Penny once again a none factor

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":tizj7eav said:
Meh, time to concentrate on Sunday. Rehashing this over and over again won't fix it.

Neither will people who don't play for the team "concentrating" on the 1-6 Falcons.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2blt91pk said:
Fair enough. Dwell and whine about Penny for years to come, have at it.

Do you have to be involved in every discussion? It should have been obvious from the title what it was about. When I see a thread about something I don't care about, I just ignore it; I'm not so arrogant that I have to let everyone in it know that what they're talking about isn't worthy of my insight.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Lighten up man, I'm just messing with you. Relax.
I would love to see him get more of a chance. You wonder at this point if he ever will get a chance. He clearly has skills. Oh well, hopefully he'll get it rolling sooner than later. He has a skill set that can contribute to this team.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rat":pavxykmw said:
Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself with Collier. It's too early to make any declarations on him, although our pass rush has been terrible the past few weeks, and it would have nice if he had been ready to make an impact sooner.
Well said. Time will tell. It's not unreasonable to have at least a bit of concern at this point.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Rat":3mcv6k7n said:
SoulfishHawk":3mcv6k7n said:
Fair enough. Dwell and whine about Penny for years to come, have at it.

Do you have to be involved in every discussion? It should have been obvious from the title what it was about. When I see a thread about something I don't care about, I just ignore it; I'm not so arrogant that I have to let everyone in it know that what they're talking about isn't worthy of my insight.

Fish is a homer and can't tolerate legitimate critical insight about the Seahawks . He thinks that I'm a 49ers fan lurking around in here . LOL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Get over it xray, you don't like me, I don't like you. Big deal, it's a message board. Not even worth the effort. Have a great day.
Go Hawks

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21rxbque said:
Get over it xray, you don't like me, I don't like you. Big deal, it's a message board. Not even worth the effort. Have a great day.
Go Hawks
I find it funny that you removed your avatar with ET3 29 jersey before the Ravens game . Did ya burn it yet ? :lol:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":tk3p8anc said:
Once again proves that 1st round picks by our team turn out to be completely $h!t. The picks should be traded for proven players instead. We should have gone after Ramsey for 2 first rounders and our defense would have looked much different with one side of our field shutdown.

Yes because of the trade down trade down then reach cycle. Maybe they should quit trading out of good draft position and get a better player.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Looks like Penny and Chubb had the same number of yards on Sunday. That’s with Chubb’s team having a bye.

It’s also a false narrative to extrapolate based on YPC. If Penny had more carries teams would adjust.

The facts are pretty simple. IF the team was worried about Carson they should have drafted Chubb. If they were worried about Procise they should have drafted Penny. Some here believed it was a stupid pick the second it was made. So far it was a stupid pick. He can still prove us wrong.

It’s funny that some of the Pete can do no wrong crowd blame Pete for Penny not playing more. Pete’s actions are saying Penny is a wasted pick.

AlaskaHAWK

Reaction score
Maybe Penny is actually not to bad if we used him correctly or at least to his strengths. Why not have both Carson and Penny in on some plays. Mix it up where Carson is used for his strengths like up the gut and Penny might be used more in space. If we had some run play creativity the opposing defense might get caught off guard. It also could to lead to some pass play creativity where we might use either running back for some short to medium pass plays. I know. I know. I am talking crazy stuff here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1x9kj0d2 said:
Current NFL - Rushing stats from pro-football-reference.com

----Nick Chubb, Cleveland
2019: 6 games, 114 carries for 607 yds, 5.3-YPC, 6-TD's
Career: 22 games, 306 carries for 1603-yds, 5.2-YPC, 14-TD's
Career Average 13.90 carries & 72.8-yards - per game

----Chris Carson, Seattle
2019: 7 games, 139 carries for 569 yds, 4.1-YPC, 2-TD's
Career: 25-games, 435 carries for 1928-yds, 4.4-YPC, 11-TD's
Career Average 17.4 carries & 77.12-yards - per game

----Rashaad Penny, Seattle
2019: 4 games, 22 carries for 98-yds, 4.5-YPC, 1-TD
Career: 18 games, 107 carries for 517 yds, 4.8-YPC, 3-TD's
Career Average 5.94 carries & 28.72-yards - per game.
(IF Penny had the same # of career carries as Chubb = 306 x 4.8 = 1469-yds)
(IF Penny had the same # of career carries as Carson = 435 x 4,8 = 2088-yds)

My conclusions:
Penny is averaging 5.94 carries per game that he is in. He is just not getting enough work to shine as bright as he could. PC obviously is using Carson as a grind and pound guy & that isn't Penny's strength, however the vast majority of Penny's carries are "up the middle" and as such, Penny is not being used enough to capitalize on his biggest strength - in the open field. IMO- PC is giving Penny "on the job training" to improve his inside running (which better fits PC's game plans.) Again I'll point out that when Penny was given his highest # of carries (12) in his career so far, he produced a 100+ yard game.

I think PC is going to ride Carson at RB until he is (1) hurt again, (2) he continues fumbling or (3) he under performs in multiple games. I think PC is attempting to make Penny into more of an "up the gut" runner, similar to Carson and he's doing so as a hedge to the eventual loss of Carson due to one of the above circumstances. This to insure that PC keeps his "style" of run first play I'd guess.

I'd also say that if Chubb had been drafted instead of Penny, that the RB situation here could be pretty close to the same. Carson is PC's guy right now and Chubb may have had a similar problem to Penny in getting enough carries to shine - specifically in PC's system. Additionally, IIRC, Chubb was a BIG medical risk when he entered the draft and as a result he may end up having a very short career. Penny may be more of an Alexander than a Lynch type but we also need to keep in mind that Alexander was a league MVP.

Also note, Penny is averaging a career 4.8 YPC, even though the majority of his carries are up the middle. What would his #'s be if they used him more - to his real strength - in the open field????

:smilingalien:

Great post. :2thumbs: Penny hasn't had the opportunities. At the time he was drafted, Carson was a big question mark. Props to Carson for becoming the #1 back and for the most part staying healthy. Penny has shown flashes but with his limited carries it is difficult to get into a rhythm. Alex Collins had the same issue when he was here too. Then he exploded with the Ravens. If Penny is traded and he does well, most of those griping about him now will be griping again. Right now he has little in trade value. If he is given opportunities and starts producing his value will rise but then it may be better to keep him. This situation requires a little patience to work itself out. At least he isn't underperforming like Ifedi.

Seahawks could have had Eddie Jackson instead of Tedric Thompson. JS blew that one too and that was a 4th round pick. Draft picks are just that.....crap shoot.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3s3q9dms said:
northseahawk":3s3q9dms said:
Once again proves that 1st round picks by our team turn out to be completely $h!t. The picks should be traded for proven players instead. We should have gone after Ramsey for 2 first rounders and our defense would have looked much different with one side of our field shutdown.
Wait, I'm confused. People piss and moan when the Hawks do trade first round picks for proven players (Branch, Harvin, Graham, etc.). But then they also piss and moan when the Hawks first round selections don't pan out. What gives?

Well it's because it was fro Branch Harvin and Graham and 1st round picks that didn't work out

I bet JS was pissing and moaning about it as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
I can see why they didn't use him in a slippery field recovering from a Hamstring injury, one slip and he could be back to square one.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think Penny has talent, but I also think it's clear Carroll's given up on him. You could probably trade him for a mid-round pick to a team who's going to be higher in the draft order anyway. Kid gets a fresh start, the Hawks get a roster space that they can use to bring in someone that they like. At this point, that's what's closest to a win-win for both.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Penny is not a good back, yards per carry is a bad metric. Once upon a time Felix Jones regularly led the NFL in yards per carry. When he got more carries those numbers came down significantly. Penny is a very flawed running back. The first thing about Penny is his vision is marginal at best. He struggles to see creases through the middle unless it is obvious, staring him in the face. Penny also tends to dance around the LOS, very hesitant as a runner. Penny is also very bad at running through contact. He goes down way too easy through arm tackles.

Penny is not a good running back. He can only do one thing well, and that is bouncing runs to the outside, he is also okay as a receiver. What we essentially have is a third down back that is bad at pass blocking. Another thing to note is Penny looks lost at times in the offense. Whenever he is on the field it seems he needs a little extra direction from Wilson. I'm not sure he understands the offense well.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3m0gsy38 said:
northseahawk":3m0gsy38 said:
Wait, I'm confused. People piss and moan when the Hawks do trade first round picks for proven players (Branch, Harvin, Graham, etc.). But then they also piss and moan when the Hawks first round selections don't pan out. What gives?
How about picking a player that does an out. Throw a dart at a board and you will do better than PC in the early rounds

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, I'm not sure why the avatar stopped showing up, thx for pointing it out. Didn't even know it wasn't showing up :irishdrinkers: