in the new guard apaer Hyder but on paper i do not see much of any improvement. Resigning your own players does not constitute as an improvement as they already were on the team last year.

Only way we get better is coaching philosophy, that's it.

My vote is no net change.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
seabowl":18efefd2 said:
I don't get it. They lost some good players in Shaq, Jarran, etc and picked up a couple of good players in the new guard apaer Hyder but on paper i do not see much of any improvement. Resigning your own players does not constitute as an improvement as they already were on the team last year.

Can't believe I forgot about Hyder in my OP, he's one of the main reasons I'm happy.

Couple of things, this team was 12-4 and won the toughest division in football last year. We do not need to move mountains to be better.

I do disagree that signing back your guys shouldn't could. I'm not asking about this team vs last years, I'm asking about how the totality of FA played out.

I personally like Swain as a WR3 - but I guarantee you JS/PC are going to be heavily active in the UDFA WR market. We've had great success there in the past. No reason to not try and dip our toes back in that water.

Losing Jarran hurts, but Mike Garafalo said on NFL network that Reed lost Millions of dollars in the end. Seattle went to him, wanting to restructure basically moving money to bonus. Reed declined saying he wanted ANOTHER extension (we just extended him last year)_ We declined, and ultimately dropped him to get the cap relief we were looking for. Dumb move on his part.

ducks41468

Reaction score
They did about as well as they could have under the constraints they had to operate with. That being said, this is still a 10-6/11-5 team that gets eliminated in the first round. Waldron and our offensive philosophy will be the deciding factor IMO.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
ducks41468":6ac398we said:
They did about as well as they could have under the constraints they had to operate with. That being said, this is still a 10-6/11-5 team that gets eliminated in the first round. Waldron and our offensive philosophy will be the deciding factor IMO.

Little early for such proclamations isn't it?

I mean look at how chaotic last year was and we still won the toughest division in football with 12 wins.

I mean we had the no pace WORST defense in history the first half of the year. Then the second half of the year our offense was complete garbage.

If we can just find a nice comfortable middle ground. I like our chances again.

Jville

Reaction score
Every team of every year is unique as is this off season with it's free agency. A unique story is written every year.

Free agency during this off season isn't over. John Schneider isn't done yet. There is more to come as the new roster continues to take shape.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
seabowl":11ayxise said:

Resigning your own players is an improvement if the alternative (and it is) is to lose them.

Is this team better with Carson and Dunlap or without them?

Jville

Reaction score
For me, Mono e Mono comparisons aren't very useful. I see the changes in both scheme and personnel from year to year and game to game. The defense made a big scheme change and supporting personnel in going from a 4-3 dominate front in 2019 to more in the way of a 4-2 dominate front in 2020. Different emphasis require changes in personnel. By mid 2020, player communication came together and the defense finished on a good note. Making adjustments will continue as this new defense evolves with it's changes in personnel and tendencies.

In 2021, fans of the offense should expect similar changes made possible by a personnel change here and there. The Shane Waldron era is on it way!

I don't understand what it is that is so difficult to follow along from season to season and from year to year. But I do understand why Seahawk opponents for 2021 are following along and making changes to how they are going to compete.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The optimists and the pessimists are clearly defined here by their views.

I am one of former, and think given where the team started FA they have done well so far. The picture is incomplete and the consensus is they are still a way away from being done. I still want to see an experienced CB added and eventually a #3 WR, C, and developmental OT added. It's actually still early and the team building involves many phases the early part of the marathon has gone passably well.

It is clear that the OLine will still be a focus and depth at C and developmental LT are long term needs, and this draft will allow the potential of the addition of a player or two. We'll see.

I say so far so good, the players returned and added will allow the team to remain a competitive team in a tough division.

Own The West

Reaction score
Jville":19v22uz6 said:
For me, Mono e Mono comparisons aren't very useful.
Since mono means monkey (as opposed to mano = hand) I think it's very useful on this board. :lol:

Overall I'm pleased with our free agency. We've made good cap cuts and broke the cycle of competition without a clear winner on both our lines.

Of secondary importance, I think we're still ahead in the compensation pick game:
Up: Witherspoon, Hyder, and Everett
Down: Griffin, Moore, Hollister, Dunbar, Bullard, Hyde

Since Jackson was a trade, we should have 1 or 2 picks coming next year. Correct?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We look a lot better than expected.

Without Carson and Dunlap we would have been at the bottom of the NFC West.

With those back, and then Hyder and some of the other FAs - we should be #2 or #3 which is better than you could expect.

And with the 49ers deciding they may or may not have a QB, they probably drop to #2 or #3 as well...so we will likely have to fight it out with them to decide who gets the higher slot.

With the weaker schedule now and the lower bar to making the playoffs - we probably have a 70-80% chance of getting a playoff slot. That is much better than it looked. Without Carson and Dunlap, we probably miss the playoffs entirely.

Could be much worse.