Penei Sowell tests positive, will miss rookie minicamp

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I personally know 3 people that got both shots, and still got Covid.

One got the long-lasting one.

Getting Covid after getting the shots isn't rare or weird. It is called Breakthru Covid.

It still makes sense to get the shots.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":369bqh4k said:

Getting Covid after getting the shots isn't rare or weird. It is called Breakthru Covid.

It's only considered a "breakthrough infection" if you are hospitalized. Otherwise the CDC doesn't give two craps, which means that there's probably tons of people actively infected and spreading it because they're not sick enough to be hospitalized.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1spenc1c said:
TwistedHusky":1spenc1c said:

It's only considered a "breakthrough infection" if you are hospitalized. Otherwise the CDC doesn't give two craps, which means that there's probably tons of people actively infected and spreading it because they're not sick enough to be hospitalized.

I wouldn't say that the CDC doesn't give a crap about about mild infections. The problem is that they are difficult to track as many go unreported. Hospitalizations and deaths are much more accurate metrics.

Current numbers I saw this morning in our local paper is that breakthrough infections are still rare, about 6%, but that they were just 2% a few weeks ago.

I'll go a step beyond saying that it still makes sense to get the poke. It's a no brainer.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
All 3 were breakthroughs. And yes, you better believe they track down where it came from and that the CDC reports on it.

The moment all 3 were in the hospital, they starting the trace to figure out where it came from and who else they were in contact with.

One of the cases was a 40-year-old co-worker of my SO, another was my nephew's 19-year-old gf.

Our close friend, who had it for over 6 months, is in her 30s. Not sure this stuff is following the old rules. They are all in great shape. None of them are old. All had both shots.

The shots protect you against Delta, but they don't completely prevent it. And this new stuff is ridiculously contagious.

The hospital my SO works at expects another shutdown this winter. We will see. But they basically prepared everyone for it. Also, infection prevention already is sending out announcements for all employees to avoid not just indoor events, but outdoor events too.

I think we have to just get used to some of the restrictions for a while. But the hope is we don't need any more shutdowns.