One evaluation of our rookie class by pff

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-productive-2020-rookie-draft-classes

18. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Why they're ranked here: Damien Lewis, Seattle's third-round selection, still has a lot of room to grow, but he ended up as one of the 15 most valuable guards in the NFL this year. However, the rest of the Seahawks' rookie class enjoyed far less success. Second-round pick Darrell Taylor (defensive end) didn't play a down this season for Seattle, and first-round pick Jordyn Brooks (linebacker) hardly generated positive WAR on the year.

How their top pick fared: Brooks was fairly productive on his limited 367 regular-season snaps, making 21 defensive stops. He also missed just five tackles on 58 attempts. At the same time, though, Brooks' coverage performance was pretty ugly. He earned a 29.8 grade in that facet, the second-worst mark at the position.

Best value pick: Lewis didn't perform up to snuff when it came to pass protection. His 48.4 pass-blocking grade tied for 71st among 83 qualifiers this season. Yet, his run blocking was some of the best we saw at the position in 2020. His 81.5 mark came in at No. 6 among all guards, and even in the lone game where he played center — a position at which he had no experience — he provided stout run blocking. But if Lewis wants to take that next step to become a quality starting guard, he has to improve in pass protection.

ROUND/PICK NAME POS COLLEGE
1/27 Jordyn Brooks ILB Texas Tech
2/48 Darrell Taylor DE Tennessee
3/69 Damien Lewis G LSU
4/133 Colby Parkinson TE Stanford
4/144 DeeJay Dallas RB Miami
5/148 Alton Robinson DE Syracuse
6/214 Freddie Swain WR Florida
7/251 Stephen Sullivan TE LSU

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Swain made some big plays for us this year, did some good stuff. He's a keeper. Same for Robinson. Brooks should keep getting better. He's earned a spot. Lewis a definite keeper. I just like DJ Dallas.
Taylor we don't know yet. Of the guys we drafted he would have been my top pick. The rest still have to prove it, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with our draft class last year.
Not expecting a lot this year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on Brooks. He was good at setting the edge, but I noticed quite a few lapses in coverage from him like PFF mentioned. He looked like a two down player thus far. I hope he gets better at coverage, we're going to need him to replace K.J Wright. His coverage is REALLY bad if you honed in on him.

Rat

Reaction score
That's fair after one season: one bonafide stud, one solid starter (Brooks), and the rest is relatively unknown so far. Hopefully Taylor has a short learning curve, and Robinson looked promising. Parkinson should get a real chance next year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Once again a site evaluates without understanding how Pete works, most our draft picks are always given a red shirt year and play sparingly or not at all, get in the rotation to gain some wake up experience.

Lewis was thrown in the mix and performed well and still is going to grow, now new system may retard the progress or enhance it depending on what is asked.

Brooks was suppose to get rotation experience and also was injured a part of the year, Dallas probably was given more time then Pete wanted, again due to injuries.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":2f18c35t said:
Once again a site evaluates without understanding how Pete works, most our draft picks are always given a red shirt year and play sparingly or not at all, get in the rotation to gain some wake up experience.

Why does that matter if the rankings are by "most productive"?

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":16f0xlef said:
chris98251":16f0xlef said:

Without painting a picture, Pete tends to hold guys back to acclimate to the NFL, get system experience and then get a NFL body thru the season and first off season.

They can't produce if they are Red shirted now can they......

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":n6hvgnfz said:
Rat":n6hvgnfz said:
chris98251":n6hvgnfz said:

Without painting a picture, Pete tends to hold guys back to acclimate to the NFL, get system experience and then get a NFL body thru the season and first off season.

They can't produce if they are Red shirted now can they......

Thats a nice way of putting it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Probably JS best draft in awhile TBH. Lewis looks like the first excellent OL pick since...Okung? Taylor has the profile to be a prototype LEO (if healthy and makes the transition to NFL obviously), Swain showed flashes, Brooks was coming on strong to end the year.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":kgzdvdoe said:
I have mixed feelings on Brooks. He was good at setting the edge, but I noticed quite a few lapses in coverage from him like PFF mentioned. He looked like a two down player thus far. I hope he gets better at coverage, we're going to need him to replace K.J Wright. His coverage is REALLY bad if you honed in on him.

He does not set an edge. He is an off the line of scrimmage lb and tackler. Mlb just like Wagner. He is meant to play wagner style at weak side. That's the player he is. Not on edge strong side. His tackling skills show his ability. Not holding up blockers on outside plays. He could improve in coverage.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3qstglcs said:
I saw Brooks make huge strides throughout the season. This is important because he was never called on the play coverage in college. So it is very new to him. If he continues to improve like this year, he will be fine in coverage.

AgentDib

Reaction score
For reference, the Seahawks entered the 2019 draft with the 22nd highest draft capital and so being ranked 18th in productivity is a positive step. Given that Taylor missed the entire season it speaks well to how the rest of the class contributed in their first year.