Painful Band Aid

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Russel Wilson can be released in 2023 post June 1st with a dead cap hit of $39 million in 2023 and $68 million in 2024

Would you bite the bullet and rip off the band aid instead of waiting for 4 years and let the contract run it’s course. From what has been reported Wilson is the problem/cancer. Keeping Wilson could keep you from getting the coach and free agent players you need to compete

James in PA

Reaction score
I would. If I were the advising Denver ownership, Id tell them that this is probably not what they want to hear but it's best to take our lumps now and move on from RW3. This player is cooked and not good for our culture and no amount of great coaching is going to bring him back to a consistently good QB again.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Whether that would be by trade or he would be cut, courtesy of OverTheCap):
YearDead money (Cut)Dead money (Trade)
2023$107 million$82 million
2024$85 million$68 million
2025$49.6 million$49.6 million
2026$31.2 million$31.2 million
2027$12.8 million$12.8 million
2028$4.4 million$4.4 million

They won’t find anyone to trade with for 107m. They would have to cut their kicker, Jeudy and half the defense to move on.

Coaches should not consider taking the job if ownership insists on playoff Wilson. He won’t be that because he CANT anymore. It’d be as if you were stuck with Matt Ryan as the immovable piece.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score

Whether that would be by trade or he would be cut, the consequences for the Broncos could be astronomical in the coming years (all values pre-June 1, courtesy of OverTheCap):
YearDead money (Cut)Dead money (Trade)
2023$107 million$82 million
2024$85 million$68 million
2025$49.6 million$49.6 million
2026$31.2 million$31.2 million
2027$12.8 million$12.8 million
2028$4.4 million$4.4 million
Now you can spread the dead money between 2 years..Nobody is trading for that contract
forget that part.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Beg Goodell to allow trading with the USFL and XFL. Carry most of his contract in exchange for a couple of those stripper cheerleaders if they're still around.

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I used to be in the camp of keeping Wilson for the 4 some odd years and get a coach who could make a difference than I saw a recent interview with Mark Schlereth who is a former Bronco’s player and is close to the team and he was stating it’s much worse than what is being reported in the media went to Over The Cap and tried to come up with the least painful situation. It will be a tough sell to the fan base that the team be the Chicago Bears for at least 2 seasons

schkoot

Reaction score
I'm hopelessly naive about how NFL contracts work and rules about this stuff, *but* I am extremely vindictive to people I don't like.

I would keep his contract at the current rate, let him keep his office, etc. But I would move him to the practice squad and let him wallow until he retired.

Rainger

Reaction score
Russel Wilson can be released in 2023 post June 1st with a dead cap hit of $39 million in 2023 and $68 million in 2024

Would you bite the bullet and rip off the band aid instead of waiting for 4 years and let the contract run it’s course. From what has been reported Wilson is the problem/cancer. Keeping Wilson could keep you from getting the coach and free agent players you need to compete
Not my problem because i am a Hawk fan and not a Bronco one, however IF I was the GM of Denver I would do everything in my power to get rid of RW regardless of the cost.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm hopelessly naive about how NFL contracts work and rules about this stuff, *but* I am extremely vindictive to people I don't like.

I would keep his contract at the current rate, let him keep his office, etc. But I would move him to the practice squad and let him wallow until he retired.

I understand the sentiment, but I’d go about it differently.

Russ cant Beat his backup Rypien, who’s just barely over practice squad level himself. Fa qbs will abound next year, and That’s who Russ should have his locker next to. The office and entourage need to be banned, and he needs to be recognized as likely the nfls most expensive backup.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Denver needs a no bull$hit coach. RW is going to try to insert himself into the hiring, I would stop that in its tracks. I would tell him we'll do the hiring and you just go do your job by being the high priced QB we paid for. And if you don't like that or you can't handle it, you'll be the next one getting axed.

RW thinks his shit don't stink. I always thought the guy was fake, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Now we hear from former Hawks that is the case. Now that hes in Denver and married to Ciarra it seems to be worse and Denver locker room aint having it.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
He is too full of himself. He thinks he is "Mr. Hollywood" ever since he hooked up with that famous singer. He let it all go to his head. He thinks he is better than everyone else, including all of his team mates. Marshawn Lynch couldn't even call him directly on the telephone if he wanted to. He would have to go through Wilsons's representatives to get a hold of him. I mean excuse me, you're not Broadway Joe Namath pal.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
They should trade him to Arizona for their petulant QB.
Money is about the same and both teams need new coaches. Another fresh start and facing familiar rivals might provide one last “ride”.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if they put him on the practice squad another team can poach him and be forced to pay him and or cut him, not sure how that would all work and who would be responsible.

Wonder how Mr. Eliminated would handle that.

OP
OP
Hawkinaz

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Well if they put him on the practice squad another team can poach him and be forced to pay him and or cut him, not sure how that would all work and who would be responsible.

Wonder how Mr. Eliminated would handle that.
If a team “poached” Wilson off of Denver’s practice squad they would need to assume his contract that isn’t happening

chris98251

Reaction score
If a team “poached” Wilson off of Denver’s practice squad they would need to assume his contract that isn’t happening
The League proves to us that GM's and teams do really dumb stuff every day, some team needing a QB may think, we can fix him or have the tools for him to succeed. It could happen.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Shame him enough by benching or putting him the practice squad and maybe he'll renegotiate his contract for a release that benefits both sides?
This. The GM needs to get with the new owners and get their backing. Then, during the hiring process, the GM/owners need to tell all of the HC candidates that the decision to start ME3 is completely up to the coach. If Russ can't win the job, then bench him with absolutely no repercussions. If Russ doesn't get with the program and run the plays called by the coaches, then bench him. The worst that can happen is that you have to pay a guy huge $$ to be a backup. You're going to pay him if you cut him anyway. Maybe, if you're really lucky, Russ decides that being a backup isn't very good for his "legacy" and so he decides to call it quits.