Penny...Hyde...Carson...

IndyHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":2u5204bq said:
JayhawkMike":2u5204bq said:
It always amazes me that people add Penny to lists like this and lists of good draft picks. He is not good. Heck, Deejay has 3 total TDs and Penny only has 5.

We should have picked the MUCH higher rated CHUBB! Huge miss

Penny's not good? This is a stupid post. Continuing to judge his play or value to the team based on his draft position, or on who was taken after him, rather than his actual play, is emotionally driven and irrational.

Penny averaged nearly 6 ypc last year, for f^c#'s sake. And he was on an absolute tear before he got hurt. He put up 236 yards and 3 TDs on 29 carries and 6 targets against Philly and Minny.

The dude is an explosive running back with a knack for huge plays. Getting him back makes this team much, much better. Full stop.
Totally agree..

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
How about an objective definition of “good”?

Out of that draft we have (career)
Saquan Barkley - early first round 2344 yds and 17 TDs
Sony Michel 2016 yds and 14 TDs
Nick Chubb - 2951 yards and 21 TDs
Karryon Johnson - 1156 yds and 10 tds
Ronald Jones Jr. - 1498 yds and 12 TDs
Royce Freeman - 1096 yards and 8 TDs
Nyhein Hines - 1010 yds and 6 TDs

Rashad Penny- 789 yds and 5 TDs.

Not listed - Derrida Guice released after rape allegation

Awesome pick? Not at all. If you have something more Substantive than “ he looked good for a game or two before he was injured” let me know.

He is a Bust. I expect nothing this year as not only is he coming off injury but has a history of not caring enough to be in shape when he is supposed to be.

Penny is a 3rd round quality pick chosen in the first round performing like a 5th round pick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":iuo747q3 said:

Not listed - Derrida Guice released after r@p* allegation

Awesome pick? Not at all. If you have something more Substantive than “ he looked good for a game or two before he was injured” let me know.

He is a Bust. I expect nothing this year as not only is he coming off injury but has a history of not caring enough to be in shape when he is supposed to be.

Penny is a 3rd round quality pick chosen in the first round performing like a 5th round pick.

You conveniently left out the number of carries per player. Because had you included that it would show that Penny had considerable less carries than most of those players. If he had the same number of carries based on his avg you he would right there with the rest of that pack. Penny only had 150 carries.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ae0y7dn said:
JayhawkMike":3ae0y7dn said:

Not listed - Derrida Guice released after r@p* allegation

You conveniently left out the number of carries per player. Because had you included that it would show that Penny had considerable less carries than most of those players. If he had the same number of carries based on his avg you he would right there with the rest of that pack. Penny only had 150 carries.
150 vs Sony Michael's 482.

Not a great career output . Actually rather poor.

Genka

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3p5gi8yc said:
It always amazes me that people add Penny to lists like this and lists of good draft picks. He is not good. Heck, Deejay has 3 total TDs and Penny only has 5.

We should have picked the MUCH higher rated CHUBB! Huge miss

This year I would’ve been really happy with Dobbins also

Genka

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1k7b3vhf said:
Time will tell on Queen and Brooks. I could be wrong. But again, Queen was a position of need and BPA at the time we drafted Brooks.

Legit curious why the pundits are liking Queen so much if his pff is so bad?

I am also. Brooks hasn’t been amazing but definitely has not been bad. Maybe would’ve been nice to get him in the 2nd and got a pass rusher with the 1st but he has not been bad. He has speed that is lacking now with Bobby and KJ. I think he could end up being really good. Personally I haven’t felt any sort of regret once Brooks started playing.

chris98251

Reaction score
You also have to look at it from another perspective, Penny was going to be a platoon back, that was what we were shooting for, we had a injured Carson and wanted insurance, we also were looking at the platoon situation and a different look back.

He was never going to get 500 carries a season under the original concept.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Wenhawk":38mc2ax3 said:
LTH":38mc2ax3 said:
oldhawkfan":38mc2ax3 said:
Anyone know when Penny will be back?

he should be back for the next game..

LTH

Pete said it should be next game, but if not for sure the game after that.

I’ll believe it when he’s moved to the active roster

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
chris98251":2zmqfaks said:
You also have to look at it from another perspective, Penny was going to be a platoon back, that was what we were shooting for, we had a injured Carson and wanted insurance, we also were looking at the platoon situation and a different look back.

He was never going to get 500 carries a season under the original concept.

^this.
Almost any of the other backs listed in this thread would have been used roughly the same way. Any of them would have had to beat out Carson. When Penny was drafted Carson was coming off a horrible injury with no idea whether or not he would contribute that season.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Mark this post...I used to be on the other side too. I know where you're coming from.

But.....

Penny's going to show out in this offense. I 100% believe that.

And I used to be adamant about calling him a bust.

We should all hope that he tears it up on his return.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good problem to possibly have. 3 Solid backs, and Cason is VERY good.
You're right, we not only should want Penny to ball out, we need the guy. An extra versatile RB with fresh legs? Yes please...…
It's not about who's right or wrong about Penny, it's the fact that we have seen what he can do when he's healthy.
Sure he hasn't lived up to the high draft pick, but that doesn't mean he's even close to being done.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I hate it when good OP's go off the rails like this one.

I LOVE the thought of Carson, Penny, and Hyde as a backfield triumvirate. Death to defenses.

kf3339

Reaction score
In this day and age nearly every RB gets hurt at some point in the season. To worry about this back or that back is just stupid.

The trick is to have at least 3-4 good runners for the position. We have that now. The odds of losing both Carson and Hyde to injury that close are together was very low. Just bad luck. Now add in Penny and we should be in great shape down the stretch.

I don't care about next year at all. We are in the hunt this year and will soon have three very capable backs to help carry the rock. That's a good sign!

Own The West

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1lt84c9j said:
hawkfan68":1lt84c9j said:
JayhawkMike":1lt84c9j said:

150 vs Sony Michael's 482.

Not a great career output . Actually rather poor.

Not sure where you were going with that, but 482/150 = 3.2; 3.2 x 789 = 2,524; 3.2 x 5 = 16.

2524 yds and 16 TDs > 2016 yds and 14 TDs

Dude's not bad. Just been hurt.

For comparison, Carson is 640 for 2912 and 19 TDs (+6 TD receiving if that's in your stats).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3huwgwh7 said:

Not listed - Derrida Guice released after rape allegation

Objectively, he HAS been good when he plays. Like, VERY good.

His total added value is low due to injuries, and I'd agree that he's ended up being a bad pick due to his total added value and the fact that he's playing a low value position anyway.

Both viewpoints are correct. Rashaad Penny has comparable or better talent than most of the running backs you listed, but injuries have derailed him to the point where his lack of availability has rendered him an inconsequential factor in the success of the offense and the team overall.

I'm unwilling to blame the front office for his injuries. They clearly hit on his talent, and he was the opposite of a medical red flag coming into the league. The real mistake was picking a running back to begin with, and I do have a big problem with them doing that.

EDIT: Keeping the above in mind, it's totally valid to be excited about him coming back. He's a huge threat when he's on the field. Having that boost down the stretch is an exciting proposition.

capncrunch

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ub9neozt said:
Good problem to possibly have. 3 Solid backs, and Cason is VERY good.
You're right, we not only should want Penny to ball out, we need the guy. An extra versatile RB with fresh legs? Yes please...…
It's not about who's right or wrong about Penny, it's the fact that we have seen what he can do when he's healthy.
Sure he hasn't lived up to the high draft pick, but that doesn't mean he's even close to being done.

Excellent post. We have seen Penny play some great ball. I am sure we all want to see that again and soon. Russ can't cook all the time. Wow. It's exciting to think of all three of them playing healthy and destroying any team in the league.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I love the idea of Carson,Hyde and Penny with Collins on P.S.
After that one season at the end where we had no RB's .
That opened my eyes.