Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
Kidhawk - question. Can't you push the signing bonus money for upcoming year towards next years cap? Like a post June cut?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":2roox3lj said:
Jazzhawk":2roox3lj said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/925140139852021760[/tweet]

LOL! I didn't know Odhiambo was rank dead last. I knew he was bad, but I didn't know he was THAT bad.

Man, that's a good trade. But Brown's age worries me.
See my note above on the age concern.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Wow this is awesome. How long till brown hurts himself? OK I kid. I had to do it b4 someone did.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/925148925866020864[/tweet]

Nice!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Now we should just trade for Alex Collins and we'll be set. (Ha! I kid)

LolaRox

Reaction score
Tobin and/or Battle could be also be cut now. No need for all these inadequate tackles on the roster.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":i8zl3spu said:
Jazzhawk":i8zl3spu said:
Now we should just trade for Alex Collins and we'll be set. (Ha! I kid)

Too soon. I'm still a little bitter over that one.
LOL...sorry. But you know everyone is thinking about Collins right about now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":308r1br1 said:
Kidhawk - question. Can't you push the signing bonus money for upcoming year towards next years cap? Like a post June cut?

They could, but I believe to do that they'd have to keep him at this years salary which we can't afford, but if they tear up his old deal and give him a brand new (let's say) 5 year deal, we could easily give him a little bump this year ($6 million) as a signing bonus (instead of the just under $5 million) and it would easily fit under our approximate $2 million in cap room. Then we could give him more realistic numbers moving forward. I would find it more likely that he'd get whatever he is owed for this season converted to a signing bonus so he gets paid today for the rest of the year, then give him 3 to 4 more years on top of this year at a fairly substantial rate of pay.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
renofox":4x72rxoh said:
HawkFan72":4x72rxoh said:
Jazzhawk":4x72rxoh said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/925142174043340806[/tweet]

Don't like that 2019 2nd rounder, but hopefully he's worth it so that I won't care by then.

3× Pro Bowl (2012–2014)
First-team All-Pro (2012)
Second-team All-Pro (2011)

If he performs at the level he is capable of, and we get a decent new contract, this trade is a steal.

Even if he slightly underperforms, it's not that bad of a gamble.

YOUR GUY IS OUT BOYYYYYY. :lol:

JS was probably watching that Russell Wilson highlights video and saw Nodhiambo getting blown up. ORrrrrr he saw how good Russell is when we have competent pass pro.

The days of Aaron Donald and Jadaveon Clowney destroying our line is over. Shhh only dreams now.
This drastically improves the team and gives us more time to work out the run kinks were currently having.

Run the ball to the left every time. We prob only need 50-80 yards from the run game to allow Russell to bomb play actions at least 10 times a game. Still think Rawls can be that guy.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rqt9x2p said:
mikeak":1rqt9x2p said:

They could, but I believe to do that they'd have to keep him at this years salary which we can't afford, but if they tear up his old deal and give him a brand new (let's say) 5 year deal, we could easily give him a little bump this year ($6 million) as a signing bonus (instead of the just under $5 million) and it would easily fit under our approximate $2 million in cap room. Then we could give him more realistic numbers moving forward. I would find it more likely that he'd get whatever he is owed for this season converted to a signing bonus so he gets paid today for the rest of the year, then give him 3 to 4 more years on top of this year at a fairly substantial rate of pay.

Sorry misunderstood

Lane's money moves to next years cap, salary goes to Houston and creates cap room this year and we take a small hit next year

bigskydoc

Reaction score
kidhawk":3lvkryw1 said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year. It only frees up future cap space. Brown is scheduled to make almost $5 million this year ($4.946471) to be exact. We have about $2 million in cap space. We could extend Graham if we want to keep him that would lower his cap value enough this year to fit Brown in under what we need. Or we could feasibly get Brown a new contract that pays him his salary for this season as a bonus (heck we could realistically give him a bit of a raise) and spread it out over the length of a new contract to get him under the cap we have. It'll be interesting to see what happens. We could have traded Lane, but I want to be clear that move in itself does not clear the space we need for Brown.

While you are absolutely right, if you think just a little more creatively, it is entirely possible that the Lane trade gives us the necessary space. Hear me out.

If We can restructure Brown's contract to spread that hit into next year, against the space created by trading Lane, then the Lane trade gives us the necessary cap space for the trade. We still have to come up with the 9.75 additional he is due next year.

Edited to add: Guess I should finish reading the thread before responding.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Fade":kbwa36bo said:
kidhawk":kbwa36bo said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year.
Not correct according to the salary cap calculator on overthecap.com

Seattle gains $1.5M in cap space by trading him. Go to 2017 -> Find Jeremy Lane and select trade transaction.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/seattle-seahawks/

I'm pretty sure you're reading that wrong. The remainder of his signing bonus ($2.5 million) accelerates to this year, and the Texans take over his base salaries. So, as a whole (long term) we gain back his salary for this season ($2.117 million) but eat the accelerated bonus ($2.5 million). This saves us future cap but not this season.

Edit: I suppose it may be possible to push half the accelerated cap hit into next season, but we have to eat it one way or the other and either way it's not enough to bring in Brown because we were almost $3 million short of being able to afford him right now. The smartest move would be to restructure Browns contract with an extension and eat the accelerated bonus for Lane now.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JessamynMcIntyr/status/925151147744116736[/tweet]

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DDMon710/status/925151058380210176[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DeviBrown/status/925150543806390273[/tweet]

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Are you kidding this is sooooo GOOD, Jermey Lane has been playing awful on one fo the best defences in the game. Literally the only thing I’m concerned about is the 2nd which I’m perfectly fine paying to protect our QB instead of watching him run for his life

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can Russell pay him the difference from his own salary? He’s got to be tired!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/925151557334712321[/tweet]

Status
Not open for further replies.