Overall feelings about our draft?

metwelve

Reaction score
Loved the 1st (MurphyII) and 3rd (Haynes) round picks. For me the wheels fell off in the 4th. Grabbing G Mason McCormick & C Sedrick Pran-Granger, would have really bolstered the O-Line depth. We waited until the 6th rd. and ended up with 2 projects. Disappointed. Grade C

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This in and of itself in its most basic process the very type of draft Pete Carroll talks but never walks.
I don't think this is a great point. 3/4 of our first picks in 2022 were trench picks. Our second and third rounder each in 2020. 8 of our top picks under Carroll were trench players or edge rushers. That's over half.

We spent more draft capital than any other team on the OL for much of the Cable years.

It's John's draft, really. It's been his draft the entire time, for the most part.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Murphy = A+
Both a needed addition and the best player at his position

Haynes = A
Fills a need, and got him at a better value than what was projected

Knight = B
Fills a need, but isn't the best in coverage. Personally, I would've stayed put & chose Grey.

Barner = A
Filled a need, is a great fit for Seattle.

Pritchett = C+
Didn't fill a big need. Isn't the best tackler. I think this pick could've been better spent on Lockett's future replacement, or an Edge.

Laumea = B+
Even with Haynes, Seattle still needed another guard/tackle prospect. Good player at a good value, can play RT in case Lucas isn't available.

James = B-

Better player than Pritchett, IMO. Which is why I have a higher grade on him. But still not a big need, especially after taking a CB with a previous pick.

Jerrell = D
Comes from a small school, not much tape on him. There were better guards like Christian Mahogany or Javion Cohen available.

Overall grade = B

Scout

Reaction score
I mean...... seriously, do you expect more than developmental players late in the draft? They're going late for a reason.
True but I think maybe Mac sees some of the DBs he drafted as more than developmental players. Mac does like to do a lot rotation on the defensive backfield.

Scout

Reaction score
They got guys that are all dogs either adding in the run game or run defense.

And then two Auburn CBs with tremendous speed that makes you feel Witherspoon is getting prepared to take on a Kyle Hamiltonesque role basically giving you a hybrid CB/NCB/S.

This in and of itself in its most basic process the very type of draft Pete Carroll talks but never walks.

Macdonald/Schneider built a wall like they said they were going to.
Yeah I think that Spoon is going to be Mac's joker on the backend where he is moved around.

Rat

Reaction score
I still want a kicker. Getting Harrison Mevis as a UDFA would be incredible.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm riding the waves of many. The first two picks seem rock solid. After that? I have no clue. Time will most certainly tell.

BigMeach

Reaction score
This draft was an absolute crapshoot after the first round or two. You could tell when player after play being taken noone had them in those spots. When that is the case I just gotta trust the front office to do their job well.

I'm hopeful.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't think this is a great point. 3/4 of our first picks in 2022 were trench picks. Our second and third rounder each in 2020. 8 of our top picks under Carroll were trench players or edge rushers. That's over half.

We spent more draft capital than any other team on the OL for much of the Cable years.

It's John's draft, really. It's been his draft the entire time, for the most part.

Ok let me clarify… based off of Carroll’s comments after 2022 this was basically the type of draft I felt they were going to go for last year.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
No clue.stopped watching after our puck in rd 1. Glad we didn't draft a qb...Wasn't into it this year. Hopefully we get a couple starters out of it.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
They got guys that are all dogs either adding in the run game or run defense.

And then two Auburn CBs with tremendous speed that makes you feel Witherspoon is getting prepared to take on a Kyle Hamiltonesque role basically giving you a hybrid CB/NCB/S.

Macdonald/Schneider built a wall like they said they were going to.
I agree. I thought it was a bit odd that they selected two CBs and no Safeties. For the most part, I'm fine with our CBs (especially our starters Riq and Devon) but thought we could use more depth at Safety. However, if the plan is for Witherspoon to be the Seahawk's version of Kyle Hamilton, then drafting two CBs makes more sense.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The corners are the only picks that surprise me. Other than that, all the other picks seem to match up with what was considered needs going into the draft. As mentioned above I am glad we didn't give away a 6h or 7th next year to get back into the last round like I recall happening in the past.

Going back to the corners, was there something with our current lineup of corners that the new staff did not like?

Scout

Reaction score
The corners are the only picks that surprise me. Other than that, all the other picks seem to match up with what was considered needs going into the draft. As mentioned above I am glad we didn't give away a 6h or 7th next year to get back into the last round like I recall happening in the past.

Going back to the corners, was there something with our current lineup of corners that the new staff did not like?

As someone else mentioned Spoon is going to be moved around and a lot of CBs are not under contract next year. But I think you are right there is more to this than those simple explanations.

Hawks brought in two veteran free agent safeties and Spoon will be the nickel, boundary, high safety depending on down and distance. So yeah it seems that Mac saw a big need to find some nickel and dime DB that can play in zone but also have the length to play on the boundary.

I will say that the DB competition will be stiff for sure.

Mizak

Reaction score
Drafting 2 CBs when you have Tariq, Witherspoon, Michael Jackson, Tre Brown, Artie Burns. Unless the 2 CBs Seahawks drafted was a warning to Tariq to clean up his shit fast.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
With the caveat that I don't watch college ball, I thought this was a good draft and like the philosophy behind it.

First and third round, we drafted guys who were not projected to be available. We got top 15 talent at 16 and 2nd round talent in the third and both at positions of need.

After the 3rd round, I don't see the point in getting wrapped around the axle over who we grabbed outside of whether Macdonald and Grubb feel like they might work in our system. These guys lasted to day 3 for a reason. Yes, some of the day 3 guys will become future stars, but that will be influenced a ton by where they land so if our FO likes this LB or G over that LB or G, that fact alone probably makes them a better pick.

I also am happy with the focus on the OL on day 3, especially since that was our weakness as on offense last year and seems to have been the key to Grubb's offense at UW.

Additionally, the pre-draft move to grab Howell looks even better post draft. We had virtually no shot at the top 6 guys who all flew off the shelf and I don't think any of who was left has more upside than Sam, so turned out to be a pretty shrewd move considering it cost us zero picks.

So, overall, pretty happy here.

NoGain

Reaction score
The one criticism I heard about today's picks that *seemed* fair was that there was no pick that was real exciting, no player that had some physical trait or skill that stood out in such a way that you were excited about seeing them in action, that gave you the feeling they might have a high ceiling.

But again, I really don't know. They might have made selections (at least on defense) based upon what MacDonald envisioned doing with them. He's supposedly real talented at putting guys in the right position to succeed on defense.

Wait and see, wait and see, wait and see...

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Rice is very pedestrian in the film I watched. No separation. Average hands. He played with the 1.01 and there is a reason he didn’t get the ball much. Rice is a dime a dozen imo.
Agreed. And I'm grateful we won't have to endure his egomaniacal, jersey stealing dad hanging around preaching to Grubb on how to run an offense.